GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lads/Lassies,
Just thought I would make you guys aware of what could have happened to me tonight. I went out tonight to pick my Daughter up from a friends, and went in my wifes Civic, which was parked in front of my Skyline. While I was away my wife said that the front door handle was wrenched up and down several times(my wife thought it was me returning) . When she went to see what was happening, she looked out of the window (as the dogs were barking), and saw a guy at the door asking for the keys for my car, He had a large pole with a hook.(from all accounts they stick it through the letter box where most people leave there keys)she then went to get the phone to ring the police, and the guy ran off. The police say this is a problem for them at the moment with exotica cars, and are being stolen to order. It's at eperdemic proportions, and ther are not able to cope. So the motto of the story is please beware!!!!!!. they want your car. Mine is only a 4 door GTS R32, so just imagine if it was a GTR!!!!!!!!!!.

take care.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
This reminds me of the story I heard where someone had their house broken into and the thieve(s) demanded the keys to the car. If I remember right they handed them over. Scary stuff. Keep it locked in the garage, the keys hidden in the house and keep a cattle prod handy for any intruders;)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beware

Dave,
You are right(if you have a garage!). But I have heard that one insurance company refused to pay up, the reason being that you made it easy for them by handing over the keys!!!. What you are expected to do when someone is standing over your bed demanding your keys who knows!!!!!!!!!!!.

Paul.

·
Registered
720 Posts
The guys that fitted the alarm system to my car last week, said they have been warned by the local police ( to tell their customers ). That there is currently a group of thieves
going round that break into your house and look for your car keys, find them and have it away with your car. Makes your alarm system pretty useless!. Got me thinking very seriously about this, as we have had some local burglaries lately. I'm now thinking of putting a CCTV system in my garage, just for peace of mind!

Jason.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tracking systems?

How much are tracking systems in the UK? Can thieves remove the device easily? I assume that it is GPS or GSM and when they install they can hide the units.

/Dan

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beware

Dan,
Yes we have these systems, I guess a professonal Thief could find these, but I have been told that these Theives, steal the cars and leave them somewhere remote for a day or two, and if they are not picked up, then taken to there hideaway.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Tracker

is great as long as it is not found. But the thieves only have a small window so chances are if they know it has a tracker then they only have a bit of time.
As for precautions, if someone wants your car that much then you might as well give it up...bullet or the car?? mmm (and this has happened!! being held at gun point)
I think it is not worth causing mass panic just take precautions:
- NEVER give your real addres out when changing tyres or going somewhere other than you know (the scrote at the till may have a mate who would like to know the latest database entries especially a GTR!!)
- always check the mirrors when going home
- always do a double loop ( I got followed the other night but I stopped in the road, then pulled over and he knew he was clocked)
- Always have a pit bull to hand or large metal bar!
I think we all know this and above all get a garage to keep the car out of sight if you can.
Enjoy it while you can I guess!!
Nick

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Concerned

At the moment where I work there has been a recent rise is car related crime.. specificaly car jacking ( 3 in the last week). , If i stop and think about what goes on I would never take my Skyline anywhere ( I would leave it for transport for wife and kids and i would use the Volvo all the time), The estate where I work is next to two large estares that could be called the crime capital of UK, I am even considering not buying a radar detector but upgrading my alarm system, there is only so much precaution you can take though...

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Any thoughts on the Blackjack system built into some Clifford Concept G4 alarms? It's a pain in the ar5e but it seems an effective anti hijack function.

If a door is opened whilst the car is running, after you close the door again, you have to re-input your alarm code or the alarm sounds after ?? seconds followed by a complete shutdown after another ?? seconds. I have to admit to having this function disabled at the moment and is a real pain if you take your car to a garage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 200sx was nearly stolen two weeks ago. I came out of my friends flat in Manchester and saw it going down the street backwards!! I ran after it and found a bloke sitting in it driving it. Fortunately the immobiliser cut the fuel and the car although running, could generate no power and eventually stalled. They must have known what they were doing though to even get the car started. Think they take a direct feed from the battery to the starter motor. Anyway, he stayed in the car for about two minutes trying to get it going, only when he realised he couldn't did he get out and then he had the cheek to offer us a fight. However, he had a very wrench and so we were not too interested. His mate had since sped off in another car. Apparently car crime is increasing massively at the moment and such cars are being stolen to order.

On the keys front this happened to a friend of mine. They used a 'stick and hook' method to steal the keys to his Fiat Bravo from a table inside the house! I guess you can only do so much, if they really want it they'll have it!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Clifford

Well I have heard that Clifford have gone bust so I would be a little concerned in investing in any of their "technology"
Can anyone confirm this is true??
I would speak with your local alarm fitter or the one who put yours on to see what sort of guarantees they are offering.
This happened with Code alarms but Toad took them over and backed all the old systems.
Worth asking though as Clifford was supposed to be a "lifetime" guarantee so this is in question.

Nick

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Who was it that had their car taken off them whilst getting petrol last year. Tracker got the car back if I remember but not a nice thing to happen.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That would not be Paul.
Unless they drove off with the Petrol Nozzle still attached:D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the info on deleting my doubleposts!! They're gone now!!!:)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Car thefts

Oi Peggy and Davina behave or I'll crown ya with a 'nozzle'.:D

All this car theft talk is getting me even more paranoid.
I believe in destiny.If it's gonna happen it will happen !:confused:

I do feel sorry for people having been involved in car jackings,car thefts,or any kind of crime for that matter but 'Ce la vie'. :(

As was said previously if they want it they're going to get it !

1 - 20 of 34 Posts