GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
My R32 runs 420hp (flywheel) at 1 bar and 470hp at 1.4 bar. I can tell you that on the road I've only ever driven it a handful of times at high boost. Low boost gives more than enough usable power.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
As said before it isnt the power figure

A 600bhp GTST with few mods other than a huge old turbo could be a real pain to drive. wheras

A properly sorted and mapped RB30 with say an EFR or similar could easily make 800bhp or more and is likely to be a much easier machine to drive ..............

You dont have to put your foot to the floor

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I was never in the hunt for bhp numbers or drag racing so I decided with my build to focus more on torque and response like the guys from Mines and MCR did back in the day.
Mine makes 540bhp ath (or 610 bhp flywheel pub talk power lol) with just under 500ftlbs of torque at around 4000rpms. This, I sometimes feel is still quite far out of reach and it sometimes feels like I have to wait for that power to become available on the road for example pulling out onto a fast road with out revving the nuts off it like a bellend at a junction. Some would say I'm not driving it properly lol.
I would love to have that power come in at 3000rpms or less (but that could be difficult with a 2.8 running twins with a quite restrictive exhaust system etc etc) and be able to use it much more easily. Don't get me wrong the car is quick when it wants to be but to be able to use all ''610bhp'' on the roads is impossible. Motorways and drag strips is where that hp is usable.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Within reason it's down to the spec and build.

I have driven 600-700bhp GT-Rs that are horrible.
no power until 5,000rpm then it all arrives and is over with quickly.

But then I've also driven cars with the same headline figures that were smooth, made power far earlier and were just nice to drive.

This morning I drove my 800bhp R34 to work, an hour into London.
Only with a broken down lorry at a major junction it turned into two hours...
And the car was nice to drive. Clutch not too heavy, easy to drive in start/stop traffic.
Power builds nicely as you approach 4,000rpm and then goes mental above it.

Likewise my R32 that makes around 680bhp is a dream to drive normally as it spools up at a bit over 3,000rpm with the twin EFR Turbos.

Headline figures and drivability are very different.
The first is easy, the latter needs skill and deep pockets in my opinion to get right.

·
Registered
106 Posts
truupR,

Why not put a shorter final drive in there, or change to a 6SP Getrag?

That will get you the useable power and drivability mechanically rather than messing around with the motor / turbo / tune - sounds like you have a really good setup as it is tbf

Talking from my own experience, I've just put the 4.1FD into my 34 which consisted of an R33GTR rear diff and a new crown wheel and pinion set from Nissan Japan. It's transformed the car, where the Nissan gearing used to feel long (compared to a Honda [DC5 also]) the car now feels perfectly geared, much better for road imo.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
500 in a 32gtr is daft. My Mates is on 2860-5 turbos with cams forged goodies etc.. it revs nicely and it kicks hard at 1.2 bar (calm boost by -5 turbo standard.. they go to 1.6 or 7 so that's about 600 I hear?
It's a little laggy around the 3-4k area but it's still pulling really well and it's actually kinda a nice feel as in it makes that big power feel really progressive. But then you can launch it and it'll take off. On B roads it's amazing.

But I do agree there is alot of power band you feel you aren't getting to use on the road.. but if your okay with that and know the grunt is there if you need it you'll lurrrve it! If you love being slammed in the seat in 2nd and 3rd then back off those tubs and goodies will def do that for you ;)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
My mates got 4.375 diffs in his R32. Coupled with an RB30 it's a terrific drive. Bit of a screamer on a motorway but very responsive.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
truupR,

Why not put a shorter final drive in there, or change to a 6SP Getrag?

That will get you the useable power and drivability mechanically rather than messing around with the motor / turbo / tune - sounds like you have a really good setup as it is tbf

Talking from my own experience, I've just put the 4.1FD into my 34 which consisted of an R33GTR rear diff and a new crown wheel and pinion set from Nissan Japan. It's transformed the car, where the Nissan gearing used to feel long (compared to a Honda [DC5 also]) the car now feels perfectly geared, much better for road imo.
Agreed, done the same in mine and it feels quicker off the line and sharper with throttle response.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My car made 560whp with twin 2860-5's and I have full boost at 2500rpm with 0 lag which always amazes me once I get behind the wheel. I believe that 450-500whp would be ideal for a street car as long as its responsive at low rpm.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My car made 560whp with twin 2860-5's and I have full boost at 2500rpm with 0 lag which always amazes me once I get behind the wheel. I believe that 450-500whp would be ideal for a street car as long as its responsive at low rpm.
Wow full boost at 2500rpms that thing must be a weapon! Is that an anti-lag set up or something?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah responsiveness and low-down power makes all the difference when driving a car in normal conditions.

The thing that I'm unsure of is, if I had a 450bhp car vs a 600+ bhp car, both fantastically mapped - would I really have a use for that extra 150+ bhp on a public road? Is there any point spending an extra few grand on bigger turbos, and more supporting mods to raise the limit of the car to a point I'll never be able to reach, unless I take it to a track.

What I'm trying to get at is - is it even cost effective to keep spending more and more for bigger bhp and more torque when 450bhp is already too fast for a public road? Would I just be wasting money for power I'll never get to use without stepping into prison sentence speeds in a few seconds. People boast about massive bhp numbers and huge top speeds 'omg my car can do 170+mph' but it's like, in all honesty when on gods green earth are you going to be doing that speed on a public road?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My tuner could not believe it either. He told me a major reason for this was the porting made my Tomoji Nakamura of Trial Tuning spirit in Japan. My bottom end is stock N1 btw might have something to do with it? I love the response It's like having a 560whp car fm factory. High boost of course rarely gets used.Have the car at 450whp at 1.3 and 560whp at 1.6 atm.

·
Registered
142 Posts
truupR said:
...if I had a 450bhp car vs a 600+ bhp car, both fantastically mapped - would I really have a use for that extra 150+ bhp on a public road?
Absolutely not.

truupR said:
Is there any point spending an extra few grand on bigger turbos, and more supporting mods to raise the limit of the car to a point I'll never be able to reach?
There isn't.

truupR said:
...is it even cost effective to keep spending more and more for bigger bhp and more torque when 450bhp is already too fast for a public road? Would I just be wasting money for power I'll never get to use without stepping into prison sentence speeds in a few seconds.
No, and yes. :chuckle:

I fully believe that we buy, build and drive these types of cars with love, not with logic. There's probably a good psychological reason for why we chase numbers; perhaps they provide some sort of quantifiable validation for the time and money we spend on them. Modifications generally detract from a car's market value so demonstrable HP/PS figures could also justify a higher resale price, but outside of this there really isn't any practical purpose for them.

If either the bragging rights, or the journey of planning, collecting parts and putting them together makes you happy, then go for it, the sky is the limit. If neither of those things sound like they are worth the exorbitant amounts of money you'll spend along the way, there's nothing wrong with just keeping the car clean and maintained, driving it and enjoying it as-is.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Full boost at 2500rpm on a RB26 with -5's?
I find that a bit hard to believe......can we see a boost graph of this?
This is the latest one I have fm the day we dynoed it

Was just what my tuner said when we were maping out in the street, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
That's the power graph....were is the boost pressure graph? That doesn't show us anything.
I would say it's making positive boost at 2500rpm, but not much chance of it making max boost at that rpm on -5 turbos.....more like 4500rpm

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I don't understand how you can say that has zero lag.
My R32 makes more power earlier with a wider power band.
And it has some lag.

It looks like yours is starting to spool at 2,500rpm, not on full boost then.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
For comparison here is my graph, now runs 50bhp more at hte top end but this was the first map. I can't find the 2nd one currently.
Excuse the crap wobbly bit at the top where the 4x4 was coming in and out.

Look at where the power and torque are in th rev range, and it's still got lag under 3,000rpm IMO. Lag is just a part of turbo cars generally.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Dont have the boost graph matey its what my tuner said he might have been wrong I have no idea not really into the technical stuff thats why i posted the dyno :) Point here is that it feels way too fast for a street car therefore i believe 450-500whp would be ideal for street use and some fun!(in reply to the op's question)

21 - 40 of 65 Posts