GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I HAVE tried the search button - honest !
Can you convert one to the other like inches & centimetres, gallons & litres etc., or are the two not related in any way.
I understand basic mechanics, but I can't get my head round this.
Is it like volts & amps - they are both measures of electricity, but do two different things. (I can put 30000 volts through me but no harm if it's milliamps, but 230v & 13 amps can see me off no problem - Sorry, I'm waffling now.....)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't know if there's any sort of conversion for it. As I understand it, BHP is more related to top speed. The more horsepower the engine has, the higher it's potential maximum speed, whereas torque is the rotational force of the engine turning the crank, etc, and so a higher torque figure makes a car accelerate faster becuase it's easier for it to overcome the weight of the car.

Although science was never something I was good at in school. I suspect I may be getting corrected very soon. :p

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Best way most people understand it is related to boxing.

HP is how fast you can punch
Torque is how hard you can punch

You can easily convert lb/ft to nm and can convert HP to KW and everything else.

One thing that a lot of people I've met don't realise is that you can't actually measure power, you can only measure torque, then calculate the power from that torque figure...........using the calculations laid out above by Mr Fuggles :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
You can't measure torque, only force.

Oh wait a minute, you can't measure force, only voltage changes.

Oh wait a minute you can't measure voltage changes, you can only measure current changes with a reference resistance.

Someone will always be able to pick more holes, so it's pointless to be the first one.

Torque is not a fundamental (or base) unit, neither is power or speed come to think of it, so why bother. Innertia dynos calculate torque from the power btw.

Paul

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just a guess but I remember this being said once... BHP = work done and torque is the force.

1Bhp = a horse pulling a weight against gravity (up a well) or something like that.

Torque is force so kg/m etc..

I'm sure someone will know this better than I.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just a guess but I remember this being said once... BHP = work done and torque is the force.

1Bhp = a horse pulling a weight against gravity (up a well) or something like that.

Torque is force so kg/m etc..

I'm sure someone will know this better than I.
You got it bang on:clap:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think the weight was something like 330kg's. It was devised by James Watt. I believe it was originally created as a way of measuring the output of the steam engines he helped refine.

·
Registered
858 Posts
One horsepower is 33000 lb.ft / minute. Another really easy to understand imperial unit! (the mass lifted was 550lb / approx 250kg)

Worth noting is that:

BHP = (torque x rpm) / 5252.11

HP = (torque x rpm) / 7126.34
only stands when you are measuring power in BHP and torque in lb.ft - if you're talking PS / kW / Nm / kgm etc etc the numbers change.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, if I wasn't confused before - I am now. LOL.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
From what I understand, Torque is how much power you have, bhp is the application of that power.

Like a giant wheel on those old steam boat. It has insane torque if you actually calculate it, something like 2000lbs/ft or something like that, can't remember.

But since it only rotate at at like 12 rpm or something, it only makes something like 15bhp. I can't remember all the numbers, but this is the best case of something that have insane torque but zero power.

What that means is that this boat move loads of weight, but then it will not move fast. Hope it help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts