GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted to say hello to everyone on these forums from a very happy 1st time Skyline owner. I decided quite some time ago that the Nissan Skyline was one of my all time favorite cars, and was adamant I would own one some time in the future, but never thought that day would come so soon!

It all started when my current vehicle came of the road in Feb this year (long story – car too modified for its own good and combination of vehicles age (F) and Britain’s poor roads killed the bulkheads :mad: ), and I started driving my Mums car around whilst I saved up a little more. At 1st I was coming round to the idea of starting on an Evo 4 believe it or not, had seen a few I liked in good condition, and then came the insurance quotes… wow, almost as much as half of what I was going to pay for the car! I couldn’t believe it, after chatting to the nice man at the insurers for some time, about premiums, cars and why Evo’s amongst some others drive a high premium, he suggested looking at Toyota Supra’s and Skylines, as they would be cheaper to insure…

So, I found a couple of nice Supra’s but unfortunately they were automatic.. So bit the bullet and started looking at Skyline’s, not getting my hopes up too much fearing the insurance premiums. Started looking at R33 GTST and Type M’s found a couple of nice ones, so phoned for a quote.. The premium was still a lot more than I was expecting, however a friend at work who owns a R32 GTR suggested getting a quote on one of them instead, as should be cheaper, even though I couldn’t see how as they have an extra 100cc and an extra Turbo… How right he was, I was so shocked I had to phone a few insurers to make sure, and sure enough the R32 GTR is (for me anyway) up to a grand less to insure!

So, started looking around seriously now, read and followed the very helpful advice in these forums (thanks guys, great threads) with regards to Skyline systems, and started to go about test driving some I liked. Eventually I settled on a 94/95 Gunmetal Grey one, I think I made a good choice following the advice of these forums and a technical mechanical engineer that came with me. Out of the ones I test drove this one certainly seemed the smoothest, nice engine, nice gear box, and absolutely no problems with any of the systems including the HICAS. The only thing to let it down slightly was some deep stone chips and parking scratches on left rear quarter panel and a small dent in the right rear quarter panel. Fortunately the trader was open to a cash deal with this in mind and I managed to save myself what it would probably cost to get it sorted out! Good mileage too only around 38k miles.

I have to say after being with her for only one week now, I am so impressed and so happy, every time I get out of her I have a smile on my face and can only now appreciate how much you guys rave about these vehicles and how happy they make you. I am so impressed with just so how easy they are to drive normally at low revs with no effort, and just how economical they are like this, just got almost 300 miles out of a full tank! :) . On the same token, just feeling how much potential is there when you start opening the throttle is incredible, and I have driven a lot of fast modified vehicles! The HICAS is taking a little getting use to but in honestly I personally like it, makes parking so effortless and you can feel what it is doing to the rear of the car whilst your driving, am a little confused why so many of you are so divided over this, can it really be that bad as some of you say?

Ultimately I am just so happy to actually be along you guys who treasure these vehicles for what they are, and a lot sooner then I was hoping for, these vehicles are a true pleasure to drive :bowdown1: . Pictures will follow when I have given her a clean etc, as from what I read on other threads that’s the important part! I am aiming to join the GTROC for next year so will hopefully see some of you around, take care guys.

·
6,821 Posts
That's an intro man:) . . . welcome to the forume, welcome to the world of skylines. You wil find an answer to all your questions on this board and spend nice moments chating with the other dudes.

Post some pics of your ride:clap:

Regards

Chris

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
Indeed an into:)
Welcome on board.
I've had mine for 4 years now and it still pleases me to go out in it.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Really good read and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself and tell us about the car. Welcome!

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hello & welcome to the froum! :wavey: Nice to hear about your car & i look forward to hearing more and seeing some pics. :bowdown1:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey people, first off thanks for the friendly welcome and replies :) .

Due to the weather not being at its greatest I have not quite gained the enthusiasm to give it a clean and polish, I did however find a picture of it on my phone which I took when I viewed it the 1st time, not the greatest of camera's but good enough for now!

Wheels are a little *bling* *bling* but other than that I am very happy with it!

·
Registered
432 Posts
That's nice!! :thumbsup: I don't think the wheel's are too bling, but that's just my opinion... Also what wheels would you like to replace them with? (If you do?):)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome mate! Pleased you are happy with the GTR. I've had mine a few weeks now and i still smile every time i look at her. Washing her 3 times a week too through the damn weather, even though i dont use her in the wet lol.

·
Registered
547 Posts
welcome, and i hope you enjoy the skyline ownership....closest ive come so far is a game one but one day....yeh one day.

Dave

p.s nice car

·
6,821 Posts
Looks great, ahat wheels are they? the car lowered and keep the wheels.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the Alloy's are SSK, can just make out the initials on the centre hub. Glad everyone doesnt think they are that blinged up. I was thinking (If I replace them) of some twin five spoke split rims, but really need to have a good look before deciding!

Incidentally, has anyone any ideas on the following, I was coming home from work yesterday, and it started raining a little, at which point I noticed a tiny (3-5mm) bright (almost flourescent) green spider with red/brown legs emerge from the drivers side wing mirror. Being the car come from Japan, I was a little worried at 1st might have some sort of dangerous spider on board - however several hours of searching on line and I havnt been able to identify it, its definately not a lynx spider, but could be a sac spider according to info I have read, which apparently cause Necrotic Fisures upon biting.

I am thinking of spraying insecticide around and then carefully looking later, has anyone else come across these little blitters or know what they could be? (am guessing native to Japan - and apparently they have a fair few unfriendly arachnids - last thing I want is potentially dangerous spiders running around... but if not dangerous obviously dont want to kill it/them.. maybe some sort of insect zoo/farm might be interested in it)

Any ideas would be appreciated.. the following link is the only page I could find that has an image remarkably close to the spider but unfortunately no info as no-one knew what it was..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/143000189

I dont like spiders.... :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Strange... Can't help you on the spider i'm afraid. As for the wheels, i think Work emotion Kai's are quite nice looking split twin five spoke's, just my opinion though. Good luck with the car & i hope you enjoy it! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome!

Yes, I concur with everyone else. A polite and interesting intro. Nice car with wheels that look great! Need to be a little bling to complement the grey IMHO.
(See the thread on pics of wheels on cars.) The more you drive your 32, the more you'll like it....!

Believe the spider was an optional extra on 32's made only on 1 April 1994.

Glad you're in Surrey - The Jovial Sailor in Ripley is a regular meeting place, amongst others.
Clive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts