GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
started my R32 up thismorning. didint get off the drive way, was waiting for it to warm up abit, then looked behind and saw whitish grey smoke coming from the exhaust, constantly coming out.:( after that, shut it off imidiately and checked Oil level which was fine. what els could this be? it wasnt doing this last time i drove it.

Thanks

JAmes.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was a bit darker than white, more greyish, and smelt of oil.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would run it for a little while longer 1st to see if its just condensation or something more terminal...take it for a short drive

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was gonna leave it will it warmet up a bt, but thought it was gonna make more damag. I might try it. Thing is. it was about 10.00 when i started it, so it wasnt that cold outside anymore. so not sure weather it was condensation. Just gave it a nother try a few mins ago too. Its pretty hot weather here.

James.

·
Registered
717 Posts
well sit and let it run and see if it clears up...steven maybe right....if not most like culprit i would say would be one of the turbos....but could be other things also

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm, expansive then, Its a single turbo T78. Just bought the car from a member here. The turbo has just been reconditioned.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just been out to check. let the car warm right up and the turbo warm up, still doing the smoke even when you gove it some revs, still doing it. the smoke smells quite oily / petrol, but it never used ot smoke.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Get someone to follow you so you can pinpoint exactly when it smokes and when it doesn't. Also a leakdown test is cheap and will identify any engine problems, if it doesn't then as said it could be turbo, or simply a tramp has ****ed in your exhaust.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers for the replys guys. Really hope its not a turbo problem.. il get a mate to drive behind and il tak eit for a drive. At tickover its constantly puring out the smoke and rhen you revv it, the smoke gets thinker as a puff when you blip the throttle.
Dont think it coul dbe oil overfill, cause im normaly carful when filling it, at the moment, its just right the oil,

James.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not sure weather it has to be honest.

·
Registered
348 Posts
i had this not long ago, i replaced the whole exsaust system minius the cat and all is well.,.,., the baffs in the center silencer where kaput......:smokin:

·
Registered
854 Posts
white smoke

first thing id check is the water level( see if its used some). if the turbos been done recently and its grey smoking it sounds like classic cracked head or head gasket syndrome.

fill your rad right up and start it. check for bubbles in the water and pray theyre not there!!!!

hope im wrong for ya

kev

·
Registered
962 Posts
Simple thing to do , run it round to your local garage and ask them to do a 'sniff' test, this will at least rule out head gasket and should only cost a drink.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cheers guys. think wil take it down my local garage. seems to know what he's doing. built a nice Mk 1 golf with a Vr 6 engine. Will get him to have a look at the water.

James.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts