GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'am just about to be a gtr owner, just want to know is it possible to tell if the rb26 has a stroker kit just by listening to it(does 2.7 sound diff from the 2.6)?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
i dont think its possible to notice that.

pretty much all modifed GTR's have a complete different setup.

for instance, one can have a blitz exhaust and blitz air filter, while the other one has a blitz exhaust with HKS air filter. already it should sound different.

the only way to find out is to buy it from someone on here (with quite some posts orso, not some numpty with 2 posts who claims to have a 2.8 litre conversion), a respected importer (eg newera) or modifier (abbey motorsport)

or you have to get the whole engine apart to measure the stroke and bore...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I wasn't sure. I didn't think so but thought I had better ask.

I 've been told that it does say on the auction appraisal that it has a stroker kit, but would that be good enough effidence or will taken the engine apart be the only way in this case.

The importer seems be reasonably good, not heard or found any nightmare stories on the importer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Most importers don't know any more about the car that they are selling than what's on the auction sheet and anything that they can see with a quick visual inspection. There are exceptions to this where the importer buys direct from the tuner like the Endless drag car mentioned on this forum recently, but those are rare.

My car came from a reputable importer, was described as having been "prepared by Top Secret", and the engine was dressed as a 'Top Secret Competizione R' which a little research showed me should be a 2.8 bottom end.

Needless to say the polished engine cover and plaque turned out to just be dress-up.

Unless you have the paperwork to prove it, and have spoken to the tuner to cross-check, you'd better assume it's standard. Even if you do have paperwork and have spoken to the tuner the previous owner may have swapped the engine for a stock one before selling it.

If you're buying a car from a Japanese seller - which many importers are, claiming no responsibility once the car leaves Japan and saying what you assumed was their 'UK agent' is nothing more than an unconnected businessman who makes money doing SVA conversions - you have no comeback, and no resort to the UK Sale of Goods Act (which enforces the seller to provide an item as described in any advertisement).

Buyer beware!

My advice: buy from a person on this forum, where the car is in this country, can be inspected and has a known and verifiable history in the UK.

P.S. You may not have heard of the nightmare stories because they've been buried, or removed from sites due to libel action threats. Do your own extensive research before parting with the most amount of money you are ever likely to spend outside of buying a house!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Most importers don't know any more about the car that they are selling than what's on the auction sheet and anything that they can see with a quick visual inspection. There are exceptions to this where the importer buys direct from the tuner like the Endless drag car mentioned on this forum recently, but those are rare.

My car came from a reputable importer, was described as having been "prepared by Top Secret", and the engine was dressed as a 'Top Secret Competizione R' which a little research showed me should be a 2.8 bottom end.

Needless to say the polished engine cover and plaque turned out to just be dress-up.

Unless you have the paperwork to prove it, and have spoken to the tuner to cross-check, you'd better assume it's standard. Even if you do have paperwork and have spoken to the tuner the previous owner may have swapped the engine for a stock one before selling it.

If you're buying a car from a Japanese seller - which many importers are, claiming no responsibility once the car leaves Japan and saying what you assumed was their 'UK agent' is nothing more than an unconnected businessman who makes money doing SVA conversions - you have no comeback, and no resort to the UK Sale of Goods Act (which enforces the seller to provide an item as described in any advertisement).

Buyer beware!

My advice: buy from a person on this forum, where the car is in this country, can be inspected and has a known and verifiable history in the UK.

P.S. You may not have heard of the nightmare stories because they've been buried, or removed from sites due to libel action threats. Do your own extensive research before parting with the most amount of money you are ever likely to spend outside of buying a house!
I 100% agree with you.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi,

I'am just about to be a gtr owner, just want to know is it possible to tell if the rb26 has a stroker kit just by listening to it(does 2.7 sound diff from the 2.6)?
If you take a spark plug out the standard piston has a circle in the centre.The after market piston does not.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats good information, thanks.

The car is in the country, but its ment to be getting deliverd to me as I stay up north and the garage is just outside of london.
I will get to have a look at the car before i need to hand any money over, but this is my first skyline and I've only started to read up on them so am no expert.

The story part, yeah thats 100% true i guess. I do have some doubts now, but anymore knowledge to make my decision easier would be cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts