404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Bilstein sport shocks on a GT-R :confused:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Stiff Shox & Ringing

Skylining,

As I'm sure you can remember, watch out for hard shox on the 'Ring, the blast out of Bergwerk and up the mountain gets really bumpy over 200kph. I'll need a few (lots) upgrades before I can test it at 300!

Dave

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Karput Shocks ?

Alan,

When you say hard just how hard, I’ve a friend with an M3 (E30) that has changed from Koni’s to Bilsteins. The ride in his car hardly changed at all although he claims the handling is “out of this world”. I’ve seen some Bilstein shocks in Demon Tweaks for the Skyline GTR and wondered if anyone here had tried them.

Dave,

That part of the Ring I think of as the country road section ;) I’ve no idea how fast I get to but I seemed to impress those bikers and my car gets very nervous breaking hard just before that right-hander where I saw you just before Karousel there’s a hump in the road when the car just goes light then down again and trying to keep my foot on the break at the same time. :) great fun.

I’ve been having handling problems since the beginning of this year (not as bad as yours was) Jamie M described how a standard GT-R will allow the rear end to drift through corners passing torque to the front as needed. This makes me look good and the GT-R such an outstanding car for the ring.

However, my car now has a jerky feel, as I start to turn into a corner the point at which I would expect feel the weight up and the back end break into a drift. I feel a lot of vibration in the steering and the whole car then starts to shake as the rear end begins to break. It could be the Bridgestone tyres but I’m convinced that it’s, the shocks, bushes, or even the HICAS system.

Paul.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Bilsteins

Hello everyone, this isnt a plug, honest !!
Speaking as a Bilstein sub-dealer, I think it was 3 years ago now, but Vincent Woo (he definitely has access to the register but dont know if he is on it) Had an imported R33 with a horrid coil over set up with rigid top mounts. The car was very low and virtually unuseable. We put him on Trust springs and Bilstein shocks, with stock top mounts. He reported a big improvement on what he had previously, but I honestly dont know how it compares to stock. The danger point here is that Bilstein probably formulated the valving for Japan rather than Europe, and the settings do tend to be a bit on the wild side (IMHO). However, at the end of the day, Vincent holds the answer to this question. I know he sold the car a while ago, so someone else must be running around in it. Any clues ? Tim

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Hi Skylining
All I know was that it was a track set-up.
And went very very very well on smooth tarmac.:D
As I did not drive the car every day I put up with it due to the superior handling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bilsteins

Hello Skylining,

Tim (svs), thanks for reminding me of the nightmare I went through trying to get the original parts to replace the Ohlins set up i had!
Yes, I went for the Bilsteins and the ride as suggested, was very good on a smooth bit of tarmac, but was a bit of a handful on everyday UK A and B roads. The car wasn't used on track so I don't know what that would have been like. I eventually went to non-Vspec shocks with trust springs which was the best compromise I found for daily road use.

In fact, I still have the Bilstein shocks in the garage.

Vincent W

1 - 7 of 7 Posts