GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 (60) black GTR and noticed yesterday that bird grime has eaten through the paint on my GTR bonnet.

It was on the car for 2days max as I washed it then but it's eaten through the paint! Is this common with the solid black paint on the CBA GTR's or have I been unlucky not seeing and removing it quick enough?

I've tried t-cut and it hasn't worked so trying the auto glym super resign polish now hope that improved it.

What's the best bet to bring the shine back is it a machine polish?

Any help is welcome

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Gutted for you. Yes the black paint is shat. You need to be careful if you use a cutting compound and a polishing machine as the GTR (possibly particularly the black) has a very thin clear coat / top coat.

I am considering keeping a mini spray and cloth in the car so should I see anything like that it is easy to immediatly remove it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah paint is rubbish it's very thin. The Jerez black metallic was much better for protection on my m3.

I've already bought a Mequires quick detailing spray bottle. ***128077;

·
Registered
127 Posts
Only saw this post now. Get some R222 paint cleanser it worked a treat on the acid rain marks on my black GTR. You will need to polish it as well, so get the Meguairs M205 which you can on a DA or by hand. Depending how much time you have you may want to clay bar the car first, use the R222 and then polish and seal the car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that mate.

Where can I get some R222 paint cleaner from? (Any links?) and how do I apply it? Is it machine polish or by hand?

I already have some auto glym super resign polish is that ok to use after the R222 paint cleaner.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
Same here, bird poo if not removed in the 1st hour it seems, you get paint blemish's... paints crap on them.. I wonder if a good detailing and protection product would help so much?

·
Registered
127 Posts
K2HKS heres a from clean your car.co uk( sorry dont have enought posts to put a link up)
its by hand and use a damp sponge.

Chronos thats why I applied a sealant to the paint work to protect it from bird poo. The sealant I've used is this stuff : cquartz-uk-edition-paint-sealant
its says its good for 2 years, lets see. However before you do apply the sealant definitely claybar the car and polish its (Autoglym Super Resin Polish is good) and then seal the car. The link ive posted takes 24 hours to cure so need to store it in the garage.
There are other sealants on the market which do cure in an hour, but not that good.

·
Registered
356 Posts
bird crap is super alkaline and its this that marks the lacquer.

The R35 clearcoat is particularly soft and thin, and there are not many paint corrections in whats applied at the factory.
a good wax or sealer should create a barrier between whatever drops on your car and the lacquer. but remember that natural waxes need to be topped up every cpl months or so, with either a compatible quick finish spray or overwax.
the swissvax paintcleaner works a treat at getting the fine residue out of the paint or any minor imperfections but remember to wax over.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys.

Does the metallic black on the facelift GTRs have the same issue with the thin paint aswell?

545 Posts
The best thing for this is prevention, I'd highly recommend a ceramic sealant on the paint work. This offers protection against bird etching and will toughen up the paint, however it won't make it bullet proof and also you will need to give very easy top ups every 4-6 months as most ceramics don't bead even tho the uv, etching, scratch resistance is still there.

Is there no way you can see someone local and get it machine polished? It may not be as deep as you think

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will find someone local to machine polish or I might buy the R222 paint cleaner or the swisswax paint cleaner mentioned above and try it myself as I'm sure I'm going to have to do this regularly as this won't be the last time I get bird grime on my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts