·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Ok chaps sad to report this has just been shown on the Batallion35, I've uploaded the video below so you can see what looks like key scanning on an R35... apparently happened in the midlands Birmingham last night, they managed to open the car but not start it.........

At 35 seconds in on the video you can see the 2nd thief bottom right of the screen, scanning the front of the house for the key code!

I think autowatch ghost purchases are suddenly going to go rapidly up for our cars after seeing this! EEEEEEEEkkkkkkk!!

and get your Faraday bags off ebay chaps! IF you value you car!

Video - R35 key scanning open car theft attempt

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a Ghost fitted to my car 14 months ago. Once you get used to it, it isn't inconvenient and I like the fact that the doors lock when you set off. It had been suggested that the GTR wasn't vulnerable to these relay type thefts. Clearly that's wrong at least for the early cars ...

Do we know if this car had some sort of immobiliser fitted that stopped them starting it ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've got a function on my tracker to shut the car down from an app on my phone. So I could let them drive off and hit cut off, basically it shuts the car down next time it is stationary. So first junction they're done.
Hi Toni, do you mind telling me which tracker this is please?
Thanks in advance,

Wayne.

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
Ok chaps sad to report this has just been shown on the Batallion35, I've uploaded the video below so you can see what looks like key scanning on an R35... apparently happened in the midlands Birmingham last night, they managed to open the car but not start it.........

At 35 seconds in on the video you can see the 2nd thief bottom right of the screen, scanning the front of the house for the key code!

I think autowatch ghost purchases are suddenly going to go rapidly up for our cars after seeing this! EEEEEEEEkkkkkkk!!

and get your Faraday bags off ebay chaps! IF you value you car!

Video - R35 key scanning open car theft attempt

Struggling to get the video to work

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Sad that this is happening. Ghost is inexpensive (£400) for such a high level of protection. Really no excuse to purchase it.

A neighbour's car (desirable Audi) was stolen via this method a few years ago and my car is not garaged so I have the same concerns. But just got an alarm fitted that stops all of this (only problem is that there is an immobiliser tag but the dash pin sequence is not yet available for this car).

FOXR34,

I think tonigmr2 has metatrak, judging from past posts. Most trackers/alarms can do this now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sad that this is happening. Ghost is inexpensive (£400) for such a high level of protection. Really no excuse to purchase it.

A neighbour's car (desirable Audi) was stolen via this method a few years ago and my car is not garaged so I have the same concerns. But just got an alarm fitted that stops all of this (only problem is that there is an immobiliser tag but the dash pin sequence is not yet available for this car).

FOXR34,

I think tonigmr2 has metatrak, judging from past posts. Most trackers/alarms can do this now.
3 months too late but thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
It's weird how this is such a scary thought, and yet at the same time... A quavers packet is the ultimate solution hehe
haha note quite, but a good faraday bag will:smokin:

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
OK - update

Ebay faraday bag works well blocking passive RFID, but i've now upgraded to a 'Defender' bag, as these now block radio signals, as well as passive RFID including calls, SMS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, RFID, 4G and NFC

I've tested and my bluetooth 'lapa' key finder device cannot communicate, when in this new 'Defender' bag..... it did in the old one

Now are radio frequencies/bluetooth frequences blocked really needed? am not sure... but the new defender bags are better made than the old ones, which tbh where used every day so were getting tatty, and these newer ones are cheap so grabbed a couple.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Defender-Signal-Blocker-Car-key-Fob-Signal-Jamming-pouch-UK-Stock-RED/283039533982

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
This is all very interesting.

I dont have a GTR, yet, but in the market over the next few months.

Currently all of my keys are stored in a biscuit tin, but I was unaware, didnt think, of being tailed after parking the car and loosing it that way. I know the scanners can work over a distance but I would think that I could hear the pipes from some distance as well.

This is something for me to consider when I do finally pull the trigger on a purchase.

·
Registered
329 Posts
One thing that I***8217;ve just learnt is that the faraday bags lose their efficiency. I***8217;ve managed to open a car by pressing the key whilst it***8217;s still in a closed bag!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
This is all very interesting.

I dont have a GTR, yet, but in the market over the next few months.

Currently all of my keys are stored in a biscuit tin, but I was unaware, didnt think, of being tailed after parking the car and loosing it that way. I know the scanners can work over a distance but I would think that I could hear the pipes from some distance as well.

This is something for me to consider when I do finally pull the trigger on a purchase.
Pulled the trigger, considered the issue. Fitted GHOST.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
81 - 100 of 104 Posts