GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i'm a bit new to this and need a bit of help, i've brought a gtst a few months ago all the engine is standard apart from a hks air filter i put on, i'm going to tune it up a bit, i need to know will i need to get a new/piggyback ecu or is it possible to remap the exciting standard ecu. if i do need a new/piggyback ecu what is the one to get. thanks. scott.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Hello Scott and welcome to the fourm:thumbsup::thumbsup:

There are many different items on the shelf now, It depends on how mad you are going to go to be honest.

I learnt the hard way when I had my first skyline, That was a 33 gtst.

In my opinion save up get all your bits then get a piggy back ecu.

Take your car to get remapped with all your new bits on.

Remember its all in the mapping so do your home work on who you want to map the car.

Do it all at the same time.

In the long run it will save you money, You will benefit of all the goodies all at once.

That's my opinion.

Have fun in your new car:clap:

Mick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

hi mick, thanks for yr advise i'm not going too mad to start with, the car came with a jap aftermarket exhaust and thats it. like i said i put a hks air filter on was just going to get the turbo elbow and down pipe, a de-cat pipe, uprated the fuel pump and get a front mount. and up the boost to 1 bar. i was going to take it to abbey to do but if u know anyone else that u would recommend in the southern area would be appreciated. many thanks scott.

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
hi mick, thanks for yr advise i'm not going too mad to start with, the car came with a jap aftermarket exhaust and thats it. like i said i put a hks air filter on was just going to get the turbo elbow and down pipe, a de-cat pipe, uprated the fuel pump and get a front mount. and up the boost to 1 bar. i was going to take it to abbey to do but if u know anyone else that u would recommend in the southern area would be appreciated. many thanks scott.
I wouldn't boost it up to 1bar if i were you. Std turbos on a GTST are only good for about .8 bar. Just make sure you get things done properly and ask for advice before doing any mods.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok glad u told me cheers mate, what about doing the other bits is that ok. it wont do any damage anywhere will it as long as it's done properly of course.

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
Mick's advice was pretty sound..and so it should be really.
My GTST is fairly sedate..i find its all i need really as i use it a lot.
Breathing/fuelling and flow is the key.
They run better on the rich side, and of course better with a good downpipe and de-cat. A good air filter..couldn't comment on the HKS ones, but i do know that some of the older foam filters have caused problems with fragments of perished foam being swallowed up... so good maintenance is also the key to a longer engine and turbo.
O.7 is really all you want to be running for long periods, but short blasts of .8 will be fine as long as the car is allowed to cool off at times..a well mapped piggyback ecu will do wonders for your performance..but like Mick said, these things are best collected as and when and then mapped and changed togther.
Bear in mind that rolling road tunes cost aswell. the less you have to have the better..so do it all in one go.

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
No probs Scott.
Something i always try to remember is having a small amount put by for incidentals.
Common things that if anything will go wrong are :-
AFM's playing up...and sometimes their connectors
Coil packs breaking down
ignition modules playing up
Intercooler pipes blowing off
sheared head studs...

These are all very seldom, but recurring problems i have encountered over the years in mine and other peoples...always helps to have a bit of spare cash just in case. The parts and labour are not cheap.

There are some heavily tuned cars on here, and some heavily reinforced wallets to maintain them, however, when you are at the lower end of the scale, it's very easy to get carried away and it's like being a kid in a sweet shop...unfortunately i can only ever afford the 10p mix up, but its cool and i like it. so be happy with your GTST, enjoy it and more so..look after it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi, me again, with the risk of sounding stupid i'm looking on ebay at apexi power fc ecu's and can only find ones that say for the rb26 as i have the rb25 does that one number make a difference, can i use the ones that say for rb26 or not? thanks

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
hi, me again, with the risk of sounding stupid i'm looking on ebay at apexi power fc ecu's and can only find ones that say for the rb26 as i have the rb25 does that one number make a difference, can i use the ones that say for rb26 or not? thanks
Well obviously the RB26 is the twin turbo GT-R, but saying that i'm sure that there are GTST owners with Apexi Power FC's fitted.
It's not a piggy back unit though. It's a complete replacement and you will need the hand controller with it. Plenty of people can map them, but again its not cheap.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'f you only have mild mods then an Apexi Power FC will a good ecu for you, they make them for rb25's, so its just a matter of trackng one down, they alos use all the factory sensors and loom so it's just a matter of plug and play. Other options include the new ViPec v44 and the link G3. Best thing to do is find a garage that you're happy with and use an ecu that they're most comfortable to tune, as they'll get the best results using a product they know well.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Hi Scott.

Sounds like you are doing it the right way mate:cool:

Choice of tuner that will be down to you have a good look around the forum.

I recommend TR Racing in Harlow. There mapping and service is second to none. Rob does all the work on my car.

Good luck:cool:

Mick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts