GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. trying to bleed teh cooling system in the GTR. Yes, I know to remove the bolt etc. Thing is - the hole the bolt goes into has been blocked off!! Found out as I was trying to get the water coming out the hole & it just plain wouldn't, so I ran it up to temp with teh radiator cap on thinking the water expansion would eventually force the air out the bolt hole!!

Can anyone explain why this may have been blocked off?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
where's the drain bolt for the coolant in the block. I wasn't around to see when my mechanic did it last week; I'd like to know for my own knowledge.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, not in the block as such, but in the alloy rail that runs alongside the fuel rail. there are a few pics on the forum if you do a search. it's a little 10mm bolt with a sticker under it saying "do not open when hot" !

·
Registered
234 Posts
block

yeh there is 1 on the top near the fuel rail and also 1 on the turbo side at the bottom just remember to get new seals aswell also the 1 on the bottom of the rad good luck took me ages to do lol with out a ramp :squintdan

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
AFAIK, when filling up your rad, you remove the bolt and fill up till fluid comes out. If I am incorrect, please post up. This will help with the air lock issue.

Not my engine bay btw

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Was the bolt still in place?
Did you unscrew it and found it was dry behind?

Chances are ...its not been blocked, its just full of crud :chuckle:

We have had a few that we had to pass a 5mm drill bit down to clear it, its just rust and smegg from the coolant system thats built up over time.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i removed the bolt totally and started to fill v slowerly as that bolt need to be out to remove the air then when fluid came out bolted it up again started the car ran for a few mins shut down waited to cool and then did the same again to release any traped air seems okay so far touch wood

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was the bolt still in place?
Did you unscrew it and found it was dry behind?

Chances are ...its not been blocked, its just full of crud :chuckle:

We have had a few that we had to pass a 5mm drill bit down to clear it, its just rust and smegg from the coolant system thats built up over time.

Hope that helps.
yeah, may do that. thought someone may have had a reason to block it - not that I could imagine why!! 5mm drill bit, here I come!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
yeah, may do that. thought someone may have had a reason to block it - not that I could imagine why!! 5mm drill bit, here I come!

Doesnt take much so go easy, just a quick roll in and out to clear the debris and a little jiggle with some welding wire usually does the trick :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mate.... drilled it, poked it, stabbed it, spent a good half hour with some TIG wire, jamming it down there - but the blockage goes round the corner!!! blew 120psi of compressed air up it as well, but still can't get past the blockage. the stuff coming out looks like soil! So I'm at my wits end at the moment.

short of removing the whole thing - which leads me to my next question.... what is this alloy casting for???? i.e. the one with the bleed bolt in it? Looks like a pig to remove without taking the plenum off too.... :confused:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You may be able to remove the core plug in the end of the rail and clean it on the engine, but I cannot remember if that seals the air side or water

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^ mate, I would have to agree with you. regarding the plug in the end, does anyone know if this goes into the water jacket or the air erm, jacket?

TBH, my car runs too cool if anything, and never looks like it wants to overheat (touch wood!!) - but this is really bugging the heck out of me now - 3 nights in a row poking all manner of stuff into the bleed hole to try and clear the obstruction!! Problem is, it's rather difficult to get anything stiff enough to go around the corner - I need one of those surgeons endoscopes or similar.

So in short, has anyone had this balance chamber off the inlet manifold before???? anyone? dust? anyone?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
mate.... drilled it, poked it, stabbed it, spent a good half hour with some TIG wire, jamming it down there - but the blockage goes round the corner!!! blew 120psi of compressed air up it as well, but still can't get past the blockage. the stuff coming out looks like soil! So I'm at my wits end at the moment.
sounds more like its not connected for some reason, are the hoses connected under the manifold?

IIRC it has a coreplug on the end?, you could remove/replace that easy enough to check for flow there (drill,tap)

sorry not of much use

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the hoses are connected as far as I can see (i.e. the rubber hoses go under the plenum somewhere....) - I'm starting to wonder if it is blocked off somehow.... :confused:

Thinking about all this it could well explain why it's a pig when dead cold - i.e. won't rev. - something to do with fuel atomisation at very low temperature maybe?:confused:

as you can see, i'm just plain :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts