GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a r33gtr and recently its developed a blow from where the turbos are, dont know if its the turbo to dowpipe or something else possible manifold gasket????? it still accelerates normally just a horrible blow.

has anyone else encountered this problem and what is it likely to be????

also is it possible to put a new gasket in myself as my bro is very mechanically minded.

cheers guys

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If its blowing from the turbo to downpipe thats not to bad, but if its blowing from the elbows, or the manifolds, its a nightmare.

We recently swapped the turbo's on my 32 GTR, hellish job.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had something similar, was still holding pretty good boost pressure too. It was a split hose, the one that joins the rear turbo to the pipe with the twin turbo badging on it. The hose was split on the under side so was not immediately visible.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
235 Posts
just had to replace gasket between turbo's and elbow's. mine was blowing quite bad but lost no real power. did job with help from a friend both of whome have never worked on a skyline before. turbo's and manifolds off in 4hrs then got all gaskets and replaced. back on in a little over 4hrs. was supprised how easy it was considdering most garages wanted £900 to do it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice one guys gonna have a look at it on moday and start stripping it down i can feel it blowing on my hand just under the heat sheild above the turbos, whats that part? turbo manifold or elbow?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Could still be coming from either, but from the brief description it sounds like the manifold to turbo gasket.

I hope it is'nt as it is a swine of a job and will involve removing the manifold, if it is the front turbo you will have to remove the rear first!!! :rolleyes:

When I replaced a blown turbo (similar parts to remove as blown gaskets) I had to remove the rear turbo which was actually the damaged one, before I could get the front off to check it.

Allow for 2 days if a DIY job with no hitches. Mine all came apart no problem as all the nuts and bolts where in surprisingly good knick for a 16yr old car.

Good luck mate.

Cheers
Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts