GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thats put an end to any meets and shows in the foreseeable future
80mph with absolutely nothing wrong and no recent history or hints of forthcoming trouble, pull out to overtake and poooof huge cloud of oil smoke..:eek:
pulled straight off the revs and back in, down to 40ish with only a little smoke but one hell of a misfire...sounding like a Scooby!!! but no rattles scrapes etc etc.
Pulled up at side of road and normal idle (a little rough but roughly same revs) and little wafts of smoke....rev and misfire....
Drove 1.5 miles home very slowly.....
Water 90 degrees ,oil 98 degrees (about normal) defi oil pressure gauge not working (no sensor fitted) but no oil light on dash...slightly rough idle,misfire when revved and smoke (no loads though).
Once cooled - coolant looks ok with no emulsion at all
- oil level ok
- no obvious troubles
all plugs out and quick gaze with torch down holes...all pistons there, No.5 very wet with oil
compression test carried out 1 125+
2 125+
3 125+
4 125+
5 hmmmm not much :rolleyes:
6 125 +
not looking good, was hoping for head gasket issue but seem to think thats out of the window with the compression test....

Whats the odds? piston rings or piston lands

whats your opinions before i rip it all apart for a rebuild?
seem to remember reading something somewhere regarding issues with No.5 cylinders (might be imagining it :rolleyes:)

Might be looking for some bits very soon :bowdown1:

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Piston failure. Probably a ring land, probably caused my a weak injector causing a lean burn. If it's a ring land there is a good chance there is no bore damage.
Engine out, head off, sump off, replace piston, rebuild.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
[Hi

I would say ring land has broken if you need any help give us a call in the morning and we will help you as much as you want:thumbsup:

Regards MGT

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking ring land...

good chance there is no bore damage
fingers crossed for that as cash is a bit tight at the moment, really didn't need this at the moment..

we will help you as much as you want
cheers Mark/Garth ,i'll do the rebuild myself if it needs it but probably going to need loads of helpfull advice along the way (and at the least a piston), done loads of Cossies etc in the past so no fear of doing this.

If it is a land and theres no bore damage, I'll probably pop all the pistons out and do a full re-ring and re-bearing anyway, Clive had all the head done before I bought the car so should make a semi-decent engine then.

Its all built with Tomei steel gaskets (1.4 mm head etc) can these be re-used (some people reckon so)

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Hi

Just give me a call tomorrow and I will give you all the help you need to get it back up and running mate

Regards Mark

I was thinking ring land...

fingers crossed for that as cash is a bit tight at the moment, really didn't need this at the moment..

cheers Mark/Garth ,i'll do the rebuild myself if it needs it but probably going to need loads of helpfull advice along the way (and at the least a piston), done loads of Cossies etc in the past so no fear of doing this.

If it is a land and theres no bore damage, I'll probably pop all the pistons out and do a full re-ring and re-bearing anyway, Clive had all the head done before I bought the car so should make a semi-decent engine then.

Its all built with Tomei steel gaskets (1.4 mm head etc) can these be re-used (some people reckon so)

Reactions: alexcrosse

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Really sorry to hear this but between yourself and Met, sounds like you have it sorted.
Thanks Mark for offering help as you always do.
Asda day. You can come in something else? Do you want me to try and find someone that can pick you up? You do not have to miss out.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Really gutted for you.

Obviously, you won't know anything for certain until the engine is stripped but I reckon most of the cost would be labour which sounds like nothing if you're doing it yourself. Still a balls aching job though but a good time to refresh the bottom half.

As Dave says, let me know as well if you need any help getting to Asda.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally getting this done...
Nice big lump of piston missing but no head, bore or turbo damage...
Bottom End out this weekend, piston swap and then back in...
Gaskets & N1 tubby kit here end of next week ...then all back together and see if I can remember where all the bits go lol
Few mods too as it goes back together

Attachments

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I would strip the engine down fully and flush all the oil galleries in case of any fragments of metal circulating around also the same with the oil pump.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for the input guys...
Sounds like a good plan, that's it then will start to strip it all and clean it all...
Time to take over the kitchen ? wifey will be pleased lol

·
Registered
502 Posts
You installing aftermarket pistons or staying stock? Don't forget to figure out why this problem happened in the first place! Maybe have injectors cleaned and flow tested

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah will be staying stock due to costs..
Would love to go forged but cash isn't there

Mmm you may have a good point there...I run on board AFR and that showed all was good leading up to this, but then I suppose that's an average over all 6 pots so could be an errant one in there somewhere.
I have another set of gtr injectors sat in my GTS-T that were cleaned & tested not all that long ago so might swap them out just to be on the safe side

·
Registered
502 Posts
Look into CP pistons at least with stock rods. Wont be that much more and you will be happy you did for future mods. The stock rods are good for 600BHP at least with ARP bolts, some have ran more on them, plenty of thread to prove this too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've got a full set of spare std pistons here already thanks to a couple of very cool GTROC members, so won't be buying any tbh
Theyre currently away being cracked tested to avoid any ring journal issues in the near future. Then the best one will replace this one.
Not really looking for massive power at the moment so will be ok on stock pistons and rods I reckon.
Just planning on upgrading to N1 spec turbos on this build to remove the worry of ceramics and let me run a little more boost and a few other complimentary mids that I've collected over the past year or so including high flow plenum etc

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've found a few mods as I've stripped this so far that I didn't know about including a big clutch etc etc..
I'm probably going to fit an N1 oil pump this build, but not going to buy one until the bottom end is out of the car..In case there's one already in??? (Had really good oil pressure before this happened)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well busy as hell day...
Bottom end out after struggling with the release bearing :angry: cheers for the advice Mark at MGT:+1:
All cleaned out and replacement piston fitted..
Bottom end back in car..
Piston was a right mess, looked like 2 ring journals had let go then it had all got hot and melted :fearful:
Bore looked ok though a few superficial scores but should be ok...Gave it a little clean up with some fine wet n dry..
Bonus was that I finally got to see what clutch is fitted....turned out to be a nice Nismo super coppermix twin plate...:blush:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts