GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the turbo blew on the GTS a few months back,and i didn't bother fixing it until now (should be getting gaskets tomorrow).

from reading Bladey's thread about his re-build problems,would it be worth while me getting my engine checked out?
as i don't want something to happen to it,can't afford a re-built

the car's standard apart from exhaust and filter,max boost it has ran is 0.67bar

info please guys,

Emil

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Im not so sure, did you let off the throttle when it went ?

It is putting it down to chance if you dont split the engine and check it out, it is costly which is the problem but it eliminates the risk of a full engine rebuild if some bits from the turbo went back in there.

You cant really be sure either way and i wouldnt like to advise you saying you will be ok when you might not.
If the cost of having the engine properly checked out isnt too great then id get it done.

In my expirience with these cars, its not worth the risk. Get as much of it checked out as you can afford to...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
have you been running the engine with the turbo blown out? Other than being very slow, if nothing else seemed out of the ordinary, then maybe you lucked out with no turbo bits going back into the engine.

Just an idea out of the blue, one way short of taking the engine out and apart may be to get one seriously powerful vacuum, and suction out from the turbo flange (turbo off of course), as well as through all six spark plug holes (plugs removed obviously). Whaddya think? It wouldn't do anything to any possible cylinder, valve, or piston damange that may already have occurred, but it could get bits out to prevent anything happening on startup....

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well from what i know,the exhaust turbine wheel came off,and there is some damage on the blades on the other side,though i reckon the turbo was on it's way out anyway when we got the car,as it wasn't the same to drive like the other skyline we got at the same time

the car was still being driven when it happened,i was at about 6500rpm and it went when i changed gears,and i did still drive it,and stopped about 2mins afterwards

as since the exhaust wheel fell off,would that actually put damage into the engine?

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
have you been running the engine with the turbo blown out? Other than being very slow, if nothing else seemed out of the ordinary, then maybe you lucked out with no turbo bits going back into the engine.

Just an idea out of the blue, one way short of taking the engine out and apart may be to get one seriously powerful vacuum, and suction out from the turbo flange (turbo off of course), as well as through all six spark plug holes (plugs removed obviously). Whaddya think? It wouldn't do anything to any possible cylinder, valve, or piston damange that may already have occurred, but it could get bits out to prevent anything happening on startup....
the car was only driven home,and then onto a garage when the turbo went,at light throttle,nothing seemed different when the car was being driven

though the other idea sounds good,surely be best to get the engine oil taken out first though right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
A turbo went on a car I had and I just replaced it, within two days the next turbo had gone. oil had baked on the oil feed pipe and reduced the flow to virtually nil. Spindle sheared off on both occasions which left the exhaust side impeller rattling around in the chamber

Expensive lesson learned.....why did your turbo blow?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The dude who killed my car wiped out 2 cylinders when he fragged my turbos. Didnt find out till we did a compression test.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
If it was de-catted and you kept your foot in it for a little while afterwards, you may have gotten lucky and all the bits went out of the exhaust, however, if you didn't have a de-cat it's very likely some bits would be sucked back into the engine.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
What are the symptoms of this happening.... how will you know that the turbo has gone and to keep the foot down. If they are similar to say, a conrod going, then foot down would do more damage wouldnt it?

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hhmmm this is interesting:

the car isn't de-catted,only got a cat-back exhaust and an air filter.
The car wasn't really been revved when it first happened,i did give it abit of throttle thinking what is wrong,and then saw the smoke,and pretty much drove light throttle all the way back home.

How hard is it to take the engine out,and is it just a simple case of opening up the head,and looking for bits of the turbo in there?
As that i can do with the engine still in there,or would it be best to take the engine out?

Also,as i have said,the exhaust wheel fell off,surely this must have just gone/got stuck in the exhaust system and not into the engine?

I'm guessing it'd be best for me to take off the cat and also see if there is anything inside of it?

I'd rather wait another few weeks if i have to to get the car running again.

What i don't want is to have to re-build the engine as just don't have the money to do something like that.

Opinions please guys,and thanks for the feedback so far

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Hey bro,, your freaking out too much about the subject, Oil change with filter and tubby change is all you need.

Dont think about takeing off the engine or removing the head its gonna be a hassel if you are worried about your cat take it off (4bolts)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
When my exhaust wheel let go it made a proper mess of the engine (stock boost, cat fitted).

I'm told on good authority that you can use an endoscope to check for internal damage without taking the engine apart, although it's not something you would want to do yourself as apparently they're very expensive.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hhmmm,all this does seem to be going in favour of opening up the engine and checking....

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
another thing,is that the car was drove approx 25miles with the blown turbo on light throttle,surley this would have showed up issues with the engine?

·
Registered
366 Posts
COMPRESSION CHECK and LEAK DOWN TEST

·
Registered
386 Posts
Take it to someone who knows what they're doing and get it internally inspected with an endoscope.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Good excuse to put a better turbo on too.:cool:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I would.........
Take plugs out, shine torch into each cylinder and look for piston crown damage. On a GTS pistons 3 and 4 are most likely to have been contaminated with exhaust wheel shards. Very unlikely that 1 and 6 would be damaged this way, but check them anyway, because they could have been contaminated with bits of the compressor wheel.
If possible, a leak down test would be good, or failing that just a cheap compression test will show up valve damage, or bore score.

Inspect compressor wheel for missing bits. If there are pieces missing, remove inlet system and clear it out, especially IC, as this might trap any pieces, and let them go under boost in future, allowing them into the engine/new turbo.

Assuming nothing found in above inspections, replace Turbo, replace oil, job done.

If your really paranoid take head off with engine still in car, but if you plan to just fit a second hand standard turbo back on, the cost/risk of damage is not great enough to warrant a head removal. imo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts