GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out in the car today (drive to Largs and back - 4 season in one day on the journey) and when i got home, one of the kids in the street who plays with the neighbours kid (who i'd taken for a drive last week) asked very politely if he could sit in the car and see the screen. So i got out the car let him in. I then proceed to empty out the boot of some shopping i'd done, leaving the door open

His dad is out playing with his wee brother and he sees his dad and gets out of the car with the biggest smile you've ever seen to tell his dad all about the car he's just sat in and nudges the door open a little wider into my bmw back door. I fear the worst for the beemer, but not a mark, and then i notice a chip about 4mm long missing from the GTR door edge! His dad caught me checking the door and came over and offered to pay to have it fixed, but i said it was an accident etc especially as the wee kid looked totally distraught as his dad showed him what he'd done and told him that's why he'd never buy a car like that :D

But honestly it was the softest of dinks and i couldn't believe how much paint came off!

I guess these things are going to happen to any car that gets used. But just surprised me how fragile the paint work appears to be!
I dread to think what will happen if i park it next to another car and it takes a dunt the same as my BMW did!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I was out in the car today (drive to Largs and back - 4 season in one day on the journey) and when i got home, one of the kids in the street who plays with the neighbours kid (who i'd taken for a drive last week) asked very politely if he could sit in the car and see the screen. So i got out the car let him in. I then proceed to empty out the boot of some shopping i'd done, leaving the door open

His dad is out playing with his wee brother and he sees his dad and gets out of the car with the biggest smile you've ever seen to tell his dad all about the car he's just sat in and nudges the door open a little wider into my bmw back door. I fear the worst for the beemer, but not a mark, and then i notice a chip about 4mm long missing from the GTR door edge! His dad caught me checking the door and came over and offered to pay to have it fixed, but i said it was an accident etc especially as the wee kid looked totally distraught as his dad showed him what he'd done and told him that's why he'd never buy a car like that :D

But honestly it was the softest of dinks and i couldn't believe how much paint came off!

I guess these things are going to happen to any car that gets used. But just surprised me how fragile the paint work appears to be!
I dread to think what will happen if i park it next to another car and it takes a dunt the same as my BMW did!
Nightmare mate, you must be disappointed but fair play to you for the way you dealt with it. His Dad would have got a massive shock if he'd paid for a repair via a HPC. Bit of touch up if you can get it? Alex from Serious Performance was telling me (via mail) just how soft the paint is on these things. Must be worse on our black ones (and red I guess) as no lacquer. Just get the thick felt tip out for now!

Of course, if the HPC's are to be believed, just leave the car out in the sun and it will repair itself........

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I have got the same on mine,direct on top top part of the driversdoor,4mm painbt missing as id hit the door in my workshop to the lift,it just touched it but the paint was gone,exactly where i allways see it(infact,i havnt seen my car in the last 11 weeks,as it was for 9 weeks at the Nissandealer for a new engine and then just after 1 day,i have gone to holidays...)

I got me a touchup pen from nissan,which i will use to cover it a bit,so the grey primer doesnt stick out that much....job done:wavey:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nightmare mate, you must be disappointed but fair play to you for the way you dealt with it. His Dad would have got a massive shock if he'd paid for a repair via a HPC. Bit of touch up if you can get it? Alex from Serious Performance was telling me (via mail) just how soft the paint is on these things. Must be worse on our black ones (and red I guess) as no lacquer. Just get the thick felt tip out for now!

Of course, if the HPC's are to be believed, just leave the car out in the sun and it will repair itself........
The thing is, i could just have easily done it myself. Now that i've seen how fragile the paint is, i'll be extra careful.

I've used a permanent marker on it. But i've yet to see it in daylight.
The car cover has been on and i only get home from work after dark - but now off, after some good advice, so will check it out tomorrow morning.

One concern is that the paint peels from there - as it's that fragile.
I kinda wish i had gotten UMS for this one reason! :nervous:

To be honest i'll take all the dings on the door edges if it means i don't get 'kerbed' alloys. I went up north on some spirited driving tonight (now at 700miles :D) and hit some potholes, and i dread to look at the wheels if i've caught them wrong.

But hey it's not a garage queen car, so it's going to end up with a few marks. As long as they are rectifiable, i'm not too worried (or at least that's what i'm trying to convince myself :lol:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.