GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 954 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to everyone who's interested in my build :wavey:

Thought it's about time to start my own project thread...
... so here we go :D

For all those who don't know the car until now, here's where it all started: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/123658-bnr32-arrived-austria.html#post1165845

After displaying my GTR at a local car show (http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/126509-austrian-car-show.html) I got my car registered by the end of last year and since then I started working on it.

A complete spec list will follow as soon as the GTR's finished for this season :smokin:

First parts went out.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HICAS

Next step was to completely remove the HICAS system.

I decided to loop the HICAS line from the PS pump at the front to keep the PS fluid cooler.

Removed all solenoids, hoses and the lines which are running under the car (now I also have access to the oil filter :D).

Everything that went out (lines from under the car are not on the picture).

And that's what went back in again.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HKS EVC-S

Then I installed my HKS EVC-S boost controller.

I removed all unnecessary hoses from under the plenum which where running to the stock PCM valve. During the installation I also changed my fuel filter just to be sure. I mounted the boost solenoid on the plenum to keep lines as short as possible.

I cut off the stock boost pipe which is leading to the turbos to connect it with the HKS solenoid.

Next was the interior installation and the wiring (at that time I wasn't sure where to mount the display).

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aerocatch bonnet fastener

I decided to fit some Aerocatch bonnet fasteners to my stock hood.

Unfortunately when the bolts get mounted in the usual way they were a bit too long so I had to custom fit them. I used the washers and rubber parts you get with the kit as spacer and secured them with two nuts each from the underside.

Work was a little tricky as cutting an alloy hood isn't that easy than cutting a FRP or CF hood, but I pretty satisfied with the outcome.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aircon removal

Next step was to remove some more wheight from the front, so out with the AC.

This was one of the easiest jobs until now, as the whole removal is pretty straight forward. Pump, radiator, fan, lines, everything wnet out.

Far more space now :D

I also removed the heat exchanger which was hiding in a box behind the glove box. Now I just need to get some suitable grommets to seal the holes to the engine bay where the lines went out.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery relocation

I got myself a SARD kit as I wanted to move the battery to the trunk for a better weight distribution.

I would have prefered to mount the kit somewhere in the middle, but for now it's okay in the place it's mounted.

I attached the fuse holder to the side of the battery box and used a 200A fuse to secure the system.

The installation of the box in this position was quite simple. I just had to use a 90mm threaded rod on one of the holes as this one went straight through the rear frame.

That's where the cable is running into the interior.

And that's where the cable is running out into the engine bay.

And here's where everything is coming together. You can already see where the new relays get placed which are switching my new electric fans (the fans are then controlled from my Haltech ECU).

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brake refurb

In the meantime I got my brakes refurbed.

I dissasambled all my calipers cleaned them up and replaced the piston sealings and the dust caps. Then after cleaning my brake discs I put on some new Nismo S-Tune brake pads and additionally added some Nismo braided brake hoses (this setup will have to last until I can buy a new AP big brake setup for front and rear). Afterwards I exchanged the standard brake fluid against a Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crank pulley bolt

As I want to change my crank pulley damper, the timing belt, the water pump,... I had to take off the crank pulley bolt.

I checked various threads on here concerning this issue and asked some of my mates and after trying almost every possibility of how to get this bolt loose (starter, braker bar, lots of WD40,...) I thought I have to give it up. This damn bolt was just stuck. Luckily my friend Thomas is working at a local tire shop who have a service bus for trucks and tractors. Now it was time to pull the big weapons :smokin:

A few seconds later it finally came loose :D

And off with the old crank pulley.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Afterwards I continued with the wiring in the interior.

I pulled in a permant plus along with the two cables for the control voltage of the new fan relays.

I also attached another cable to the ignition to get a seperate switched plus. Both plus lines will be connected to two ledges (one for each) that I'll put into the glove box. On each ledge I have eight fused exits, this way I can conncet every additional instrument (EVC, TSC,...) on a seperate and fused circuit, either switched or permanent.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Good to see you got that bolt off in the end Leo. If usual methods don't work at first, bring in the serious stuff, lol. :D
Nice progress!

Can I make some suggestions?

Maybe moving the boost control solenoid to somewhere solid.. Would it last as long as it could with constant vibration from the engine?

Also, one nice modification that's been seen on Fensport's demo ars is a carbon box on either side of the engine, to hide away cables, etc.

Alternatively you could just get a decent mig welder and make a custom large oil catch tank in aluminium to fill the space where the battery went, perhaps integrating a tank for water to be sprayed to the intercooler :D

...or make it so bare it's beautiful (Saurus R32 springs to mind :)) - tucking wires into the chassis rails, under the plenum, etc. can be a visual treat on some cars, although for best results it usually requires welding and filling of holes, etc. and painting the engine bay, which is a pain!

Your previous car (Turbo Integra Type R DC2) was a total work of mechanical art. May be a good idea to post a link to some pics so people can see what you're capable of. If your GT-R is going to end up anything like it, it'll be crazy! :smokin:

Nice to see progress on your new thread dude. Subscribed :popcorn:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Subscribed! :popcorn:

Love your car, if I where to build a 32 now it would look like yours. Another color but the look is perfect.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Yay!!! nice one Leo mate! great progess and Im chuffed you finally got the crank pulley bolt out!!! (did you have a "post sex" type cigarette to celebrate?) :D

Im impressed with your electrical knowhow mate, its all double dutch to me!!! Might have to pick your brains a bit more when I fit my SARD relocation box. Very neat job though buddy.

Defo get some pics up of your DC2 as Miguel said , it was indeed a work of art.

Aerocatches look great i pretty much did the same with mine except i used a massive stainless washer that the red catch bolt couldn't pull through with a rubber grommet on top and then as you said the two nuts underneath to secure it all.
Good enough for me to ditch the main catch! (not recommending anyone else do this though!).

Keep it coming Leo, want to see more please!!!!

Oh, I finally got my engine out last night, crikey what a job, very satisfying though!
:)
bob

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Miguel,

You can't imagine how glad I am that this damn bolt is off :smokin:

And yes, I'm always open for input and suggestions for improvement :thumbsup:

Was looking for a good place to mount the solenoid where I can keep lines short, but that's more difficult than you may think. Saw it on various other threads that people mounted the solenoid to the plenum. I was also concerned about the vibrations but I thought I'll give it a try. Perhaps I can find a better place until my car get's finished tho...

The carbon box would be a great idea. Do you have any link to the Fensport's demo cars (tbh never heard of this company before... :nervous:).

I also like the idea with an alloy tank and the waterspray system...
... you're really giving me ideas mate (should start a new to do list for next winter tho) :thumbsup:

If you have any more ideas just bring'em on :D

Cheers,

Leo

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bobster,

Oh yes, it was quite like this. At first it was like "yeah, yeah, the bolt is off" then "ahhh" a sigh of relief and then I had my cigarette and enjoyed it :smokin:

I'm also no expert on electrical systems (just the most important basics) but I learned a lot during wiring up my DC2.

No problem mate, you're welcome. If you need any help, just shout :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Leo

1 - 20 of 954 Posts