GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I really need to do something about my saggy old suspension and horrific arch gap.
Normally I'd just get coilovers, but in all honesty I'm bored of all that bone shaking ride and faffing about setting the ride height etc.

I fancied a nice uprated spring & damper combo, but all I can find are the Nismos, and a 20mm drop just isn't worth bothering, I'm after more like 40-50mm.

Is it really just a case of lowering springs on OEM shocks, Nismos or full blown coilovers, or are there any other options out there?!

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
I went through all of them, OE dampers were great but not good for track and looked horrible height wise. Went to Apexi N1's rock hard horrible on the road. HKS Hipermax are amazing, for road and bumpy surfaces, fast road and they are also coil overs and pretty decent on track.

·
Registered
25,669 Posts
you can get new nismos but they are very hard to find used good sets for R32 (33/34 not an issue)

apexis are hard

TEINs - do a number of off the shelf ones for 32.

lots of options out there really.

Greddy/HKS/Blitz all do suspension.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Did you read the OP fully Matt? There's a sentence about being fed up of coilovers in there...

This is why I was after an uprated spring/ damper combo rather than a full blown set of coilovers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The questions is, why do you think coilovers have to be rock hard and uncomfortable?
I can easily make a set of coilovers that will be softer than the standard suspension, all I have to do is take a few shims out and job done.

You don't want rock hard suspension, they are no good for UK road use if they cannot keep traction over uneven road surfaces.
You also don't want sloppy suspension that is going to weight transfer all over the place and violently… especially on a heavy car such as a GTR.

What you want is a compliant set of suspension that is design for fast road use, and that mean no silly springs rate or over the top damper valving, which can be easily done provided the person designing the suspension know what they are doing.
The by product of a compliant suspension is also a comfortable suspension, and they do go hand in hand.

Adjustable damping will allow the driver to fine tune the suspension so it will fit their personal preference for normal use, and take advantage of the flat track surface on those occasional track days.

We have been offering the MeisterR Zeta-R coilovers to members around here for awhile now, no one ever mention to me that they are horrible to drive on.
I have it on my own R32 GTR for over 3 years also, so I know they are right. :)

Hope that helps.

Jerrick

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You also missed the bit where I said I'm sick of setting up coilovers too?

Thanks for the sales pitch however.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You also missed the bit where I said I'm sick of setting up coilovers too?

Thanks for the sales pitch however.
Yes, I did miss the bit about setting up suspension.
Just saw the bit about rough ride so I thought I address that as it is a common misconception.

The issue here is you have a few conflicting problem, and that is setting up suspension and getting what you want.

Understandable that you don't want to setup ride height and damping, you just want something that bolt in and work.

But the issue is you will have a hard time finding "springs and dampers" that will do -50mm.
The reason for that is most springs and damper are base off the OE spec suspensions, so most lowering springs will function with OE dampers, and uprated dampers will fit OE springs.

The issue we run into here is that no dampers that is OE size will accept lowering 50mm in ride height without running into damper stroke issue (bottoming out and hitting bump stop).
That is why most lowering springs you find is only -20mm to -35mm.
When you do more than that, your really start to throw suspension performance out the window.

Now if a manufacturer had made a suspension setup with custom coil springs and custom made length dampers (or OE damper cut down) to provide this 50mm drop, then that is perfect for what you need (assuming damping is also to your preference).
But if you are going to do all that work, you might as well just thread the damper and make it into an adjustable coilovers.

Therefore, if you want to get raid of 50mm of arch gap, the only real workable solution would be coilovers.
If you are just going to slap a -50mm springs onto an OE size damper, you might as well cut your springs with an angle grinder as you will achieve similar result.

There are plenty of choice for coilovers, MeisterR isn't the only one.
But we are able to provide UK after sales support should anything ever happen.

What I don't want to see is you spending money on something that doesn't give you the result you are after.

Hope that helps.

Jerrick

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not going to throw anything onto 20 year old dampers, it's an utter waste of time.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm not going to throw anything onto 20 year old dampers, it's an utter waste of time.
I know, what I am saying is if you are buying "replacement" damper, it is going to be build to the OE damper size (even if the internal are different).

So unless the damper are specifically made with a custom coil springs, it won't effectively lower the car 50mm and retain enough damper travel to provide suspension performance.

Like I said, just don't want you to spend money on something that won't achieve your goals.

Jerrick

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seeing as it seems nobody makes an updated spring/ damper barring Nismo I don't think there's much chance of that happening!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use Tein Ha coilovers(the ones with tender springs) and they are very supple over the bumps,I would happily give you my settings to save you messing around.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I remember reading Eibach do custom springs. Not sure what dampers you could mate them with though. Maybe they do some.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Fair play, I'm not sure EDFC would help you as it sounds like your issue is with spring rates, did you try Tien Ha's? or a single spring type?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've gave my car a quick check underneath as mines meant to be stock but the ride seems to be quite stiff... turns out i have Bilstein suspension.

Not sure if it's shocks and springs or actually coilovers tho i dont think it's height adjustable as i cant seem to see any thread for adjustment.
Going to take the wheels off some point this week when im detailing the car and proper check the suspension, it looks like it also has adjustable tie rod ends too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fair play, I'm not sure EDFC would help you as it sounds like your issue is with spring rates, did you try Tien Ha's? or a single spring type?

I can't remember which they were but HA rings a bell, they had the silly little helper spring.

I looked online for Bilstein a few months back but didn't find anything bar a few old for sale threads.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts