GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a bunch of coilpacks off a BNR34. Problem is I wanna check if they are working/functioning.

How does one do that without actually trial fitting it onto the vehicle and try one by one?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
dont be lazy and fit them on lol ;) its an easy job :thumbsup:

i did spitfires on mine recently

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Difficult to check even r33/32 ones properly; measuring coil resistance doesn't tell you if the insulation's breaking down at high voltages. R34 ones have internal circuitry so even trickier.

Aparently if you rev the engine at night with the cover off you may see arching on the coilpacks if they're screwed but I've never done this to confirm.

Best way is to borrow a set of known good ones - RSP have launched a service where they'll send you a set of good ones to test.

Edit - just read your post properly. Swap them out and test; no other easy way.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem is my car is a ER34 not a BNR34. The spare coils I have are BNR34 items and I wanna make sure they are ok before I pass them on to someone who needs replacements.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Wouldn't they be the same? If you don't have an ignition amplifier (i.e. if it's internal to the coilpacks) then it should be the same as BNR34.

I'm not really up on R34 models though, but I do know R34 GTR ones are the same as series II R33 gtst - assuming the ER34 is the R34 version of the R33gtst then I can't see why they'd change it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts