GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just occurred to me that the R34 has now officially ended production. Nissan will no longer make a Skyline GT-R until the next generation car(which people say will drop the Skyline name).

It is the end of an era during which Nissan has managed to make a true name for itself around the world.

It saddens me to think that the "legend" could potentially be over, but I have trust in Nissan and know they will produce a worthy successor. I just hope they don't go soft on us....after all we are die-hard fans!!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
IMHO... there's no doubt that Nissan will come up with a replacement for the mighty GT-R, but there is also one very important point to keep in mind. The RB26DETT and current era GT-R models (R32-R34) were conceived at a time when Nissan's performance car program was well financed and the company was doing well (at least perceived which is most of what counts). Consequently, the GT-R was designed from the ground up to be the best in its class with little regard to its profitability as an individual model. That time is now gone.

Cya O!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
And part of its sucess was surely accidental based thanks to huge potential of the engine (which presumably wasn't designed to run up to 4 figure BHPs etc)

·
Registered
549 Posts
and if memory serves doesn't renault own part or all of nissan? might be complete crap though.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Call me negative, but my feeling is the next GTR will be nothing like the legendary one (R32-R34 GTR). It will no doubt be a good car, considering the new 350Z and the G35 coupe are very nice. But it is not going to be a true Skyline GTR.

I guess people here are all lucky to have a legendary GTR, what I worry about is how I can preserve my GTR the best that I can.

Not to mention it is also the end of a few other legendary sports car, JZA80, FD3S are the 2 I will miss the most. Since the next Supra will also lose its inline 6 motor and who knows when Mazda is going to put some turbos back on their rotary motor.

Truely the end of an awesome era. I am very thankful to be able to catch the end of it.

Jeff

·
Registered
122 Posts
The worst thing is its the end on the RB26DETT engine.
The new engine wont be so over engineered, which means less tunning portential.

The reason Nissan gives for the engine being dropped is it wont meet future emmission laws.

:(

Leigh

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
:(
its a shame really.
They might have taken the RB26 out, but they coudl have made another straight 6, maybe 3 litre, 3.2 , waht ever, but keep the 'straight 6 tradition' in there...
the V6 belongs to the Z, and the Z can have it, not the GTR
=(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Even the V6 which was in the Z32 (300ZX TT), is not the same as the one in the new 350Z and the new Sykline.

The V6 from the Z32 was also well over engineered, and could handle large power increases.

The JUN Z32 still holds the fastest speed for a front engined rear wheel drive car.

The only reason why the Skyline has had more tunning development done was its easier to work on in the engine bay than the Z32, and cooling is not as big a problem. Also the Skyline was developed for racing and the Zed as the best sports car.

I think the only manufacture true to there followers has been Honda with the NSX. At least they have developed there car further, rather than binning a perfetly good design, and starting again.

I really wished Nissan, had produced another Skyline along the heritage lines, and the same for the Z32, just improved it by making it lighter, and more responsive.

Even Mazda have at least developed the rotary engine further for the RX8.

Leigh

·
Registered
49 Posts
:( I think I'm gonna cry lol

how fast was the Jun Z32?
And even the 300zx's weren't true Z cars. The 240 260 and 280 were all I6's. The 300's were V6's which was killing heritage.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Here's a piece of useless trivia: ;)

The last Skyline GT-R produced was a white V-spec II. It came off the production line on August 29, 2002 at 12:30am. Info courtesy of BestCar magazine.

Cya O!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Stupid question maybe.
How come Nissan can't meet emission standards with the 280(!) hp RB26 while Volvo brings a 2.5 5 cylinder with 300(!) hp next year?
Is it displacement vs amount of cylinders?
There was talk about an RB28, how about that one?
Or maybe the RB30?

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hipogtr....saw that too....very sad:(

JohnD....its not just only the emisson problem....Nissan just wants to enter the 21st century in new and fresh way....so all old stuff is out.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Ion sensing

I think this may have something to do with Ion Sensing. See also the Octane thread for links to applicable web sites. To cut a long story short, you can get cleaner exhaust gasses with that technique, and the Swedes are frontrunners (it's implemented in current Saab's; I think also in Volvo's and BMW's; every other manufacturer is bound to follow sometime).

·
Registered
662 Posts
Some observations.. my opinions.. and some facts..

a) The RB26 was over-engineered... on purpose.. after all they knew that they would race the car and raise boost levels etc... ;)

FACT: the 2.6L was 2.6 L and not 3.0 or 3.2 or 5.0 for a simple reason. The RB26 was designed for racing in the 4.5L and below class.. with a turbocharger handicap ratio of 1.7 i.e. 2.6 x 1.7 = 4.42... that was how that class was decided. That explains the odd 2.6L ... I mean imagine an RB45.. :D :D :D

b) Nissan's new engines, in the US like the Spec-V Sentra are great, but have problems with cylinders bursting when you turbocharge them.. thin-walled... bad for boost... i.e. they are making cool cars in factory trim, but scarily nott thinking of the (hardcore) tuner crowd..

I wish/hope I can keep my R33 for ever.... I love that car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts