GTR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fortunately this thread is not dead :cool:
I finally found a Vspec II Bonnet and I am currently just planning on when to pick it up as the covid-situation limits the transport a bit.
If everything turns out fine I can bring the bonnet in June to MT-Carbon so they can start the manufacturing process.
Hello mate, im interested in a carbon vspec2 hood for my bnr34, any news??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello mate, im interested in a carbon vspec2 hood for my bnr34, any news??
I will be making Forged carbon Z tune Bonet, fenders as well as the bumper and spliter. I will soon report how it went, atm just waiting for the carbon to arrive (end of June) if it goes well I will be attempting to do other parts too. I will update this post with photos of the process.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I will be making Forged carbon Z tune Bonet, fenders as well as the bumper and spliter. I will soon report how it went, atm just waiting for the carbon to arrive (end of June) if it goes well I will be attempting to do other parts too. I will update this post with photos of the process.
I think im not quoted you, i quoted @jacksonguitar that is the thread opener so who you are?

·
Registered
R34 GTR Vspec in Bayside Blue
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Finally some updates for you guys.

On Friday I was finally picking up the the OEM carbon bonnet from a friend. It was a 1000km+ road trip but totally worth it as I could just borrow the bonnet for free with basically no time limit :).

Honestly acquiring the bonnet was giving me the most worries as some people wanted crazy money (10.000€ and more) for it. Also for borrowing some guy wanted 8000€ as a pawn and after that an R-Tune bonnet. Like seriously this is what I hate now about the BNR34 market – it attracts a lot of people that probably don’t value the car that much. Back in the days you could basically just grab and borrow any OEM part from people to get the car road legal. When finishing registration, you just give the parts back. That’s what I miss – down to earth people. Fortunately, the the guy that gave me the bonnet was one of the down to earth people – thx again.

So back to the topic. This is the bonnet.

As you can see it is not 100% perfect but what would you expect from an authentic Vspec II bonnet for free? :D

So I brought the bonnet to MT-Carbon and they will basically repair it and then manufacture the molds. So quality wise it will be the same as OEM. In my opinion it will be a lot better.
The OEM Z-Tune bonnet is heavy and so is the OEM Vspec II bonnet.

Quality-wise it will be like the Z-Tune bonnet they are making.
Don't mind the dust and dirt there:

I was at their workshop and unfortunately I cannot post more pictures on what they are working on. But all I can say is that they are doing top-notch work.

Next steps:
  • Repairing the dents and fixing everything that is uneven on the OEM Vspec II bonnet
  • Test fitting on my BNR34
  • Manufacturing the molds
  • Manufacturing the bonnets

From a time-frame I cannot say much other than they are flooded with work. Start of their work on the Vspec II bonnet will be end of September/Beginning of October. So please don't message them - they get so many requests from time wasters - it is ridiculous.
If you want to know more about the details just PM me on this forum or directly on the thread. I hope I can answer them.

All in all I think this is a great project and if everything turns out well we can make A LOT MORE stuff from high quality carbon.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
That looks really good. Thanks for the information - would be interesting what will be the price in the end.

Regarding the MT-Carbon project unfortunately things are taking longer than expected as they are full with other projects. Kinda unfortunate as winter is coming soon here and then I won't drive my GTR to them in the snow for test fitting. So at the moment I am trying to push the project a bit so they will hurry up for this year.
I hope this is understandable for everybody as I am waiting for the bonnet too. If I have any updates I will inform you guys. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi guys,

Not sure if this group buy is still going ahead but I’m interested in purchasing a bonnet from MT Carbon if this is still going to happen. I’ve been trying to contact them but it seems difficult to get a response. Please let me know if it’s possible to be included if and when the time comes.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes it is still going on. Problem is that they have a lot of projects besides organizational problems due to the pandamic so the vspec II bonnet got delayed a lot.
The molds for the bonnets should be finished in the next 2-3 weeks as they were repairing and fillering the oem bonnet. The condition of the donor oem bonnet was not perfect, but hey - it was free ;-)

Why does this take so long?

They are only two people.Clogged with work - so what are they working on? What I know from my memory is the following:
  • Whole Side Panel for Mitsubishi Evo 8 (or 7?)
  • Carbon Airboxes of some vehicles
  • Batch of 20+ z-Tune Bonnets for the BNR34
  • And they are doing a full Carbon Kit for the Toyota Yaris GR

So I am waiting like you guys. The thread is not dead and I am planning to start the season with the new bonnet in April.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts