GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track today and boiled my fluid after 5 laps on a short course (top speed only about 110 MPH on the back straight). I have been running DOT 4 fluid, thinkin I should just see about some race fluid, what do you sideways guys use over there?
H.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long has the fluid been in the car for? If you're going to the track, fresh fluid would be advisable. If there's any moisture, your boiling point will be much lower.

Dot 5 will be much better, but make sure to totally flush your system out as Dot 5 and 4 are incompatible. All seals in the brake system will also have to be changed. Castrol SRF is one of the better ones, although expensive...

Here's an interesting comparison of boiling temps.

http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html

Gerard

·
Registered
404 Posts
Stopping power

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve boiled DOT 4.1 brake fluid on track days. I’m taking expert advice and having Castrol SRF installed next week and hang the cost got to be worth it for peace of mind.

Paul.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
I've currently got Motul RBF600 in (courtesy of Gary at GTart) having boiled my fluid at Silverstone. Absolutely no problems whatsoever, took repeated stops from 140 mph at Bedford without a whiff of boiling. No need to change seals and it's much cheaper than SRF and less hygroscopic I believe.

Have a look here:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?s=&postid=5880#post5880

Having read GMC's link about fluids, it appears that RBF600 is in fact more hygroscopic than SRF...

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, now to find some Motul RBF 600!?!? here in the states! I'm calling some race shops today to see who's got it. As far as power flushing, do you guys recommend it, or just a standard bleed from farthest caliper from master cylinder to nearest when switching? Seems Motul will be easier to change to than Dot 5 and up, since they are incompatible. Geez, what would I do without this site!!!!? Break crap probably!
H.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Change?

For those of you whom have Motul 600 brake fluid, approximately how long do you go between changes of your brake fluid?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts