GTR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

every time i turn my car off (32) the coolant boils almost instantly, ive tried changing the coolant and put some water wetter in it but no change. temp whilst driving normally is usually about 80-85 degrees is this hot or normal? and why is it boiling.

thanks

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Could be a leaky hose? I had one of mine get a small hole in it caused very little water loss but a boiling sound after the engine was turned off.Changed the oil cooler hose under the inlet manifold and the noise went away. 85 to 90 deg is fine

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok ill have a look thanks, could it be that for some reason my engine is running hot and thats whats boiling up the coolant after i turn it off, but i assume that the coolant temp is a direct reflection of the engine temp whilst driving?

i only bought the car a few weeks ago, so i have alot to learn about whats normal and whats not yet. but engine does feel crazy hot after any kind of drive.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Make certain that you bleed the cylinder head - 10mm bolt at the front of the head on the inlet plenum adapter plate.

Make certain that the radiator is full - take cap off when engine is cold to check.

Once you start it make sure that the hot water is coming from the water pump - likely to be the thermostat if is not.

If the above checks out then prepare for some bad news, the worst being a cracked head and the best being a head gasket.

ALL IMHO

·
Registered
552 Posts
Replace the Radiator cap as it sounds like it is not maintaining pressure so preventing boiling.:wavey:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i do have a mystery fluid leak somewhere its only very slight but i cant see where its coming from, all i know is its not engine oil and its above the front tow hook perhaps this is leaking coolant hose somewhere and causing my problem.

i have also orderd a nismo rad cap and a new thermostat.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. Turned out that the head was cracked :( Hope it's not the same for you matey.

·
Registered
242 Posts
rad cap, mine did the same (took the cap off and the seal was stuffed) put a new $5 jobby on and solved the problem :) cheapest fix ever!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
defo rad cap, mine was making the same pulsating 'surge' noise post shutdown......water rushing from the rad to the expansion bottle......
all looked fine on the guage, but i decided to swap the cap to a spare one and all sorted.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Boiling on turn off

Check the water pump itself for signs of leakage from the tell tale hole.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how exactly do i bleed the cylinder head when im putting coolant in?

do i just take screw out or do u have to take it out and do something else?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts