GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Well I was initially looking at the Greddy T517z's for my twin turbo setup, but after some more research I discovered that this turbo will not be sufficient for my HP goals so I have to go back to the drawing board. I have been searching on the boards for info however not many people are looking to do what I am. Either they want 600+WHP for drag, or a 500+ Street Setup. Also I have looked at the turbo chart over and over, however as that only talks about HP and not responsiveness, that is not sufficient information.

Here is what I am looking for: A Twin Turbo bolt on setup capable of 600WHP however as I am looking for a street setup I also need it to be as responsive as possible with the least amount of lag. Now of course I know that with increased power comes increased lag, however I am trying to find out what turbo will be the ideal compromise. I also plan on keeping the stock 2.6L and not going stroked. I will however, have all of the necessary supporting mods. Since I am keeping the 2.6L that means I need a turbo that is also not prone to shuffle, which means that the HKS GT-RS is out of the questions as they are infamous for shuffle. Other than that I am open to suggestions. Also before anyone says to switch to a single setup, I have considered this and decided to stay with the twins. Now please keep in mind that this will be a street setup and not a drag setup when you make your suggestions. Thanks a lot for all of the help guys.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey guys. Well I was initially looking at the Greddy T517z's for my twin turbo setup, but after some more research I discovered that this turbo will not be sufficient for my HP goals so I have to go back to the drawing board. I have been searching on the boards for info however not many people are looking to do what I am. Either they want 600+WHP for drag, or a 500+ Street Setup. Also I have looked at the turbo chart over and over, however as that only talks about HP and not responsiveness, that is not sufficient information.

Here is what I am looking for: A Twin Turbo bolt on setup capable of 600WHP however as I am looking for a street setup I also need it to be as responsive as possible with the least amount of lag. Now of course I know that with increased power comes increased lag, however I am trying to find out what turbo will be the ideal compromise. I also plan on keeping the stock 2.6L and not going stroked. I will however, have all of the necessary supporting mods. Since I am keeping the 2.6L that means I need a turbo that is also not prone to shuffle, which means that the HKS GT-RS is out of the questions as they are infamous for shuffle. Other than that I am open to suggestions. Also before anyone says to switch to a single setup, I have considered this and decided to stay with the twins. Now please keep in mind that this will be a street setup and not a drag setup when you make your suggestions. Thanks a lot for all of the help guys.

-Sayajin

I've got a MINT set of HKS 3037s I could sell you. That should be good for 800WHP in proper tune.

·
Registered
24 Posts

-Sayajin

I've got a MINT set of HKS 3037s I could sell you. That should be good for 800WHP in proper tune. Spool time would depend on cam selection, total displacement, and port polish work if any.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a MINT set of HKS 3037s I could sell you. That should be good for 800WHP in proper tune. Spool time would depend on cam selection, total displacement, and port polish work if any.
Thx, however based upon what I know about those turbos they are not plausible as a street application. Especially as I am keeping the 2.6L and not stroking. They are meant for drag. Thx tho.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sayajin,

Your stateside correct? What kind of power are you after? If your set on driveability why not get a new set of N1's, matching cams, port work, fuel setup, and a good tune. Look up tuning concepts in TX. Justin Ninni is quite good. The N1 setup should support 500-550WHP and would spool like an air impact gun.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Dude, no offence but you are looking for the impossible. 2.6, twins, 650 wheel horse power and drivability just aint gonna happen. You say bolt on, I assume you are not thinking of upgrading the internals for such a job?

I think you should revise your plan a little.

Oh and BTW....wrong section.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
600awhp is possible with hks 2530's and has been proven by an aussie on a standard bore 2.6 gtr, with 260deg cams, albeit with 34psi boost

also said car runs consistent low 10's
34psi = 2.3bar of boost!!! I think that is WAY above what pressure the 2530 was rated for? I thought those turbo are okay up to maybe 1.6bar and anything after that it is just making heat and not boost.

That saying, if you are honestly looking 650whp with a 2.6 bore, I would have to say T04Z is going to be your best bet. anything bigger than 2530 is going to start having shuffle problem. And the small turbo are not going to be very effective at higher REV. I think T04Z will have simillar boost threshold as the GT-RS on a 2.6 application, will not cause shuffle problem, and are more effective on higher rev range. If you are going to keep it 2.6, then you are probably going for 9K+ Rev right? So if your powerband is from 5K-9K, that is still pretty good.

If you want 650hp and under 4.5K powerband, then sorry, it is a dream unless you get variable vane turbo! Those are another options also. :)

3,666 Posts
T04z will struggle to make a Genuine 650 whp on a 2.6 , it is only quoted as a 700bhp turbo (flywheel) also it will struggle to flow enough air over 8000rpm with a 0.86 ar exhaust housing your have to go for the larger one 1.00 from memory this will lift the boost threshold even higher.

On a 2.6 with a big blower you car will drive nice car off of boostwith a good tune but no boost till 5000rpm then all hell will let loose.....

·
Registered
303 Posts
=Nocturnal;545191]34psi = 2.3bar of boost!!! I think that is WAY above what pressure the 2530 was rated for? I thought those turbo are okay up to maybe 1.6bar and anything after that it is just making heat and not boost.
that was on a dyno run with the wastegates disconnected so the turbos were making as much boost as they possibly could. the car runs 404awkw's day in day out and runs low 10's and this setup has been running for over 2yrs

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.