GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along on saturday Jez noticed the bonnet on my car bouncing a lot - In fact he thought it was about to fly open.

The bonnet on my R33 has always done that (never really bothered me). Is this a common thing or should I be worried?

John

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The rubber bonnet stoppers on either side of the engine bay (at the front) may be loose/corroded. I've heard someone else reporting exactly the same symptoms and that was the cause.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Mine too! I have tried fiddling with the rubber stops (rotate them and they adjust the height) but it does not seem to have got much better.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Durzel,

Are you suggesting they be raised in some way so as to stress the bonnet upward (to stopping it bouncing downward)?:confused:

John

P.S. Nice Avatar!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
John: Thanks :)

To be honest I don't know for sure if this is the solution to the problem, all I know was that someone else who reported exactly the same problem when I was in earshot was advised to get new rubber stoppers because theirs were corroded.

I would imagine raising the stoppers would give the bonnet less room to move, but I honestly don't know if its the complete solution to the problem.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Darren

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave,

Yes I'll be there on Saturday.

Anything else squeek, creek rattle or groan (the car that is) that we should talk about at the same time?

John

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Fuggles said:

Anything else squeek, creek rattle or groan (the car that is) that we should talk about at the same time?
John
Yes, the missus:D
The car is fine.
Durzel, will be nice to meet at last and see this LM.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Got the same prob on me 33 .

Got it professionally looked at and came away with a clean bill of health (the bonnet that is ) .

The bonnets are aluminium and are not as strong/turgid (?) as say steel ones so I guess there is more flex as the air gets under them at speeds .

Anyway you guys shouldn't be driving so fast ! :D :p

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
davewilkins said:

Yes, the missus:D
The car is fine.
Durzel, will be nice to meet at last and see this LM.
Likewise Dave!

I wont be running the car (I'm not booked) but I'm keen to see how everyone else gets on.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
loose things

My Bonnet does the same... it always has ( cept the time it flew open at over 100mph, but thats another stoy) I was told whilst having a new early front splitter ( still looking for a late one) at the weekend that one of the rubber bonnet stops had perished and that it could no longer be adjusted so i am after some new ones, looking at it , it seems that this is the problem, just need the new rubber thingies...

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
Bonnets

I thought the R33 had 2 latches, one either side.

The R32 has one and does lift due to being ali.

At 150 mph mine was reported to be lifting by as much as 40mm at the front corners.

Aparently this is normal, and aslong as the is no rust on the latch bracket in front of the rad, you shouldn't have it blow over. Which is nice to know.:eek:

Besides it allows extra cool air get to our induction kits.:D ;)

Adjusting the rubers may just end up with a bonnet that won't close flush when closed. They are only bump stops after all, not supports.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Re: loose things

PMJ said:
My Bonnet does the same... it always has ( cept the time it flew open at over 100mph, but thats another stoy) I was told whilst having a new early front splitter ( still looking for a late one) at the weekend that one of the rubber bonnet stops had perished and that it could no longer be adjusted so i am after some new ones, looking at it , it seems that this is the problem, just need the new rubber thingies...
Hi Paul. :)

This was the person I was referring to originally that had experienced the same problem.

You had any joy yet finding a deeper front splitter Paul? I scraped mine driving into TJ - I was most displeased :mad: .. Gonna have to give it a touch up on Saturday.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Scuff

Thats a bugger... Hows the new bits going... I wont be there Saturday but the car will. no luck with the sploiler yetbut I'll keep trying, i may have a buyer for the one I just put on all I need is to find the late model one..

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
This is the feature that stops me going too fast. I hate the bonnet flexing on mine...

I thought I was the only one but obviously not.

I have tried adjusting the rubbers but all made no difference.

/Steve

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Guess we'll have a session on Saturday trying to come up with solutions - everybody's contribution welcome!

John

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Solutions

A)Don't drive in 100mph head winds.

B)Take the bonnet off ,which has a pleasant side effect with even more air going into one's intakes ,which will mean Scott will be outta a job though!

C)Drill holes/vents into bonnet to allow excess air to 'bleed' off.

D)Reinforce the said bonnet with 4be2's sprayed in silver of course !

E)Sit a bird on the bonnet (prefferably with no feathers on ,less aerodunamic drag you see. ;) :D )

1 - 20 of 39 Posts