GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas,

I'm right in the middle of trying to choose what type of boost controller I'm going to fit to my VSPEC II.

I had planned on a Blitz DSBC, but at a later date was planning on fitting an Apexi Power FC unit too.....

I didn't know the boost kit was available till I saw it mentioned here and now I'm keen to skip the Blitz boost controller and head straight to the Apexi and kill 2 birds with one stone.

The questions are.......

1. Is there any functions lost between a Blitz or other good boost controller and the Apexi unit ???
2. If there are functions lost are they important ones or tossy extras ???
3. If there's no loss on functions, is it just as easy to change ???

My grand plan once the computers replaced is, fuel pump, injectors and GT 2530's. I don't want huge HP, but I am looking at 600 and trying to keep as drivable and torquey as possible.

Any suggestions on which way I should head once I've got my boost controller covered ?????? Do I need to look at cams etc etc, any suggestions greatly received.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Fraser

New Zealand

PS I've got a website full of movies if you're interested. Offered them to Joss so he could link to them, but he's so busy he hasn't had time.

http://kickass.at/gtrcentral/

Some of them are huge so beware, but bandwidth is plentyfull so go for your life.

·
Registered
212 Posts
hi there neighbour...
blitz make one of the most accurate boost controllers and the power fc is ideal for lightly modded cars... so together they make a great combination...
you can get the optional boost selenoid for the power fc but it wont be adjustable unless you plan on having a hand controller as well...
or you can opt for the avc-r which is supposedly far superior to the power fc boost selenoid but it cost just as much as the blitz unit...

cheers...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boost controllers

I had planned on having the commander unit................are you saying that it's not going to work as well as a Blitz or HKS etc unit ??????

What is it that people judge boost controllers on ????? Is it reaction time etc etc ???????? Maybe I'm just assuming that all the did was restrict boost, but I suppose there's alot more to it as far as what needs to be done and how quickly.

As I said I really won't go further than 600 HP.

I'm really fussy about having too many gadgets in the car so I thought I could kill 2 birds..............what I'm not prepared to do though is compromise, performance reliability etc, so if you think for what I've described I shouldn't be going the Apexi way please let me know.

Cheers mate.......

Fraser

PS All Blacks by 10 in the next game :D Did you know that Jonah Lomu's got an R34 ? Lives just up the road from me.............when he gets back off tour I'm hopefully going to get his twin plate nismo clutch and light flywheel cheap !! He's got a Nismo triple plate here............looks like a nice piece of kit !!!!

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Hi Fraser,

The boost kit which you can install with the PFC is a basic boost controller. It's not an all singing, all dancing piece of kit as you can't program overboost, etc. but it does what it's supposed to do very well. You have the option of 4 boost setting so it's a cinch to go in and change the settings on the move. It will also save you set up time (& costs) because it doesn't need setting up. It self learns so (more or less) you fit it and leave it alone. The only function you have to play about with is the duty cycle for the boost solenoid. If you don't have the PFC boost kit, you won't be able to monitor or adjust boost using the handset.

Emre,

Why do you say "the PFC is ideal for lightly modded cars"? It's certainly not just for lightly modded cars. It's absolutely future proof and will cope with as much power and all the associated alterations to the maps, systems, etc. you can throw at it. Why else would Mario be putting one on his latest big power venture?

Peter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
peter...
my definition of heavily modded car is 6-700+ hp... and to the best of my knowledge at this power they ditch the air flow meters and go with map sensors which power fc does not support... i am not certain but i doubt mario will be using the power fc with his new setup... also i think with his previous setup he had the power fc pro with its laptop link...

canman...
boost controllers are judged on how quickly they bring the car on full boost and hold it there as accurate as possible without any big spikes... and as far as i know the blitz is one of the best in the market... avc-r has a few extra features as adjusting the boost per gear and an attractive display which is what you aren't keen on... i dont know much about the power fc boost selenoid so hopefully someone else will fill you in on its capabilities...

cheers...

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Not wishing to split hairs, more a bit of clarification....

Emre,

It wasn't your definition of 'heavily modded' that I was contemplating. It was your definition of 'lightly modded' which I wondering about. As you know Mario's 33 was running in excess of 600 bhp at the wheels using the Power FC. The FC Pro does not add anything to the capabilities of the PFC, it's purely a convenient aid to mapping and offers data logging, real time diagnostics, etc. Ignoring differences in dynos results, surely this just cannot be regarded as a 'lightly modded' car.

I'm not sure what Mario is intending to finally fit to his 34 other than I know that he has had a PFC fitted to it.

I just think that the PFC is such a wonderful piece of kit that I do tend to be a little protective of it sometimes. The more people who fit it, the better I reckon....

Peter.

PS. Forgot to mention Rupert J's 33 which is running a T78 and the PFC which made 650+ on a chassis dyno at Guy's dyno day and (I think) 700+ on an engine dyno since then.... He's fitting NO2 also which should let it see 800... :eek:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Power FC

Thanks for the info guys it's really helpful to get other peoples angles when you're going into the unknown as such.

Should I be looking at the Power FC pro just to be on the safe side ??????? I certainly like the idea of being able to extract as much information as possible, it's safer that way right ????

I already use my MFD 2 output to capture all the telemitary from the car when using it on track days..............it's not particularly useful, as I'm not racing it seriously, but it's very interesting to see and understand what the cars up to.

PeteE, re the overboosting thing..............I saw a brochure yesterday for the PowerFC or it may have been the pro which showed all of the screens you're likely to see on the commander unit and scamble/overboost was 1 option.............is it possible they've added this since you had one or is your's new ??????

Is that really a big feature ??????

My main concern is that I don't blow my lovely new car to bits !! :D

Thanks again

Fraser

·
Registered
212 Posts
peter...

i agree with you in that power fc is a very good aftermarket ecu... especially if you can get a second hand unit (just the ecu) for $1200AUS... that's a measly 400 pounds for you dudes... and best of it all it's a plugin system with decent load points... you can drive right away with the base maps and it's fairly easy to tune on the dyno... i have seen gtr's running 550 hp with power fc... i've also been told of another car running 700hp on power fc but my knowledge is limited on that car...

but the general consensus down here is that if you are aiming for 700+hp you are better of using motec or even autronic... i dont think i'll get my gtr pushing these figures therefore power fc will be good enough for me but i doubt that someone with a lot deeper pockets, ex:mario would be using a power fc... power fc pro is a different kettle of fish on the other hand... it gives you the option to run map sensors and used by some japanese tuning houses pushing huge powers... i am pretty sure it has some other differences than the fc but i can't name them for you...

cheers...

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Hi Fraser,

I really don't know about a scramble boost function. It may well have been added since I fitted mine.... Apexi have not been well represented over here with very little information being available so it's perfectly possible that this is a new function. I see that www.apexi.co.jp do list the PFC Pro (drag) as a different unit than the PFC. I thought that the FC Pro related to the PC link software which is not generally available? Mario may be best placed to answer that one if he's used the FC Pro version.

I have to say that I can't really see the point in scramble boost particularly if you're on stock turbos. I like to run maximum boost that these will withstand all the time so why run at a lower boost with scramble at maximum or even worse, run at maximum boost and then risk blowing them at a higher than recommended boost on scramble?

The most useful function that the PFC does support, which I don't think Motec or Autronic do, is det. sensing and monitoring. At least you know what's going on and can take steps if needed...

Hi Emre,

Like I say, I wasn't splitting hairs but your first post did say that the PFC was good for 'lightly modded cars'. I just wanted to make it clear that it will cope with more than 'lightly' and will support quite heavily modded cars. Over here, anything over 500 - 550 bhp would be considered as fairly heavily modded... :)

Cheers.

Peter.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Power FC Pro

Thanks Peter and Emre................it's interesting the different definitions of Light and Heavy mod..........

Having lived in the UK for 13 years when younger I grew up in the Golf GTI, Peugeot 205 era..............I used to think they were cool and soooooo fast, but oh how time changes your opinion.

There's no doubt that these cars are absolute classics and started a real performance car push, but I suppose the insurance is what restricts things in the UK, I know whilst I was there I was paying a fortune as I was under 25............

Over in NZ 5-600 HP is light to medium, 750-900 is heavy mod level..... and then of course there's the 1000 + which is banzai territory !!! :D

The car scene here is so liberal compared to the UK as it's quite easy for an under 25 to by an Impreza STI V, for about .....ah......10,000 quid (3 year old etc etc), get it insured fully comp for around 2-300 quid. Another example is that I bought my R33 VSPEC at 24 years old, 1997 car, 18,000 miles, great nick.....light mod, 450HP ish...............cost 15,000 quid, cost just under 200 quid fully comp to insure !! 2 years later you can pick up that type/spec car for about 12,000 quid.......

How do those figure compare ????????

I don't know for sure, but based on my time there, that would be unheard of.

Anyhow that's badly off subject sorry.

Does anyone out there know if I should go for the Power FC Pro ??????

Thanks again for the help all.

Fraser

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Fraser,

Go with the normal PFC with the controller and the solenoid and you will have very good set up. As you mentioned you will "only" be looking to fit the 2530s so I think this is more than enough!!

You have the MFD to download data....:)

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Fraser & Emre,

Don't forget that I talking proper UK bhp not the inflated US or Aussie numbers!! :p

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HP

It's not how big or small your HP is Peter, it's how you use it....... :D

You know that !! :D

Fraser

·
Registered
212 Posts
peter...
in regard to your inflated aussie dyno readout comment i'd like to know the difference between the two... i know us dynos gave out quite generous readings but i wonder how aussie dyno dynamics dyno readout compare to yours...?
for example... a bone stock gtr running factory boost putts out about 140 awkw... with a decent exhaust and 1 bar of boost they put out about 182awkw... readings are done in 4th gear...alternatively about 155awkw with stock boost and 209awkw with 1 bar boost in 3rd gear...

cheers...

·
Registered
547 Posts
awkw?

What's awkw Emre? At Wheel kW?

For the non-metric / kW folks (which is most of us:)) 1 kW = 1.43 bhp so: (with some rounding)

140 kW = 190 bhp
182 kW = 245 bhp

I'd expect a standard R33 GTR with 0.7 bar to make about 300 bhp (224 kW) and a 1bar example about 360 bhp (268 kW) and suffer a little over 100 bhp in transmission losses at peak power in 4th, so that's about the same as Emre's numbers :).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts