GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I come back from my vacation I will be fitting a full exhaust system and to keep boost limited to a safe level I also plan in fitting a solenoid boost controller.

Any thoughts on the different versions out there???
HKS EVC/EVS Pro
Apex-i AVC-D
Bltz Dual-SBC/SBC-iD
GReddy PRofec/PRofec B Spec

Appreciate any feedback...ie accuracy, programming ease...etc

Dino

·
Registered
534 Posts
Boost Controllers

I use the Bltz Dual-SBC/SBCon Abbey's advice... not sure if it's an -iD sub-model... he also recomended the B Spec.

It's very easy to program of which there are 4 as well as an emergancy "boost release level."

you set boost and sensitivity/speed of response of the soloniod release.

it's small (fits in the money tray to the right of the R34's steering column.)

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers fro the immediate response:)

I'm thinking of fitting it in the little box under the stereo...so it can be hidden by simply closing the lid.

The iD version has an LCD display which gives you little graphs and stuff.

By the way is the boost reading on the SBC identical to the MFD reading??

Dino

·
Registered
534 Posts
Dual SBC

The readings are almost identical to the MFD.

Also, today I got a full English translation of the entire manual, complete with diagrams ... which is rather helpful ... I'll shove it on the www.gtr.co.uk site at the weekend.

Which will stop the R34 peak boosting to 1.55 on standard turbos :eek: Which it did on the way to Gaydon.

Also had a drag race with David Yu's tuned Ferrari F355 ... and even with the boost back to 1.15, I was quicker :smokin:

·
Registered
133 Posts
don't understand why there are so many controllers in the market and i wanna make sure that i get the right one.

pls. rate the followings: (price, install, setup, use)
(1 - 5, 5 is the best)

blitz dual sbc
hks evc 4
avc r

tks.

michael.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am using Profec B. A bit out of date. High boost is set at 1.02 bar but sometime could overboost to 1.15 bar during high acceleration. No scramble mode. I have friends who use HKS and Apex'i. I think these are better and more up to date.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Profec B Spec

The Profec B is extremely simple to both install and use. It has a compact head unit (quarter din E sized) and has simple adjustments to control low and high boost. It can be set up with a wireless remote control to activate the high boost (steering wheel mounted with velcro). No it doesnt have loads of exotic tea making functions it just controls the boost !

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's the problem with the ProfecB which I mentioned earlier. No scramble mode to cater for short overboost unlike the HKS version. The scramble mode isn't exactly tea making facility but it's quite useful.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Scramble

The Blitz Dual SBC has a scramble mode, though you have to press one of the 2 buttons on the front of it .... which could be tricky in a rush.

You can program how much additional boost you want and for how many seconds :D

You may be able to get a remote for it, I don't know.:confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
hi guy,

that's sad...wat if i get the power fc (or mines vx-rom) installed together with the boost controller.

will there be any diff????

tks.

michael.

·
Registered
133 Posts
scramble mode

to all experts,

pls. list out some controllers that aldy hv scarmble mode besides profec b & dsbc.

tks. very much for your help.

(guy, how bout running 1.1 bar on a daily basis, is that dangerour as well)

michael.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another one with scramble mode is the HKS controller. In my friend's car, the high boost is sustained for 10 seconds through a remote "trigger" button mounted near the hand brake. Very easily accessible.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Re: scramble mode

If you have an R33 on standard turbos, they were designed to run at 0.7bar ... so 1.1bar all the time would be pushing your luck:(

If you've upgraded the internals to steel with 360degree bearings, then I'd say 1.1 would be OK.:)

- Joss

97 GTR VSPEC said:
to all experts,

(guy, how bout running 1.1 bar on a daily basis, is that dangerour as well)

michael.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Controllers

Now i have read all the replies I think I am going to go for the EVC as it seems good value for money comparied with other options and one of the easier units to learn to use.
Thanx guys

:cool:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts