GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a boost controller.

Basically I need you guys to confirm that I can set my own amount of boost and hopefully it will reduce some of the lag??? Can anyone confirm this.

Also is it hard to setup??? I guess I will be running 1 bar as I'm on std. turbos?? Any advances???

Also I've shortlisted three. These are

HKS EVC 4
Apexi AVC-R
Blitz DSBC

Basically is there anyone out there running any of the above or can anyone recommend one of the above or the most ideal??

Cheers

P.S. If theres any other good ones I don't mind having a look into them

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
get a SIMPLE Boost controller or your gona be mixed up in too much wireing and stuff ,, and a Boost guage ,,,

Just run your car at 1.2 trust me you will be very happy

·
Registered
88 Posts
1.2 bar on standard turbos?

This goes against common advice/opinion, that being that 1 bar is as high as is reliably safe.....

If you want to run 1.2 bar, replacing the internals with steel bits is cheaper than repairing an engine which has digested your shattered ceramic whatsits :(

·
Registered
364 Posts
i agree with the previous post i would'nt run my car at 1.2 bar without changing internals, and possibly would change the ecu as well.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Absolutely true. Not sure on what the max recommended boost is for stock ceramics on R32 & R33s but Nismo advises to stick to a max of 1.15 on R34 ones. I personally use 1.05 held and that is good enough for me.

r33 v-spec...the advantages of running a boost controller is that you can progamme different settings ie low/high/splash, and that the twin solenoid or steppng motor(EVC5) will controll boost much more effeciently without allowing for dangerous spikes. You will not reduce turbo lag....this will only happen if you fit a less restrictive exhaust system together with some induction kit such as the HKS SPFs.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Does that mean HKS have gone down the same sort of route as Blitz's DSBC and used dual solenoids to control the boost ?

Is the HKS unit still fuzzy logic or does it work like the Blitz one ? (i have the Blitz DSBC on my GTI-R by the way).

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys

Didn't know there was a EVC5 out.

Looks to be similar to the Blitz DSBC.

So does the EVC have a lot of wiring, i.e. how hard is it to fit and setup??

Also I've heard from ppl that a boost controller may spoool up the turbos quicker at lower RPM's.

I've already got NISMO exhaust/downpipes, decat and K&N filters with M's pipes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Daz GTI-R said:
Does that mean HKS have gone down the same sort of route as Blitz's DSBC and used dual solenoids to control the boost ?

Is the HKS unit still fuzzy logic or does it work like the Blitz one ? (i have the Blitz DSBC on my GTI-R by the way).

Cheers,
Daz
Do you use the single or the dual solenoid?
I use the single version with the same controller on my Volvo but I'm having some trouble with steady boost around 0.3 bar.
I just won't stick to that amount and starts hunting the actuator.
Is the dual really that much better?

This is my setup.

Apart form that bug the thing is working very nice.
I don't use the scramble mode and only 2 settings.
It's a shame that the gain setting can't be set at each boost setting but only as an overall adjustment.
The warn system works nice also.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Hi JohnD,

Mine is the Dual solenoid version.

Abbey set mine up for me (i wouldn't have a clue to be honest), so i'm not really sure i can help you out.

If you want, i can make a note of all of my settings tomorrow and forward them to you ?

I run 3 of the 4 settings (although i only use the 1 bar setting), and i haven't set the scramble up either. Mine holds 1 bar perfectly - as proven by Mark on several bits of equipment that we've had on the car to check things out.

Cheers,
Daz

PS Hope you resolve the problem soon mate.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thats what I'd like to use it at; 1 bar steady.

Do you roughly know what is required to fit/setup??

I guess you would recommend the DSBC then??

And what do you mean three out of four settings??

Sorry for all the Q's

·
Registered
211 Posts
Daz,

Thanks for the reply.

I build it in myself, the dash was the hardest part.
Maybe the wastegate has a "strong" spot, I don't know.
All seems to be 100%.
How does vacuum hose lenghts affect the accuracy you think?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
r33 v-spec said:
Well thats what I'd like to use it at; 1 bar steady.

Do you roughly know what is required to fit/setup??

I guess you would recommend the DSBC then??

And what do you mean three out of four settings??

Sorry for all the Q's
Hi, i personally like the DSBC, but then i'm not using it on the GTR - you really need the input from these guys and from the tuners, they'll be able to give you pro's and con's of each and help recommend one (i've only ever used the DSBC, so i'm biased ! :D ).

3 out of 4 settings means that you can have 4 preset boost settings - i.e. standard bosot, 1 bar, 1.2 bar and then your highest boost setting. This means you can drive the car around as standard on the lowest setting or in it's fastest mode in the highest setting. I have 3 of the 4 set on mine. Most have a splash mode which means you can "punch" the button and for 20 or 30 seconds the boost controller will control the boost for that given setting (so you could be using 0.8 bar and spot something to play with for a moment...rather than switching modes, you'd hit the splash mode and for 30 seconds boost at 1.2 bar - meaning you can "play" more effectively).

I don't really know what's required in the fitting as it was done for me.

Hope this helps.
Daz

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your help daz

I guess you mostly drive round at 1 bar??

I want mine to run at 1 bar most of the time too. On std. turbos this should be fine. I probably wouldn't use the splash button. 1 bars fine. Can't risk my engine/turbos!!!

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
r33 v-spec....I suggest you consider the new EVC 5 as it is a new generation product. The stepping motor is much faster and accurate than the solenoids/twin solenoids. It has a nice large display and can be fitted in a number of different positions. The price is almost the same as the EVC4 so the choice is really not hard IMO. I'm also thinking of upgrading my EVC4 to the the 5...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I'm running the Blitz DSBC on my R34. Appears to be a very quick to respond and holds the boost rock solid. Highly recommended.

In regards to the question about spooling the turbos quicker with a boost controller, here is my underdstanding. The boost controller bypasses the factory boost control solenoids which are controlled by the ECU. The ECU starts to trigger the wastegate vent sequence through the factory solenoids after about 5 psi is reached. This is done in a conservative (read gradual) manner to ensure that the maximum factory boost setting (about 0.93 bar on an R34) is not exceeded. On the other hand, the dedicated boost solenoids/stepper motors in an aftermarket electronic boost controller are far quicker to respond and can be setup to provide less "pre-leak". This may result in a slightly greater spike in boost above the preset limit but also allows the boost to reach its peak setting faster. Hence, an electronic boost controller does in fact allow the turbos to spool faster (or boost to build quicker).

Hope this helps.

Cya O!

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for confirming that hipogtr.

Thats exactly what I've heard

And yes DCD I'm definitely considering either the EVC5 or Blitz DSBC

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
told you v,spec you can set up thoes gains and the exeleration is ab fab my gto used to fly i think im going to sell this hks,mk 4 and go down that route again , here we gooooooo:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts