* Buddyclub Downpipe
* Buddyclub Decat Pipe
* HKS Induction Kit
* Titanium Cat-Back Exhaust
* Nismo Clutch
* Apexi AVCR Boost Controller (Black)
*HKS Lowering Springs
* Project MV Brake Pads
* Nismo LM GT4 18x9.5 ET12 Limited Edition Forged Monoblock Alloy Wheels in Gunmetal Grey
* White Nismo Centre Dash Guages (Front Torque - Boost - Oil Temperature)
* Carbon Fibre Rear Spoiler Blade
* Carbon Fibre Rear Spoiler End Caps
* Nismo N1 Bumper Vents
* Xenon Headlight Conversion
* GReddy Oil Filler Cap
* Greddy Radiator Cap
* Greddy Air Division Cooling Plate
* Cusco Polished Strut Brace
* Full Set of Earls Braided Hoses
* CAT 1 Alarm & Immobiliser with Remote Central Locking
* Pioneer Radio/CD Stereo (ipod ready)
* Original GTR Mats - Full Set in excellent condition
* Oil Pressure as follows - Cold: 6 BAR - Warm: 2.5 BAR - at 3k RPM: 4 BAR
* Remapped ECU by 'Garage D' - To run 1 BAR Boost

Being a bit of a noob am I right in the following.

1- Is there a 1 touch button on the controller to switch between the two boost modes (A) & (B)? If not whatever one is highlighted on the controller by switching between them with the right button is the current boost applacation right which im guessing is usually High and Low boost?

2- Im running 0.7 Bar on low boost and 0.9 Bar on High Boost. I would like more of a Hard Kick to the boost while running on Boost so with the spec above and my car running approx 400BHP am I able to bring up the boost pressure and what settings would you guys recommend?

3-How do I go about changing the rev range of when the boost comes in?

Many Thanks in advance for all your help guys. Im still learning with this car and loving every minute of it :)

Jamie

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
On my AVCR there is a button where if you press it once it will show the boost you're currently running and then if you press again quickly you switch to the other boost setting.

I wouldnt run more than 1 bar on stock turbos. (Mine is set at A=0.75 and B=0.95)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a side note can someone please tell me what "duty" means?

I was looking at my settings and pressed a whong button and it went to change the duty %?? It was on *** whatever that means and now I have a % to put in and have no idea what it means......please help as I dont want to drive the car with some abmormal setting in place...

Jamie

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I would assume its injector duty. To change at what revs your boost comes in you would have to re-dial your cams.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
If it's on the boost controller I'd say it's duty cycle; the higher this is set the more boost you'll get. If you've lost the original settings (will be one figure for each boost setting) then try 10%, see what boost you're getting and then raise it in small amounts until you've got the desired boost levels back.

Having said that I think the Apexi has closed loop control where it learns stuff so it may be more complicated. I've never used one, so can't really help further.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I would assume its injector duty. To change at what revs your boost comes in you would have to re-dial your cams.
On the AVC-R, injector duty is shown under "Inj". The duty he's seeing is probably the duty cycle of the boost control solenoid.

Cheers,
Kingsley.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the AVC-R, injector duty is shown under "Inj". The duty he's seeing is probably the duty cycle of the boost control solenoid.

Cheers,
Kingsley.
Yeah that sounds right, so what happends if I alter the % settings on the duty?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I ran 1.4 bars on stock turbos. My engine died after a month, presumably due to mapping but the turbos were in very sorry shape.

1 bar is plenty. To run more than that, you have to upgrade injectors and fuel pump, and that's just getting started.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im running 0.95 on high boost and my mate with a single turbo who also has approx 400bhp is running the same but in his car the thrust of the turbo when it kicks in feels more powerful that mine, any ideas why? Is it because its a single bigger turbo and you get more kick?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
His may be more laggy, which feels like more of a kick but may not be faster?

I'd be careful increasing boost without getting the car checked on a rolling road or similar to make sure it's mapped right (for the boost and for the fuel you're using etc.).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
His may be more laggy, which feels like more of a kick but may not be faster?

I'd be careful increasing boost without getting the car checked on a rolling road or similar to make sure it's mapped right (for the boost and for the fuel you're using etc.).
Yeah thanks mate, I did put up the duty and sounds like alot of popping from the exhaust when putting down the throttle so I put it back to 50% Also put it up from 0.95 to 1 bar for a little bit and could feel the difference quite a bit. Have now put the settings back to how they were as I dont wanna blow something. But as far as I know the car is mapped to 1bar of boost.

If im running 400BHP on stock turbos, what else will need uprating if I say go for bigger turbos? Im looking for another 100bhp to be honest so whats my best option?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Turbos, injectors, fuel pump, ecu re-map (or new ECU)...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Im running 0.95 on high boost and my mate with a single turbo who also has approx 400bhp is running the same but in his car the thrust of the turbo when it kicks in feels more powerful that mine, any ideas why? Is it because its a single bigger turbo and you get more kick?
The peak power figure is only a very small part of the story. All that tells you is how much power the engine makes at one point in the rpm range - it doesn't tell you how much power and torque it makes everywhere else.

As ru' said, his might be more laggy, thus increasing the *perceived* power when the boost kicks in.

Also, it's possible that his might produce more torque in the mid range (where you're feeling the kick when it comes on boost) but only the same as yours highter up the rpm range (where the peak power figure usually resides) in which case his car would probably be faster than yours in daily use, though not really so much in it on the drag strip. There are so many reasons why his torque curve might be shaped like that compared to yours that there's little point trying to list them all here.

And yes, if you increase the duty on the boost control solenoid, the boost goes up. The boost control solenoid is bleeding off air that would normally be fed to the wastegate actuators. If you bleed all of it off, the wastegates never open and you get the highest boost the turbos could possibly produce (for a disappointingly short time) and if you bleed none of it off, the boost will be limited by the natural opening pressure of the actuators. Bleeding *some* of the air off gives you *some* more boost. The amount of increase is governed by the solenoid duty. Note that the AVC-R introduces (on my car at least) a bit of solenoid duty from low boost (eg 0.2 bar) to help hold the wastegates firmly shut so that the boost can climb more quickly.

Cheers,
Kingsley.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi all just to bring this thread back up again. Upon de acceleration there is alot of popping/gurgleing noises is this normal and my other question is, I'm enjoying using more of the rev band while driving at the moment, so I'll run the turbos then keep going to about 7000rpm, I do find sometimes however there is a lot of jerkyness and lots of loud popping from the exhaust, could this be something caused from the duty settings?

I just want a decent amount of boost and be able to use the whole rev range without problems.

Jamie

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok well I put the duty down and I'll get less popping and noise but I think what I'm gonna do is take her down to abby, get her running on the dyno and then get them to sort out the settings on the avc-r controller and go over the controller withme so I'll know exactly how to use it and what everything does.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts