GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fellas,

Has anyone tried Boostane or other fuel enhancers on a tuned GTR? Is there a noticeable increase? Can it have negative effects?

I'm drag racing next month and was considering it.

Thanks,

MOD

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Boostane seems to be effective but can leave deposits in the engine. Not aware of anyone running it on a gtr.

Loads have used the klotz Higher Octane Booster in the gtr and skyline platform. Very effective and good feedback.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boostane seems to be effective but can leave deposits in the engine. Not aware of anyone running it on a gtr.

Loads have used the klotz Higher Octane Booster in the gtr and skyline platform. Very effective and good feedback.

Thanks Mart,

When I asked the guys at Litchfield one of them told me he wouldn't recommend using fuel enhancers but didn't specify why, do you think it may have any possible side effects? I know the car doesn't have a race fuel map and the max is the 99 map, other people used enhancers with no issues like you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I think part of the issue is some people don't use fuel additives or race fuel sensibly. The guys at Litchfield do a bit of race fuel tuning but love ethanol. The power gains are excellent plus it helps the engine run cooler. With a flex kit it also takes away the chance of user error.

As for additives, there are many out there and they are not all equal. Doing as you have and looking for recommendations of products that run well on a particular platform is the right way to go. I can vouch for thr klotz.

Running 1 or 2 bottles of that to a tank of pump fuel has the effect of raising the octane rating between 2.5 and 5 MON without adversely affecting the oxygen level/ fuelling requirements. Adding any more than 2 bottles would be pouring your money away imo.

The effect of thr slightly higher octane will stand to give you a nice blend of power and protection from knock and det, particularly when at an event of if out bashing the car with friends (if you know what I mean ?).

There are additives out there that require tuning as it massively changes the oxygen content and would likely result in a lean condition. Also some also seem to leave deposits (like the boostane). This will be why Litchfield err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think part of the issue is some people don't use fuel additives or race fuel sensibly. The guys at Litchfield do a bit of race fuel tuning but love ethanol. The power gains are excellent plus it helps the engine run cooler. With a flex kit it also takes away the chance of user error.

As for additives, there are many out there and they are not all equal. Doing as you have and looking for recommendations of products that run well on a particular platform is the right way to go. I can vouch for thr klotz.

Running 1 or 2 bottles of that to a tank of pump fuel has the effect of raising the octane rating between 2.5 and 5 MON without adversely affecting the oxygen level/ fuelling requirements. Adding any more than 2 bottles would be pouring your money away imo.

The effect of thr slightly higher octane will stand to give you a nice blend of power and protection from knock and det, particularly when at an event of if out bashing the car with friends (if you know what I mean ?).

There are additives out there that require tuning as it massively changes the oxygen content and would likely result in a lean condition. Also some also seem to leave deposits (like the boostane). This will be why Litchfield err on the side of caution.
Thanks for the input mate appreciate it, I might give the Klotz a go actually, I'll hopefully share the feedback if there are any issues

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Thanks Mart,

When I asked the guys at Litchfield one of them told me he wouldn't recommend using fuel enhancers but didn't specify why, do you think it may have any possible side effects? I know the car doesn't have a race fuel map and the max is the 99 map, other people used enhancers with no issues like you mentioned.
Well they wont work without a dedicated map and seeing as how they never hold the requested boost anyway the only thing you can do is input more timing which increases cylinder pressure in a motor with already restricted for safety torque. So unless you are adding to just make sure you have say a 100 octane fuel in the tank then without risking a rod escaping exercise I dont think most tuners would say its worth while, of course if you accept the responsibility and add actuators etc to run more boost then you may well eek a few more hp, the E85 cars seem to work well but this is a totally different fuel and Im sure Martin could explain why they work, I know they run a lot cooler and will indeed have more timing but if your worried about rods etc Id stick with 4.25. IMO a little shot of N2O would offer a better result with less risk on the drag strip as normal practice is to pull a little timing as it comes in.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I got the impression mod was looking for a blend of power and protection. I agree if you're looking for max power, then you should use race fuel with a dedicated tune.

The octane boosters / additives come into their own as they should increase the octane a few numbers over what the car was mapped for which is great for protection against knock and det.

I would also expect the car to drive really nicely with added response and a touch more power. I found on a number of accessions my car would pull chunks of timing at these sorts of events and lose power, due to the amount of heat. It was this that sparked my interest in race fuels and additives and since running that sort of stuff have never had an issue.

Max power then race fuel/E85 with a dedicated tune

Blend of power and protection then a decent octane booster does the trick, without the need for a dedicated tune.

As I said above, without a dedicated tune then anymore than 2 bottles in a tank is pouring your money away as there won't be additional gain for it.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
And like Martin says great for protection, Ill be taking a box to Italy when we do the eurotour as I understand the fuel is not as good there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts