GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for some reason my boots stopped opening electrically.

When activated I can hear it click, but seems to fail to release.

I can manage to get into it using the key in the footwell but was wondering if anyone has had the solenoid fail before?

Thanks in advance!
Steven

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
sorry to hear that. What is the key in the footwell way of unlocking? I assume a manual release. I assume the key from the fob. Which footwell and where?

I did read something a while back about someone who had a similar issue where too much stuff had been put in their boot and the boot shut on it, which had pushed / put pressure in the boot lid. I understand that there is something beneath the fabric part of the bootlid that needs resetting / adjusting or something like that. I am always pretty careful about overloading stuff in the boot because of this.

If you do a search on boot or something like that in the R35 section it might bring something up if no one can give any advice.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Does it not open in any of the three electronic ways: - key, button under dash, button in bumper?

I think that you can use the footwell lock to prevent the boot from opening (as well as to reopen afterwards). Is it definitely not set to lock position?

·
Registered
888 Posts
There's a button in the glove box, once pressed it prevents any of the electronic methods working.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, after months of head scratching, I finally managed to get into my boot!

I ended up removing the subwoofer to get access to the small hole behind, then pushed out the plastic vent.

I then went on to remove the lining from the boot lid, this was messy and basically had to be ripped off, even with the clips removed.

Once this was off, it revealed the boot lock mechanism bolted to the boot lid.

I used a metal pole with hook attached to remove the plastic outer cover, its very much out of reach, but with about 2 hours of trying I managed!

I then used a couple of wobble joints and 100 extensions to remove the two 10mm nuts holding the mechanism on.

Finally the boot was open!!

I then went on to try and see what had been causing the problem, and it looks like a small nut, which I guess was inside the bootlid from a spoiler fitment; had become jammed in the mechanism itself. With that removed, the boot lock replaced and lined up, Ive had perfect operation since.

But I wanted to not have to do this again should it fail, so I thought the best way to gain access would be to have access to the tiny pin which the solenoid operates, which is located behind the plastic panel within the boot.

I ended up using a step cutter to drill a 10mm hole into this plastic, which is then filled with a black grommet. The metal panel behind is already drilled for access to the pin.

Should the boot fail again, I need only remove the subwoofer, remove the grommet, and with a large screwdriver flick the pin.

Its been an absolute saga, but thank god its finally sorted!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Nightmare but congratulations on persevering and getting it sorted.

Out of curiosity, regarding the nut which caused the lock to jam, did this happen on a stock spoiler or was the spoiler changed at some stage? I'm just wondering if this can happen on a stock car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts