GTR Forum banner

Borg warner Turbo questions

14K views 57 replies 10 participants last post by  Lith 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a borg warner 8374 twin scroll turbo kit from full race and have a few questions.
1. What A/R would be recommended, I'm looking for about 730-750 fwhp.
2. What are the benifits of both internal/external wastegates?
3. I am currently running a forged 2.6 with headwork but hope to aventually move on to a rb32 build would this turbo run out of puff on the later?
4. My current turbo is a hks t51r (800ps max) and its very laggy, would one of these turbos be much more responcive or not worth the money changing?

Many thanks for your input.

#2 ·
IMO
.92 OR 1.05 for RB32 depending on power
internal = space/less lag/no extra cost for wg and bov
external = less complexity
BW/PTE are there to replace these laggy turbos, worth it yes. I'd love to have that t51r kai just for the sound! With extensive headwork you might make it spool better though.

I use PTE6466 .84 T4 divided turbo (rated 900hp), will soon tune for methanol and expect to have 700whp/550wtq. Everything on my bay is simple, hate complexity on RB engines.

G luk Dan

#4 ·
Sorry didn't write much, anyways it's there in the net.
I believe the less lag is related to the less vol pushed to spool the turbo then if you had an external wg, only minor tho. Don't want to make a fight here : )

External wg is less complex and favorable for high boost applications. Some claims external wg is better to control boost, I only used external so no experience. Issues like boost creep on int wg is gone with ex wg.. Flow pattern is better in ex wg (lower turbulence and less back pressure) In general and if you search a little you will see that external wg is better. However, you can get in touch with Full-Race regarding this subject and get better clarification and experience.

hope this helps.
Regards

#5 ·
I have a 8374 .92 IWG on my RB30 making 620hp at the wheels on 98 pump gas.
Personal, if you were going to an RB32, both the .92 and the 1.05 are going to be too small, you would be better to get a 9180 1.05
My 8374 .92 is already too small for it and is running too much backpressure from too small an exhaust housing, and I think the compressor side is border line size as well.
You can't really spec the correct turbo for both an RB26 and RB32 as they are vastly different in what is required......if you were just sticking with an RB26 I would say 8374 .92 (but you will only get about 650hp at the wheels) but if you are defiantly going to an RB32 then it would be the 9180 1.05 for the power you want

#8 ·
Yep they are good turbos :)

What fuel are you going to be running? And just to confirm, by fwhp you mean flywheel hp? I'd be going a 1.05a/r hotside if you are after that much power from an EFR8374 - its on the upper end of it's capability if you are running petrol, same goes for the PT6266.

The Borg Warners are definitely better performers than the Precisions, but that is not to say the Precisions are bad at all - definitely one of the best :)

#9 ·
Rather than opening another thread I wanted to post in this one.

I am aiming for 650-700hp

I have a Whifbitz turbo kit, just need to know what turbo I should go for which will be suitable for my goal, I don't want a turbo that will be on its limit at 650 hp, I want something that is capable of doing alot more.

I was thinking of precision, holset or a borg warner, any suggestions?

I want quick spool :)

#10 · (Edited)
* I am aiming for 650-700hp.

* don't want a turbo that will be on its limit at 650 hp, I want something that is capable of doing alot more.

* I want quick spool :)

* I have a Whifbitz turbo kit
This is all over the place, to be honest - basically gives no real info on what you have and what you want, while also saying a lot.

Things that are helpful:

* What is the maximum power you envisage needing? And do you mean whp or engine hp? 650hp as your interim target means nothing if you actually want 900hp without changing anything.

* What fuel will you be running?

* What is quick spool? Some people expect 20psi by 3500rpm in 4th gear, others are content with it by 5000rpm, depending on what comes with that. Let us know what is liveable lag for what you want - and if you'd rather compromise power or spool if it came to it.

* What flange does that turbo kit have, T3, T4 open, T4 divided, V-Band?

* What displacement engine?

* Is money a consideration?

At this stage I'd call the Precision PT6466 one of the ultimate turbos in the range you look to be aiming for - they aren't excessively laggy, they are capable of more than 650hp @ crank without straining, they aren't overly expensive for what they do and they come with a range of exhaust housing options.

#11 ·
I have to agree with lith, as your going is spool you will want the bb version but you will be paying around £1400. If you don't want to spend a lot of money go for precession journal bearing.whiffbitz claims full boost with your kit and borg warner s366 by 4000rpm Marcus has a new s366 for sale

#21 ·
I will stick to the S366 as I may want more power in future also it will mean the turbo is not running at its max capability all the time. I will drop a set of stage of stage 1 cams in there and see how she performs, Should be okay I think as the head will also be ported.

I will be happy with full boost at 4500 let's see what happens :D

#23 ·
Not this year, I'm currently out of UK working in Germany. So when I get back around august that's when I can start on it. But the engine will be done by that time and be ready to drop it, I resprayed the engine bay already too!

I will have a huge pile of parts waiting when I get home including the turbo kit, nismo lmgt1's and more! :D

#24 ·
Nice - should be a fun return home when all that happens! Somewhere around that time a mate's RB30 might hopefully be almost ready to go into his car too, running a ported head/Kelford cams and a BW Airwerks S360... aiming more for response and less for sheer power than you are but on E85 we're still hoping to see in the 750-800bhp area with a massive power delivery.

They are physically very large and awesome sounding turbos, by the way :)

#37 ·
We are testing an 8374 EWG twin scroll turbo out tomorrow on a Supra 3 litre, this is our first EFR test so hoping for some great things. Just doing some road mapping tomorrow and then on to a dyno next week. This will give you boys a good idea on what it will be like on an RB26, obviously it will be slightly laggier and wont make quite as much power as the 3 litre Supra but not far off.

I'll update soon, as we will be including the EFR an as option on our turbo kit very soon.

Thanks
Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.