GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help.

So i fitted new BOV's yesterday and completed the job today - my first attempt at any car work so took a little longer than expected.

With all trim out of the way i dsconnected the standard valves and removed them. Replaced them with new ARC BOV's all fittings and gaskets were used correctly and all piping reconnected. The recirc pip was bunged up using the supplied bung.

Started the car no idle issues, revved quite low and no dump, revved harder still no dump, revved to the limit and still no dump - only noise coming from my Apexi Filters.

So decided to put everything back together and take it for a test run. They still arent dumping but now they are making a whining noise on boost. Again all idle and other guages read fine.

The car is standard apart from the Apexi filters and and Exhaust.

Does anyone know what the issue might be or what i have done wrong. I have pics of the install if that would help?

Vinay

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
not familiar with ARC BOVs but the first thing I check is the reference vacuum hose. Then the adjustment spring, if there is one.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you have connected the two tubes, which divide from the one tube in the engine bay that is running under the plenum, correctly then I'll also say to check the spring adjustment.

A friend of mine had the same issue, not on a GTR but a push type BOV is a push type BOV, and the spring was set completely to hard.

Leo

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the updates so far. I have the two small tubes connected into the each valve into the side. The return pipe which is at the bottom of the standard one and goes from two pipes into one has been removed and the return pipe is bunged up.

These are the valves i have - ARC International Inc.IN JAPAN�bSUPER BLOW OFF VALVE�b

The only adjustment i can see is the small nut on the top but if i loosen that then it remains loose and am worries it will eventually work itself free.

Vinay

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Loosen the nut on top and unscrew the stud anticlockwise to make the pressure on the spring lower and tighen the nut again and try again ;)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Freakazoid if you are correct you're a genius, its frustrated me so far :) so any thoughts on the whining noise i am getting when on boost or is that again just down to lack of adjustment???

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Vinay,

Hope you get your BOV's working ok ! can you tell me what size the bung is that goes into the recirculating pipe as I need to make one for when I fit my HKS BOV's.

Cheers.

Baz.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Baz will measure it up when i get home tonight. Mine was a machined steel one that came with the kit and slotted in perfectly. Will upload the picsof the whole install aswell minus the part where we didnt adjust the nut :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Cheers Vinay,

That'll be a real help as that's all from stopping me fitting mine.

Glad to hear it all works ok now, lots of people say don't bother & keep the standard recirculating ones, as atmospherics mess up the idling. Also lot's of people say that they cause flames to pop from the exhaust more as the afm's chuck more fuel in to compensate for the missing air.

Cheers.

Baz:cool:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
They do not mess up idling on the RB26 when you vent to atmosphere, even with AFMs, and yes you shoot flames but that's a good thing :)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so i tried turning the threads anti clockwise and still no dumping even on the top end of the rev range. Sound of my filters is still the only thing i can hear.

I tried to push the spring with my finger and its almost impossible to move, im fresh out of ideas :(

Baz the bung is 2 inches in width and about 1.5 inches in height. Pictures as per below, you can use the existing hose clips there should be two spare.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Standard Valve disassembly

Bung inserted into Recirc pipe

One of the replacement ARC BOV's

Fitted ARC BOV's

Disassembled front end, probably didnt need to go this far but it is pretty fiddly with the bracket inbetween the two valves so im glad we took everything apart. Now where do all the screws go :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Cheers Vinay,

I know it's obvious but the springs should be able to be pushed back with your finger no problem, but the valves look like new so wouldn't be corroded or clogged with crap ?

Thanks again for taking the time sizing the blanking plug mate, I'll make one at work.

Baz.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No worries mate, its going into Power Engineering today to assess the problem. One of the threads has come out now as well and i cant get it back in as its on the back valve. Still getting the whining noise on boost as well.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Perhaps they are to be screwed in rather then out? Strange they don't work being brand new :chairshot
Keep us updated ;)

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Freakazoid i tried that as well, screwed them all the way in and again no dumping. Will update you after it gets looked over. Such a shame :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts