GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I religiously use shell v power, but over the last week none of the shell stations had any. I was forced to go elsewhere and I used bp ultimate. I found it to be really good. Low knock levels under high boost settings etc.
It's only 97RON as opposed to 99 in vpower. Can anybody explain why/how it performs well with a low octane rating?
does anybody else use it much?

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I use the tesco's good stuff all the time, mainly because I work for them but I can't tell any difference from v power except I need to fill up less.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My R34 doesn't like BP at all, engine light will flash when under load. Never had problems with V Power or Tesco's.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i keep hearing that tesco's is good espcially for the 35's but it just doesnt sound right i think we should do a poll on what fuel every1 uses to be honest

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
A simple vote would not be conclusive really as Tescos is good, but if its been sitting in their tanks for such an age, youre probably going to end up with something like 95 RON............I'm not sure whether this is the same for the Vpower but I think more people use the Vpower in general anyway, so theoretically they should have a better turnover.

I remember last year using Tesco 99 and my HKS knock amp starting bleeping for the first time ever. I have been back to tesco and havent had a problem since.

I use Vpower or tesco 99, nothing else, was a bit of a challenge up in Snowdonia!!!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Actually I think age has more of an effect on vpower not momentum as momentum relies on ethanol to increase its octaine

·
Registered
478 Posts
I was under the impression that supermarket fuels were poor quality. I only use v-power but ended up trying a tank of Tesco’s finest when everyone was panic buying and everywhere had ran out of the good stuff. The car ran fine without a problem. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
893 Posts
As you've said Tesco 99 relies on the blend of ethanol and creates sludging in the fuel system over time if not cared for. V-Power is the best statistically in RON and MON ratings and does has loads of other additives although does "go off" very quickly which is why if you get V-Power you have to buy it from a popular station that is shifting lots of V-Power to make sure its fresh. I think a poll does already exist, do a search and you may find it...

I'd say that never before has an engine needed knock sensors so much as it does now, you may be filling up with V-Power thinking that it is 99 RON when it is more like 97 or 95 and the only thing that will save your engine is your knock sensors.

4-Star was ace! :thumbsup:

James

·
Registered
478 Posts
Too young to remember 5 star mate ;) I do remember seeing 2 and 3 star on a pump when I was a kid but by the time I started using fuel it was 4 star or unleaded.
I had a mk1 MR2 that I tried on both. Although 4 star cost more I got more miles out of £20.
If you really want some quality fuel get yourself to a small airport and get avgas that's the shit! :flame:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts