GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fitted AP rotors front and Ferodo DS2500 pads all round.

The instructions for bedding in say 30 light brake applications from 55-30 with a half a mile between blocks of 5 applications. Fine.

Then for the next hundred miles increase the braking pressure but no mad stops from 70mph.

Then for the next 100 miles increase the braking effort and you can do the full power stops.

Not very practical when I'm only going to Sainsburys or the local bowling alley trailing either Nissan Micras or a sugar beet lorry.

Ideas??

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
This seems a bit extreme to bed pads in,
I usually drive normal for a couple of days, then use them like you've stole it,

Goldie

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Oh Goldie you are such an animal !!!

Do it properly or a) they will glaze, b) you could f*ck your discs and pad as they need the correct heat cycle !

I use DS2500 in my R33 BUT not the R35, why did you choose DS2500 for such a heavy car ?

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Oh and that's what the dual carriage way is for - bedding in brakes!

NOT the motorway as that could be dangerous !!

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
I had a day with APs Race Engineers and their bedding in process was to do 3 x 70-10 mph runs (very heavy braking) straight from the box, with a heat gun on the discs after each run.

Ended up watching the disks turn different colours until they were happy. In the end we did 12 runs and properly heat cycled the disks and pads.

What you probably have is a generic running in procedure which guesses that you'l be at the right temperatures for bedding in.

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts

The instructions for bedding in say 30 light brake applications from 55-30 with a half a mile between blocks of 5 applications. Fine.

Then for the next hundred miles increase the braking pressure but no mad stops from 70mph.

Then for the next 100 miles increase the braking effort and you can do the full power stops.

Not very practical when I'm only going to Sainsburys or the local bowling alley trailing either Nissan Micras or a sugar beet lorry.

Ideas??
Think I still have my instructions somewhere but they are in the garage and there aint no way I am going out there tonight !!!!:D

I do know that you should start of lightly and increase the speed and braking pressure and repeat number of applications.:blahblah:

I did manage to get the disc to glow red !!!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

Ideas??
That is the most unrealistic bed in procedure i've seen.

Most new discs need controlled heat cycling to maximise life. PFC say they don't as they are pre heat treated.

Pads need bedding in for a different reason; you need to build up a transfer layer of pad material on the disc and to heat cycle the full thickness pad material. To do that you need more severe but still controlled heat, too much will glaze the pads. Road pads don't take much effort, track pads need proper heat.

The heat you generate in bedding in will depend on the weight of the car, size of the brakes, the pad compound, cooling ducts, speed etc.

Worst case;
The discs life is shortened
The pads glaze
You get judder from an uneven transfer layer, but usually you can just re bed them.

However short of putting the discs and pads on a brake dyno to bed them in (like some big$$ race teams)you can't reproduce the exact optimum bed in procedure on the road. Just do your best.

Don't thrash the discs when they are brand new
Do go out and gradually increase the stopping power you apply and allow them to cool fully

To get the pads really working with a proper transfer layer get the brakes smoking with half a dozen heavy cycles 80-30mph with a 1/2mile cool down each time.
Don't come to a stop with your foot on the brake while bedding in the pads

If the pads are a bit racey you will find they scrape the transfer layer off the discs in daily driving anyway.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for being slow but after I do the 30 gentle applications on Sunday, then what? It would seem that I can then increase the pressure over the next 100 miles and even more over the second hundred miles.

But ,in the meantime, if I'm only driving the car for a few miles at a time and maybe not even getting up to 50mph, how does that work? Or do I have to do two more separate 30 application sessions over the next 200 miles?

Steve. I only chose DS2500s because they seemed to be rated fairly well for enthusiastic road use and I had them before albeit on a 350Z.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Sorry for being slow but after I do the 30 gentle applications on Sunday, then what? It would seem that I can then increase the pressure over the next 100 miles and even more over the second hundred miles.

But ,in the meantime, if I'm only driving the car for a few miles at a time and maybe not even getting up to 50mph, how does that work? Or do I have to do two more separate 30 application sessions over the next 200 miles?

Steve. I only chose DS2500s because they seemed to be rated fairly well for enthusiastic road use and I had them before albeit on a 350Z.
Let me know how you find them as am just about to order a full set for my AP Disks (only half worn) so will clean off disks and put new set and new fluid in.

I had also heard the DS2500 are perfect for fast road and occasional track and stop really well in every day use?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brake bedding in

Hello Roger,

Well they worked ok this morning stopping from 55mph to 30mph 30 times.:clap:

Still uncertain what to do for the next 100 miles. Will ring AP tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Any news as I need pads for Saturday for full change and fluid (using Gulf RF1000).....? Still thinking DS2500 good off my fast road, lower operating starting temp and still stop well on track at Asda Day/30-130 etc. Anyone know how they compare with Carbotech XP8s technically?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apologies for the late reply but if you haven't already got fixed up, here's how I'm finding them after just over 200 miles.

I haven't done any full on stops yet so you would have to take this into consideration.

Compared to the oems, they seem to take a bit more pedal pressure to make them work, unlike when I fitted DS2500s to my previous 350Z. Having said that, they seem progressive and efficient and I'm confident they'll be fine for what I want, which is fast road use.

Hope this helps and again, sorry for the late reply.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
Cheers for update.....still deciding but think Pagid RS29 might be best all round for fast road and Asda Day etc. just hope dealer can clean off disks as can't be doing with changing them only half worn! New battery too. Expensive this car lark!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts