GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is in a Nissan HPC at this very moment because the brakes squeal so badly it sounds like an old bus.

They have just informed me this is perfectly normal for the car and they can't do anything about it (and also they have some words from Nissan that say the same).

Is this right, or am I being sold a load of old pony ?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
just change your pads to ferodo ones I did and got cleaner wheels and no screeching at all, think my pads were ferodo 2500?

Bobby

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So are you saying that make a lot of noise with the pads that Nissan fit then ? So in which case the HPC are correct ?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The standard brake pads give a lot of brake dust off, and can squeal like a pig, you need to search out some offer pads, their are lots to choose from, all depends what you use your car for.

Bobby

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, thanks.

My car is mainly just used for tooling about really, I don't do or plan to do any track days and even on the road I don't push it that much (I just like the ability to do so, even you see what I mean).

Looks like a change of pad is the answer than. Back in my Note to collect it then.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
so the surface of the pad is glazed over and hence the noise

I good blast with heavy breaking would clear it for a while....

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so the surface of the pad is glazed over and hence the noise

I good blast with heavy breaking would clear it for a while....
That was indeed the case, but now I've done a few hundred miles I'm sure that's not the case.

So far, Nissan have told me

a) It will go away on it's own
b) It won't go away, that's what they are like because it's such a high performance/track car

And then they have produced a technical explanation about said brake noise which I suspect they have dreamed up after the event when a lot of owners have complained about it.

I might be alone here, but I'm less that happy about spending almost £50k on a car and it sounding like an old bus.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hmm, the brake squeal is normal.. But not as bad you are describing it.. How long have you owned the car for? Maybe your pads are really new and not been used much..?

Either way, mine used squeal a bit but after change of pads its gone completely :)

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, the brake squeal is normal.. But not as bad you are describing it.. How long have you owned the car for? Maybe your pads are really new and not been used much..?
I've only had it about 7 weeks, 800 miles. But is really is very bad. I don't think the pads are that new, but they hardly look worn to me.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Presumably the discs are good? Try giving them a few good hard stops i.e. 70 to 10mph 5 times in a row, then bimble around to cool them down. Stock pads do squeal a bit at low speeds.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The brakes are glazed over due to not giving them enough stick give them a hammering if it goes there's your answer if not take pads out give them a light rub down and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm on a standard set up and mainly just tool around. brakes squeal a bit during low speed manoeuvring.

then i was tempted to do a track day at abingdon airfield, fairly low level stuff but after using the brakes properly the squealing went away for 2-3 weeks. it's back but not nearly as intrusive now.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. I can see I'm going to try and stand on the brakes even harder !

·
Registered
540 Posts
Squeal from pads is normally a symptom of high performance pads. The higher the metal content, the more aggressive the compound and the more squeal. If you think std pads are bad, you wanna try something like Carbotechs or Carbone Lorraine.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Try giving them a few good hard stops i.e. 70 to 10mph 5 times in a row, then bimble around to cool them down. Stock pads do squeal a bit at low speeds.

Do this, the key being after hammering them several times stay off the brakes until they are cooled, so if you can hammer them then pull over and stop while the cool, but dont stop and stand on the brakes - you want to pad and the disc not to be in contact while they cool.

The noise will come back with town driving but from my personaly experience it's not usually too bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts