GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would like to announce that we are attending Knockhill circuit on March the 1st for testing with Keith Cowie and his R35 GTR ‘project Irn Bru’ he will be testing the New T3 design 5000 series rotors from DBA (Disc Brakes Australia) the car is approx 620-650hp tuned thanks to Jurgen @ JM Imports.
Carbon brake ducts will be fitted to the fronts allowing a little extra cooling. Otherwise the car is as it came from Nissan.

We will measure the data from the day and also be monitoring temperatures during the day as Keith tests the car on track. Keith for those who don’t know him competed in Saloon car racing and was Lydden Champion in 1992. With Skylines he was runner up in 2003 and won out right in 2005 TOTB champion in his R32 GTR. Also beat the Japanese record of 0-300KPH with a time of 12.4 seconds. 1/4 mile drag in 8.4 seconds. Its fair to say he will pushing the car on the day :)

Keith will be testing the DBA discs and also Carbone Lorraine brake pads. We chose the Carbone Lorraine brand as we have used them in both circuit and rally in the past and have excellent results. The RC8-R material is used as an endurance pad and have a trick heat dissipation feature! The backing is carefully grooved to allow extra cooling to pass through the backing reducing heat.

We will be at the track to measure the temps and monitor the outcome of this set up. Track is open from 12-4pm anyone over that way on the day call over and say hello! :)

Rich

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost forgot big thanks to Ben @ GT-C for mapping tweak at the weekend some good advice and supplying some of the parts for the 'Irn Bru' motor :thumbsup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Will try and keep out the way, should certainly notice him coming up behind me with the Irn-Bru wrap :smokin:
J

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With only a few days left before we are at Knockhill thought I should say we are all looking forward to getting down to Knockhill at the weekend and finally testing the products we are fitting. Its been a long boring Winter and be good to get back out there on track! Lets just hope it isn't raining, we can live in hope!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Hi Just a quick post to let everyone know that the testing of the new T3 design 5000 series rotors from DBA and the RC8-R Carbone Lorraine pads took everything I could chuck at them round knockhill at the weekend to try and get them to fail on the day. I was going into the hairpin at 130mph lap after lap the brakes just got better and better once up to full working temp, Rich from Clark Motorsport was braking miles before I was haha. the brake pedal did not change the from the first lap to the last lap,i think we done well over 40 laps in total,the day was not about me getting the fastest lap round knockhill as the car was set to run the 97 ron map and 1 bar boost all the time on track.

these DBA brakes are well worth looking into as they do the job well and I think they are very good value for the money.

I will let Rich and Ewen tell you all about the test as they were taking a note what the brake temps were on the day.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I tried them pads in my car, have to say I didn't like them at all, bite was poor and they rattle like mad in the rear calipers, when I took them out the pads was falling to bits, I changed to Porterfield pads and the difference was huge, miles better IMHO.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
PM sent Will :)
Me too please!!

I tried them pads in my car, have to say I didn't like them at all, bite was poor and they rattle like mad in the rear calipers, when I took them out the pads was falling to bits, I changed to Porterfield pads and the difference was huge, miles better IMHO.
The rear rattle is a standard problem... Search dinner plate rattle on here for the fix. Sly changed the pre-tension clips (I think) on mine to the new model and that fixed that.

Was bite from cold poor or even when warm?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
The rear rattle is a standard problem... Search dinner plate rattle on here for the fix. Sly changed the pre-tension clips (I think) on mine to the new model and that fixed that.

Was bite from cold poor or even when warm?
My stock pads never made any noise, neither do the Porterfield pads I have now.

I'd get a random rattle when driving along with the CL pads, and a clonk every time I went between reverse and drive, and vice versa, as if the pads was to small.

Maybe they are good on track, my car is a road car and they started break up though, when I removed them some of the edges was missing.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
My stock pads never made any noise, neither do the Porterfield pads I have now.

I'd get a random rattle when driving along with the CL pads, and a clonk every time I went between reverse and drive, and vice versa, as if the pads was to small.

Maybe they are good on track, my car is a road car and they started break up though, when I removed them some of the edges was missing.
Interesting...

Also, were the carbon ducts fitted? Were they effective?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I find it incredible this set up tested lap after lap on a track has performed so well, yet used on road so bad. Talk about about contrasting results...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts