GTR Forum banner

brake time....

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  grahamc 
#1 · (Edited)
Its time to upgrade the brakes on my 2010 GTR, but I am really struggling with which setup to go for. I am running 610bhp, 2012 suspension, ARBs, MPSS (currently squared, but will move to staggered soon). Driving is mostly road, with the odd track day and event (hoping to do more of these). Currently discs and pads have lasted nearly 22k miles, the discs have some fine cracks and the pads are breaking down as well.

Im not as abusive on my brakes as papa smurf, but I also do not want issues with vibration, heavy wearing or noise.

What is best to go for?

The PF setup seems a bit too aggressive for me. On re-reading Johns review, is it worth considering the PF discs with less aggressive pads?

Alcons well I am not sure on these, lots of people have suffered with vibration, not something I want.

APs...

DBAs???

What about 380 VS 400/405mm discs for the front? Is the slightly larger disc worthwhile?

Also need to decide on pads.......

Reading lots of threads on the subject, but nothing definitive.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have ct17 ap disks running with pagod rs29 pads - I havent used them in anger yet but reviews suggest they will be good - importantly though, no vibration, minimal sqeaking and no clicking (so far) which considering the light use of the car to date is pretty good.

The front pads will need changing soon, not sure I will streatch to pagids, possibly ferrodos or maybe the bendix trevgtr rates - but this will depend on how I get on with the car and if I start pushing the brakes a bit more

#4 ·
Fitting new discs and pads will not give vibration if you do it correctly!

Just done my own. Pay particular attention to the hub face and remove all signs of dirt, rust or anything else other than perfect hub face metal.

Fitted 400 mm Alcons and RS29's. Very very impressed.

Can hit the anchors very hard, enough to bend your face or pin you to the seat belt and zero feed back through the wheel.

Also none of that annoying noise you used to get with stupid Tarox discs and the like.

Seem to bite harder as they get hotter and next to no squeal so far.

Satan

#5 ·
I know, but in the past I have been "guaranteed" that pads and discs are suited and then 2 weeks later the pads of cooked the discs because they were too aggressive!

The Alcons also seem to have an issue with vibration.

Decided on DBA discs from ClarkMotorsport, should receive them this week and then being fitted by Sly next week. Will report back once fitted and then keep this post (and project thread) updated with ongoing results.

#8 ·
I have a European road trip coming up at the end of June including the Stelvio and Alps so I will report back also.

Standard set up did ok last time except boiling the brake fluid and ended up with a soft pedal.

Have Castrol SRF in now also, so hoping for faultless anchor performance.

We will see and I'll update upon return.

#9 ·
Hi Peter.

To be absolutely honest I can't remember exactly. I bought them 2 years ago when an opportunity came up at work and they sat in the garage until a couple of weeks ago.

My advice is to ring every supplier and haggle like a bastard till you get the best price.

Many cheaper pads available but chose the RS29's as they are supposed to be kind to the discs and built for endurance without aggressive dust wrecking the wheels.

Too early to tell but will report back upon my return.

Satan

#7 ·
Graham, I have PF discs all round with Carbotech XP10 discs all round as well. The stopping power is immense but there is some dust (mostly on the front wheels tbh) - which I believe that you will get with the Pagids as well ... I do get some squealing but I think that most of it comes from the back. It can also get a little squirmy under braking so if you don't like that it may be better to get XP10 f & XP8 r; which I think may also help with the squealing - due to not being able to get as much heat in the rears on normal road driving, it's harder to clean the brakes up so using the staggered compound will allow you to clean the rear brakes more easily due to the lower heat generation necessary for that compound.

Have a chat with Ian at Carbotech (thetyrant). I'm sure he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

#11 ·
Looks like there are differing experiences with similar setups, so you may be right re nothing definitive.
I've the same as Satan mostly - Alcon 400 fronts, stock rear rotors. On my second set of Pagids at the front. Castrol SRF fluid
Very little squeal (if any at all which is mostly the case ime). Stopping is very very good imo - very strong and progressive, no squirming. I currently haven't experienced any vibration to speak of, although maybe a trace when hot on track, but having done the last 5 track days in the p*ssing down of rain I haven't had them hot enough for some time to comment further :(
You wouldn't need any more than this setup for road under any sane driving circumstances imo.

#12 ·
I'll be needing some front discs & pads soon & i'm going for AP j-hook disc & either Pagid RS29 or DS2500 pads!
Only used for spirited fast road use.

#15 ·
I got quoted £420 I think for Pagid RS29 & the DS2500 were £200!

#16 ·
Hi Graham, I went with Iain advice as standard size Alcon disks and Cosworth Streetmaster pads. I was a little wary but deferred to the expert and they were new and bedded in two days before Euro Tour. As you could tell at no point did I crash and die....

They stopped well from 180+ on Autobahn, no noise and bloody reasonable! Perfect pad coverage and if you not tracking it (they are road pads only I believe) they have no noise and little dust.

Pretty chuffed really and proves you don't have to go down the usual route of most expensive must be the best.

#23 ·
Got the GTR on Friday late afternoon, then drove from Sly to Donnington. 2 hour drive shortly became 6 :( so not much chance to test or bed-in the brakes. Saturday at Donnington doing the Heritage Loop, short track, but fun. The brakes got used with bit of anger and have been rather good all weekend, even the slow calm drive over to my moms place.

More updates will follow....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.