GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my R33 heavily over the weekend and found that the car suffered really ( and I mean reeally ) bad brake fade.. to the point I had to upset a few driver on the roundabout by finding a gap and hoping they would stop because i couldn't, very Frightening . It has happened before but not to this degree... can any one suggest a brake upgrade that wont break ( scuse the pun) the bank... I have not yet tracked the car but if i get this sorted I will do next year so I have to take that into concideration.. but budget is a priority at the moment..

TA!

Paul J

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Fade

I'm no expert on this, but R U sure it's only the pads? The front pads on mine were very worn, and the braking was poor, but not lethal. Anyway, Abbey just put Ferodo road pads on mine and the next time I braked I had to prise my head from the windscreen.

Depends on where you are, but give Abbey a call.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Brakes

If you haven't already done so upgrade the pads to Ferodo DS2500 all round. This helps a lot.

After that it's bigger brakes I'm afraid and they aren't cheap, but worth it.

Some cooling ducts to the rotors properly made would help, but I've not seen a decent set made yet.

Guy

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pads

I think I have those Pads already.... I know about hot... the wheels on the car were hot enough to cook on :smokin: :eek:

and the discs were glowing with the heat .. and it all smelt burnt... the passengers were not happy either...:D

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
If they're getting as hot as you make out and fading then could be the fluid boiling.

Sorry, that was meant as a question:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Paul.

Looks as though your boiling the brake fluid try Castrol SRF brake fluid, the Ferodo DS 2500 have been the best suited pads for the standard rotors I’ve used so far.

I’ve been looking into replacing my rotors with these:
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/com/en/ate/ate/themes/products/power_disc_en.html

So far as I can tell the standard braking systems on Skyline R33 and R34 GT-R’s are the same as those fitted to some of the larger BMW’s i.e. 740, 750,840,and 850 certainly the pads are.

As soon as I get around to it I’ll take an original rotor to a local ATE dealer and let everyone know how I get along.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brake

Thanks, I must admit it is worrying not knowing if I can stop the car or not..

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
you must have been really pressing on to get fade on a road.:eek:

It took about 15 minutes on a track to get mine to go. when std.

I use dot 5 fluid, looking for SRF at a reasonable price. and DS2500 pads on the fronts std on the rear at Abbey's advise.

hope you get it sorted.

Steve

·
Registered
404 Posts
KAD kit

Dean,

How much does the KAD kit cost?

Paul.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I (along with half the board I suspect) have the AP 6 pot kit - excellent with DS2500... And little more than the KAD kit and other lesser known products (not saying they are bad, just the AP one is well known, and pads/discs are available from the usual sources)...

·
Registered
362 Posts
brand names

KAD use AP racing rotors they have just made the caliper lighter and stronger, the bell is suplied by kad as well and they are also lighter and stronger than AP, so i agree if your a brand buyer and not spec minded there good and lets face it they still stop you quick :)

im not a rich man and wanted value for money and the AP was a little old in the tooth in the caliper dept, and havent changed much in years, so wanted to try something lighter....

as for cost e-mail them and get there latest prices

http://www.kad-uk.com/contacts.htm

Dean:smokin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts