GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from Italy.
As mentioned on the other brake related topic I posted a month or so back I was considering upgrading to bigger discs for my R34.
I went to see what TarOx and Brembo had on offer and was very impressed by what I saw.
To start off with TarOx....I was stunned by the 10 pots and the quality in which they are constructed at the small company. They have quite a lot of experience(even in F1...starting off in the early 80s) and seem to know what they are doing. I was also told that in the next year or so a ceramic disc will be released which will be similar in construction to the Porsche and MBenz items. Very nice:)

Brembo also have very good products and as everybody knows have loads of experience on everything to do with brakes. What really got my attention was the news that a carbon disc and caliper set will be released in the very near future...which will be perfect for sport car applications both for on and off the track. I think this might make its debut sometime after the new Ferrari F60 will be released sometime next year. Very very nice:) :D

It looks like I will have quite a lot of choice when I take my GTR back to europe next year!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
any mention of a price with those ceramic discs ?

or are they going to be suitably stratospheric such as "if you're asking you can't afford!" lol

did you get any pics of the brake setups whilst you were there ? I've seen their big ass setup advertised for Z's and keep thinking about it

.. up until I found I could get a near wholesale price for Brembo "F40" Calipers, now someone in Aussie has come up with a good price on AP's.. choices.. chocies...

Cheers for the info :)

Rowan
600plus.com

·
Banned
349 Posts
I totally agree with Guy.

I've passengered round Silverstone in a well driven F40 that boiled it's fluid. Remember the F40 brakes are 1990 technology.

I will be putting the AP Garden rollers on my car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
oops... should mentioned they're for my Z

well they're for my TTZ which is the (lighter) (but not by much) 2 seater. Don't know how it compares to a GT-R weight.

I don't want to go too nuts on the Z cause ultimately I'll be getting an R33 GT-R.. although everytime I look at an R34 .. well.. I keep wanting an R34. Unfortunately I don't live in the land of big IPO's so that will be aways off :(

Back to the brakes. For my budget I'm after either the AP 4pots or Brembo 'F40' 4 pots. I really can't justify spending 2x-3x that for doing a couple of extra laps at the racetrack. I've run ELF HTX 114 even on the stock brakes and turned Metal Matrix Pads to glowing bricks and f**ked the rotors permanently, but the fluid never gave up (after my first outing where the fluid gave up at 80mph out from a 40mph hairpin.. slowing down from 140mph.. oh dear!)

All I have to decide on is the caliper, the disks are going to be the big 330mm DBA's which as about as big as I can get under my 17in rims - I still want to retain 17'ers coz I want to use A032R rubber which is not to my knowledge avaliable in 18in. And I can get the caliper supports/adapters machined easily as I have access to 2x CNC dudes.. so between them I can sort that bit out. Some kit prices are just waaaayyyy over the top!

Rowan
600plus.com

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there,

Sorry no pics unfortunately:rolleyes:

I totally agree with Guy and jamie m. First of all the GTR is a heavy machine and big diameter is the way to go. The F40 brakes are over 10 years old in development and are a "previous-generetion" system. APs seem to be the best out there folowed by Alcon and TarOx. Others to think of are project miu from Japan, which seem to be selling very well here....but have no idea of their performance range.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
do a deal.

Rowan,

I dare say you have already thought about it but why not make someone an offer who has upgraded their GT-R brakes to 6 or 10 pots and buy their 4 pot brembos off of them......

I am not sure if your "Z" already has these or not...

just my 2p worth

/Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fraser??? are you reading this...

SteveC - The only person I personally know with a GT-R is Fraser - Canman - so I reckon if I work on him enough (read nag incesantly) he might sell me his current brakes, but I dare say that they'll be more $$ than the AP's/Brembo's I'm looking again (hark back to comment that I'll be making the setup myself) and I don't think they'll fit under my rims :(

Still God likes a tryer, so Fraser... whaddya reckon ?

Heheh

Rowan

·
Registered
404 Posts
Break point

The weaknesses in the Skyline breaks seems to me are the rotors/disks and the hoses. :(

I’ve heard that some people have had repeated warped disks. :(

My own experience however, has been boiled break fluid and resulting vapor lock. I’ve changed the pads and so far have been a lot better, :) but they still fade under extreme usage. :(

My next upgrade will be to try new braded hoses. :)

Has anyone tried the Footwork disks? :confused:

Regards Paul.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea....go on Fraser why not go the whole way and give your Brembos to Rowan.....:D :D :D

Still looking for that bloody Top Secret leaflet!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Whats this ?? Group peer pressure !! :)

Well it's certainly on the cards. I do want to upgrade my brakes at some point, I'm sure we'll be able to come to some arrangement Rowan........I'm not sure on what approach I'm going to take but DCD's looking into some rotors used on the F50 for me to use, then it's just a matter of calipers to choose.

Anyhow I'll bear it in mind. It makes it easier for me to justify my new setup to the wife when I can get rid of my current units !! :)

Cheers for now

Fraser

·
Registered
32 Posts
everyone wins!

Fraser.. sounds like a plan m8. But I thought you were well passed the running past it the MFAC (Mrs Fraser Approval Committee). Still if me buying your brakes is what it will take, well I'm sure a deal can be struck :) I'm dissappearing off to the states for October I think so who knows what I'll bring back after then, but prolly wont look at them before.

Theres no technical reason from stopping me using 330mm rotors under those calipers ? As I'll still get the DBA Slotted & Cross Drilled ones which I think I can get for $600ea with hats.

Afterwork this arvo I walked upto the car imagining what they'd look like under the alloys. Oh dear :rolleyes:

Rowan

·
Registered
272 Posts
Rowan I have to do something with my brakes soon as well as they only last a few laps of Taupo . I wouldnt mind having a close look at your car when it gets on the road , there are a few things that I think I could see myself "needing" after looking at your car .
Brenhan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
zs

Brenhan.. these brakes are for the Rocketship - my daily driver, not the TD06 monster (as I don't personally own it).

I'm in the process of getting an engine sorted for the rocketship, along with the brakes which means I can get back out on Pukekohe again. Goal is to do half a dozen track days in it over summer so I'm prepping for it now.

On the TD06er, we're temporarily using an R33 brake setup as the owner of the TD06er had a setup kicking around, once its ready for some legwork at puke then we'll be upgrading the brakes again on that one to a bigger 6pot system of some description. Maybe even a Wilwood Superlite caliper setup given the low miles it will be doing.

If the Brembo Caliper mounting system on the R34 is the same as the F40 then I'll get a couple of sets of mounting adapters made up for people like yourself as they wont be costing an arm and a leg to make (call up CNC program, put metal in, press go button, come back later with a new part..)

You're more than welcome to have a look at either setup once they're finished.

Rowan
600plus.com

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ok in that case I want to see both cars :) send me an email next time you are going to be at pukekohe , I live about 5 minutes from the track . Brenhan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts