GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed that every time I move the car off the drive after it's been sitting for a while (say overnight) the pads seem to have 'stuck' on to the discs and prevent the car from moving until a bit of a clonk and the wheels break free of the binding.
Is this usual? I just have visions of the disc ripping the material off the pad?

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have the same issue mate, my car sits on the road, no garage for me unfortunately :bawling:

It's quite tough to get it free as it makes quite a clunk and the wife looks at me odd like the car has something seriously wrong with it but I agree with you, seems to be the brakes just stuck on.

Not noticed anything unusual when driving so I assume its completely fine.

H

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
It's normal and is down to the wet weather and the high iron content of the pads.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is it front and back? Most cars I've owned if I leave it for a couple of Days after it's been washed the back lock on (handbrake I think) so I normally try and remember just to dry them off (quick spin round the block) if I'm not going anywhere for a couple of Days so might just be this time of year bit of moisture making them stick (freeze)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Are the RS29's better than the RS9-2's in that respect? I notice quite a lot of iron deposited on my discs when car has been sat for a few days. Not that im bothered, just curious.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's normal and is down to the wet weather and the high iron content of the pads.
+ 1 yes it's the water on the discs just make sure you have dried them before you park up for along time otherwise they will jam on.

Bobby

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only seems to happen if I've driven it in the rain and parked up. Mainly notice it on the fronts.
Have noticed that the the rears squeak momentarily as I pull away in traffic after I've had the handbrake on (worse if the car is pointing downhill?!).
Looking at the invoices, the pads and discs were replaced about 8k miles ago? The only place I've given them any abuse is at the CAT drivers training day late last year, where I was awarded a prize for being the best at threshold braking that day (so they must have been ok then)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Mine used to do it all the time with stock brakes and pads, could be quite disconcerting, so I'd even always try and dry the brakes off after I'd washed it, even garaged after DD type use (probably damp/wet wheels to start with though).
I haven't noticed it at all with Pagid RS29's. There is a difference, either in my MO between using the car previously and now, but tangible ime nonetheless

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Mine's always done the same, but what I do now is wiggle the steering before switching off and it seems to push the pads a tiny bit away from the discs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just took mine out for first time in about 3 weeks, they were stuck aswell.

Part way through my drive had some vibration, pressed the brake pedal and it was worse!
Put it down to standing for a while so pulled over and pumped the brake pedal and all is fine now...lesson learnt don't leave her standing too long!

Si

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Same with me always has been. If drive is on a slope make sure you release the brakes after putting in park or the car will be sat in 'hill start' mode which automatically kicks in when on an angle (hence the downhill squeaks). the car should 'lurch' forward down being held on gearbox not brakes.

Mine locked on so badly once that I had to take it to 3,500 RPM to get them to break free......at 6AM, exhausts pointing at metal garage door with no downpipes. My neighbours flipping adored me ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts