GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Ok, I need some advice. Having recently taken my R32 around Rockingham, promptly cooking the breaks on two seperate runs, it became apparent that the stock R32 brakes (albeit combined with brand new Endless pads) just aren't up to the job on the track. Whilst I ultimately want a big brake upgrade, at present this is financially impossible, so can anybody recommend any good quality, low cost alternatives that can see me through for a while? Would simply fitting bigger disks make an appreciable difference?

Secondly, living in south east London, I have the joy of being surrounded by roads that contain the most speed bumps and pot holes in the world. The suspension as it is is, quite frankly, bloody hard. The R32 crashes and bangs around to the point where if I go to buy some eggs, I get home to find an omlet in the boot! My wife, normally pretty good with my love of sports cars, says she hates this car, and it's purely because of the ride. As I want to be able to use this car on the track as well as on the road, I need a solution for both. From what I can see the Tein Super Street is the best option, but it isn't cheap. Again, is there anything I can do in the short term to alleviate the problem, or is fully adjustable suspension my only option?

Any advice would be great guys and gals.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would suggest you get a set of R33 or R34 GTR brembos, will be a good starting point, also get some slotted disks followed by a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads. Front and rear brembos go for around 600 quid and another 300-400 for a set of disks. ad to that some fresh castrol responce super 4.1 fluid and you should have a good break setup.

Suspension with go for the Tein Flex, and you can specify spring rates of your choice, ie 5kg at the front and 4k at the rear should be ok for bad roads while maintaning good handling.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
R34 Brembos have larger mounting bolts, meaning they wont bolt on to an R32 without a bit of drilling. R33 ones bolt straight on and as far as I know both sets are exactly the same.

R33 Brembos / decent pads / good brake fluid will be the best you can do without shelling out mega bucks on a big brake kit. Also bear in mind that you'll probably need 18" wheels to fit anything useful, which adds to the cost again!!!

I would suggest not braking so hard, lol :clap:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Your "cheapest" option would be to upgrade to DBA4000 discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads on the std calipers and to replace your coilovers with std suspension with uprated anti-roll bars, selling your coilovers to recoup some cash...

Cheers :)

Rog

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great, thanks guys.

Are the R33 brembos significantly better than the R32 one, and if so, why? I am currently running with a set of Rays wheels, although I think they are 17"s not 18"s. Will that be a problem?

Lastly, Admiral, when you say "replace your coilovers with std suspension with uprated anti-roll bars", could you give me some product examples? Bit of a newbie to this stuff i'm afraid, and not entriely up to speed with the terminology, but if i can see a picture on the Web, it will give me a good idea.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
R33 brakes are Brembo calipers as opposed to Nissan ones, and 330mm rotors as opposed to just under 300mm ones. They fit under 17" wheels (std R33 wheels are 17") but anything much bigger and you'll need 18s

·
Registered
630 Posts
As Pikey says, the R33 rotors are a larger diameter and the calipers allow for bigger pads, therefore both the retarding torque (larger disc diameter) and the surface area are better on the R33 set up...

BUT... using decent discs, pads and brake fluid may be enough for your uses...

The DBA UK importers are Wallace Performance on 01224 708 444 - ask for Russ and say I sent you and he'll do you a good deal on a DBA disc / Ferodo pad combo... http://www.dba-europe.net/ and http://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_home/

As for the std suspension - see here http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=57963 for some pictures; try Whiteline UK http://www.whitelineautomotive.co.uk/ for advice re anti-roll bars - they might recommend rear only or front & rear...

Rog

·
Registered
319 Posts
R32 setup even with uprated disks and pads is not at all up to heavy useage. A mate of mine warped his R32 with DBA 4000 and endless ccx pads in no time. A smaller disk will generate more heat.

Go for the Brembo upgrade and the R32 being a lighter car than the R33/34 it will work very well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which DBA disks are the ones to go for? The 4000xs, 40006x6, or even the 5000?

Are these disks renowned for being good or are they renowned for being cheap?

·
Registered
630 Posts
For the GTR32 the 4000s are the best bet - they are single piece discs, though, and as mentioned are relatively small for the weight of the car, so will be fine for fast road use, or light track use only...

For the R33 set-up I'd suggest the 5000s - they are two piece, so much better able to withstand moderate track use - this is what I use, with 4000s on the rear (currently on DS3000 pads all round, which last very well, but eat the discs - am going back to DS2500s next).

For heavy track use, you really need the full big-brake upgrades available from AP, Stoptech, Alcon, Brembo etc IMO...

Rog

·
Registered
373 Posts
i use DBA 4000xs with porterfield carbon kevlar race pads, a good combo with the right fluid, the pads are very dusty but wear very well, the only down side is keeping the rims clean

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess i'll probably be doing 5-6 track days a year, which isn't s huge amount, but enough to warrant a decent investment. I'm starting to wonder now if spending cira £1000 now might be a poor investment if I will only need to go for the big brake option further down the line.

·
Registered
373 Posts
callumGTR said:
i use DBA 4000xs with porterfield carbon kevlar race pads, a good combo with the right fluid, the pads are very dusty but wear very well, the only down side is keeping the rims clean
:popcorn: cost is around £800 pads + discs all round, if your after big brake kits KADS are a very good upgrade 330mm 2 piece to fit 17" rims around £1400 for the front kit, if you fit the DBA slotted rear discs & porterfield pads your be looking at around £1800-£2000, the pads cost about £200 for a full set but well worth the money, stay away from red stuff pads i found they faded really bad under heavy braking & at £189 a set not good value when you can buy a much better compound for just a little more coin:blahblah: , hope ths helps:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Brembo F50 conversions are around £1600 depending on wher eyou buy it from.

My suggestion is buy some R33 GTR brembos,(will give som much better bite than the crappy Sumitomo Nissan calipers), disks and fit some DS2500 pads and fresh quality fluid! you looking about 8-900 quid all in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are some GTR Brembos on ebay at the moment, but they don't have the bolts. Are these easy to come by?

Also, what price should I be looking to pay? Apprently they are in good condition apart from a bit of lacquer peeling off. The car they come from has done 62K miles.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I wouldnt let bolts worry you, put a bid in for them and fit them to yor car!! expect to pay 600-700 for a set of calipers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Out of curiosity, how much difference do the rear brakes make to the overall breaking performance of the car?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts