GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

A small introduction...
I had my front discs heavily cracked (2nd OEM set, car has near 50.000 km or ca 30.000 miles)...
Rear discs are still the first set..."tooth" or "edge" is really noticable but no cracks...rear pads are ca 0,5-0,6 cm thick...I wanted to change them next season cause I will not drive my car during winter at all so thought they will last till next spring...
So as last couple of 1000 kms I had horrible whining and some vibration while braking from higher speeds, I replaced my front discs and pads with Performance Friction set 3 weeks ago...
I thought that everything was fine now but yesterday I went on a longer trip and after harder braking from higher speeds, whining is still there...
Can it be that the problem is actually in rear discs?
I cannot detect where exactliy it's coming from, but it seems (at least I am trying to convince myelf) that it's more from rear...
Can it be that before, both fronts and rears were whining and vibrating and now the problem remained only on the rears...?
And something else, when I brake hard, I feel some vibration on the steering wheel when braking at low speeds (after I had hard braking and the discs are probably hot)...I don't know how to explain this, but let's say, it happens when the pedal is not fully pressed, after some hard braking...this definitely comes from the fronts though... new Performance Friction...:mad::flame:
Thanx for any suggestion

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I've never heard of whining brakes, do you mean it's a squeeling/screaching sound?

Did the new fronts come mounted on their own bells/hats, or did you reuse existing bells?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've never heard of whining brakes, do you mean it's a squeeling/screaching sound?

Did the new fronts come mounted on their own bells/hats, or did you reuse existing bells?
Whining is maybe not the right word...
I is not squealing at really low speeds,I know that this is normal. The issue with hard braking at higher speeds is like judder, buzzing or droning... With some slight vibration. When the brakes get hot, it starts... I guess it might be from rears now, as they have ca 50.000 km...
And the other issue is let's say not important for now :squintdan
I got the bells/hats with the PF discs, mounted...so I didn't have to reuse the old ones

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Knackered wheel bearings can make a droney noise, sounds like that might be worth looking at, if you can jack up a corner at a time and hold the tyre top and bottom and push/pull hard to see if there's any play/wobble.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, don't think so, it definitely happens only while braking and it has to do something with the brakes...
Googled it a bit and it might be wrped discs (rear ones), or the fornt ones were not bed in correctly (I gave my best to bed them in correctly so I hope it isn't the case).
Will probably replace the rears too and I will see then...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts