GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To fit N1 and std pumps where the gear diameter is 77mm.

As I am chasing rpm's, I need another solution. Made from steel billet and stronger than the sintered gears (bonded metal flakes) found in the normal N1and OE Nissan pump.

£230 posted

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tomei is not spline drive from the crank, still same issues and can break. Plus I don't want to go the route of a large sump as the Tomei pump will deplete the std sump very fast.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
if you are chasing high rpm you may be better with a better oil pump than an N1

most consider tomei-jun-trust etc a worthwhile firment if you will be revving it a lot with an uprated sump or accusump .

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
i don't see any reason to use an n1, either stock for a road car at upto say 500 hp tops and no drag racing/circuit racing or extended sump and tomei/jun pump and drag/circuit as much as you like.

but defo do not ever fit an uprated oil pump to a stock sump, i have seen the aftermath in my own motor spun all the bearings and scrap crank and rods, the jun pump was mint and went again just with an extended sump.

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i don't see any reason to use an n1, either stock for a road car at upto say 500 hp tops and no drag racing/circuit racing or extended sump and tomei/jun pump and drag/circuit as much as you like.

but defo do not ever fit an uprated oil pump to a stock sump, i have seen the aftermath in my own motor spun all the bearings and scrap crank and rods, the jun pump was mint and went again just with an extended sump.
The problem is not the N1 pump, the whole design is flawed. Tomei and Jun will break sooner or later his you hit the limiter or bounce on it. You cannot have no clearance like some people have mentioned on the various other forums because the crank harmonics will shatter the gear this way also.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
The problem is not the N1 pump, the whole design is flawed. Tomei and Jun will break sooner or later his you hit the limiter or bounce on it. You cannot have no clearance like some people have mentioned on the various other forums because the crank harmonics will shatter the gear this way also.
my motor did 20k+miles and is still going strong with a jun pump and trust sump extension running upto 8700 rpm and over 700 hp, imo buy a decent pump and trust sump and direct your thoughts to elsewhere in the build.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I guess the only solution is to have a spline drive fitted and a custom oil pump, similar to the supra 2JZ crank + oilpump.

Or a dry sump but that would cost alot.

Im running a N1 pump and haven't had any issues with it as yet, I do plan on upgrading in the future and Tomei pump with an extended sump will be my choice

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing wrong with an N1 pump or even the Reimax gears, but when you are looking to push the level further that's when you start needing to look at alternatives.

An extended sump and Jun pump is not the answer to my needs, as this can easily fail too.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Nothing wrong with an N1 pump or even the Reimax gears, but when you are looking to push the level further that's when you start needing to look at alternatives.

An extended sump and Jun pump is not the answer to my needs, as this can easily fail too.
I understand as an engineering point of view nothing is ever perfect nor 100% even in aviation.

I remember reading about Rob from RIPS saying he uses the Tomei pump and revs his car past 9000rpm and hasn't had a problem.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I understand as an engineering point of view nothing is ever perfect nor 100% even in aviation.

I remember reading about Rob from RIPS saying he uses the Tomei pump and revs his car past 9000rpm and hasn't had a problem.
I am sure I ready the tomie pump uses a 2JZ set of gears so is effectively spline drive

·
Registered
9,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Rob at Rips talks about using stock pistons crank and rods to 1000 bhp and it all works fine for him lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts