GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this could potentially be a really silly question but I'm gonna ask anyways lol.

I'm in need of some new discs/pads for my R32 GTR, it was fitted with Brembo brakes prior to me owning it, I'm in the motor trade so get heavy discounts with various suppliers but I don't know if I have R34 brembos or 350z brembos (if there is actually difference lol)

I managed to get some pretty bad pictures in the hope that one of you might be able to help identify what brakes I have.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers Graham

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
As a rule of thumb the R32/33 and early R34 Brembos are not gold.

The late R34 and 350Z Brembos are gold.

Front 350Z Brembos have different offsets than R34. It might be that with the 350z caliper and disc you'd be OK but that isn't certain (unless someone else can pipe up). So chances are they are R34 (late model) or have been repainted.

The rears are unlikely to be 350z. The handbrake basket on the 350z is bigger so the disk would need a collar inside it (or I suppose the handbrake mechanism could have been swapped). However easy thing to check is the disc diameter. Early model R34 and R32/33 rear discs are 300mm late R34 and 350z are 322mm (ish I forget exactly).

If the rear disks are 300mm the it would suggest that the calipers have just been repainted. If not the most likely they are late model R34. Good luck finding repalcement disks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
We can supply you the DBA T3 4000 slotted series rotors 324mm to suit the Brembo set up for R32/33/34 GTR @ £311 Inc vat and delivery.

Pads, for street use I recommend Ferodo DS2500 or the Hawk HPS or Performance Ceramic compound.

All in stock

Rich

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a rule of thumb the R32/33 and early R34 Brembos are not gold.

The late R34 and 350Z Brembos are gold.

Front 350Z Brembos have different offsets than R34. It might be that with the 350z caliper and disc you'd be OK but that isn't certain (unless someone else can pipe up). So chances are they are R34 (late model) or have been repainted.

The rears are unlikely to be 350z. The handbrake basket on the 350z is bigger so the disk would need a collar inside it (or I suppose the handbrake mechanism could have been swapped). However easy thing to check is the disc diameter. Early model R34 and R32/33 rear discs are 300mm late R34 and 350z are 322mm (ish I forget exactly).

If the rear disks are 300mm the it would suggest that the calipers have just been repainted. If not the most likely they are late model R34. Good luck finding repalcement disks!
Really helpful info there mate thank you, I'm in agreement with you on the late r34 brakes, there's no evidence of them being painted at all.

I'll have a measure to confirm but it looks as though they're r34 brembos, what age did the "later" r34 brakes start?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think the discs you need are 324mm from the GTR setup and fit straight on.

Seen a fair few R34 GTR's in my time, none with black Brembo calipers even on trips to Japan so that is new one on me! Fairly straight forward I would say :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Seen a fair few R34 GTR's in my time, none with black Brembo calipers even on trips to Japan so that is new one on me! Fairly straight forward I would say :)
Ok mate thank you, that price above, is that per disc, per pair or a full set?

Cheers graham

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts

You may well be right. I know from looking at brake catalogues that the rear diameter changed and I read that the gold Brembos were the later ones. As I don't have an R34.....

I have a feeling the change over date was '01 but it would be best to check before you buy anything.

To add might be worth looking for two piece front disks. Based upon the experience in my thread youcould save a couple of kilos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts