GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Evo #95. Mail, page 65.

The 997 Turbo was not the first petrol-engined production car to use variable geometry turbo technology [evo 093]. I love 911s but I have seen Porsche claim things like this before and it's just the usual marketing department hype getting in the way of the facts. The 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT [Variable Nozzle Turbo] was the first to introduce this technology and had a production run of 500 cars.
The main issues with VGT/VNT have always been cost and reliability, hence the lack of interest from normal production manufacturers. Porsche is not breaking any new ground with it's design, it's just throwing more money at it.
Also, the electronically controlled clutch managing the distribution of the torque between the front and rear axle is nothing new either - the Nissan Skyline GT-R was doing that in 1989, using g sensors to determine how much torque to move to the front wheels. The brilliant Porsche 959's PSK system [which used sensors and a computer controlled multi-plate clutch] was not used on 911 Turbos, with Porsche preferring to use the simpler [cheaper] viscous-coupling design. Something of a cop out considering Nissan could manage it in between building Sunnys!

Brian Cassidy

Someone off here perhaps? :clap:

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Yes it is true what "I" said about the Shelby VNT, a lot of manufacturers make claims about being the first to things that are total bull like Audi with 4wd etc ( Jensen beat them to that a LONG time before them and had a much better system also but more expensive).

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
GTRSTILL said:
Ladies ladies....

Did one of you drop your lipstick at the starting line...
Don't get that one - what that got to do about the first VNT?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You have me baffled here. I don't understand your post - no one was doing any whining about anything - can someone explain what he is on about ???.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You shouldn't be smoking grass at school son.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
GTRSTILL,
I highly recomend you make your posts count, please do not post any more irrelevant spam. :banned:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Apologies to all... I forgot what I was going on about...and then decided to post c**p up...

Seriously though I appreciate the young comment... I wish I was young.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
GTRSTILL said:
Seriously though I appreciate the young comment... I wish I was young.
I wish I was young too lol!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts