GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I've done enough miles on the Bridgestones to have formed some opinion on them.

My front Dunlops were discarded after 5000 miles as the outer shoulders had worn due to quite a few track days, despite being on maximum negative camber since the optimisation service.

They were nowhere near down to the canvas, like most of my tyres end up, but enough so that they had zero bite on turn-in, especially in the wet.
The annoying thing is that most of the width had plenty of tread left, as did the rears.

But with a return trip to the Nurburgring booked and the car due to go in for service anyway, I decided to buy a set of Bridgestones from Camskill (£1117 inc VAT and delivery) and get them delivered to Middlehurst in time for them to fit them.

The 'Ring was predictably damp and slippery and the Bridgestones had very little grip, probably no more than the Dunlops. BUT they were slightly more progressive, i.e. less "snappy" than the Dunlops when they did let go.

As I've done more miles in them, particularly in foul weather, I have learned to relax and enjoy them.
They have about the same level of grip as the Dunlops in the wet, but are much friendlier on the limit, you can lean on them in corners and not have a heart attack when they start to slide.

I still haven't had a chance to do a dry track day on them yet, but all reports are that they have noticeably less outright grip and my dry road experience backs this up.

However this brings up an important point, which set is more fun?
Well at the risk of making Steve's day, I think the Bridgestones make the car more fun as there is still great feel and grip, but a lower overall limit and easily controlled slip once past it.

When you factor in their much lower price, greater availability and much better wear rate (Simon Croft has always said they will outlast the Dunlops by a factor of three) the Bridgestones make a compelling case for themselves.

But if you want the ultimate in dry grip and lap times, then the Dunlops are still king (and by all accounts even better overall than the Toyo R888s, although I would like to try that for myself).

Hopefully this review will help those of you who are weighing up which brand to go for next.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Great stuff David, a well timed review! Gonna need some new rubber in around 1k or maybe less!

Hopefully as more of us start changing our worn out Dunlops, we'll really see how much different they are.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Great stuff David, a well timed review! Gonna need some new rubber in around 1k or maybe less!

Hopefully as more of us start changing our worn out Dunlops, we'll really see how much different they are.
pre Anglesey?

let's face it, it's bound to be dry:runaway:

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
pre Anglesey?

let's face it, it's bound to be dry:runaway:
Dry shhmmy!

Nope, I'm gonna wait until after Anglesey then change them.

I'm getting some tram-lining which has to be the worn inner shoulders, but there's still tread left elsewhere. I'm gonna spank them at the track then have MH fit some new Bridgies the week after.

Tidy! :p

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
The 'Ring was predictably damp and slippery and the Bridgestones had very little grip, probably no more than the Dunlops.

My experience at Anglesey in heavy rain was the Bridgestones had at least similar levels of grip to the Dunlops if not slightly more...They do seem down on grip first thing in the morning in the cold weather though. Still a very good tyre though.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Paul and David, what tyre would you prefer, if cost was no object?

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Paul and David, what tyre would you prefer, if cost was no object?
I think its a fairly tough call for fast road driving. I think the Bridgestones are very similar in performance in damp and wet conditions on the road so these are the logical choice for November to April. However once its dry again I think the Dunlops would be the better bet.
The Dunlops do seem to have more outright grip in the dry on the track but by a fairly marginal amount.
Both tyres are very good IMO. If the Bridgestones really last 2 or 3 times longer than the Dunlops then its pretty difficult to justify the Dunlops at £400 more for a set.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
The Dunlops are far better in every weather,dry,rain....they have far more grip then the Bridgestones..but for a daily driver they are a very good,a lot cheaper....

With the dunlops the car is a lot more stable under braking and out of the corner acceleration,when having stock horsepower its not so much difference,but with more power the Bridgestones can´t keep up with the Dunlops...

Having done various trackdays at Hockenheim on the Bridgestones and then changed to the Dunlops,the car was much better everywhere...and quicker too:chuckle:

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Dry shhmmy!

Nope, I'm gonna wait until after Anglesey then change them.

I'm getting some tram-lining which has to be the worn inner shoulders, but there's still tread left elsewhere. I'm gonna spank them at the track then have MH fit some new Bridgies the week after.

Tidy! :p
I'll be getting to the end of my tyres by then too.

Wonder how she will handle?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
I've found the part worn tyres absolutely fine at speed and under cornering, just tram lines when in a straight line at lower speeds (say 30 ish).

Also depends upon the road surface too me thinks.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Well at the risk of making Steve's day said:
Ah, what did I tell you !! But seriously, thank you David for the important info, better go grab me some more Bridgestones while they are still available as everybody will now wanta set ! LOL

Mind you also want to try the Toyos, but I know what they are like on the R33. In the dry fantastic, in the wet bloody lethal !

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE!

Hmm. Looks like Simon Croft sold me a dummy on the "Bridgestones last three times longer than the Dunlops" line!

Significantly, the rears are borderline too.

3000 miles, only 1 wet Nurburgring track day, 1 wet RAF Odiham day and a VMax event (hardly any cornering).

So in the absence of any UK available Toyo R888s, it looks like I need a new pair of Dunlops to go with the part worn rears currently residing in my garage...

·
Registered
570 Posts
tyre vandal

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guilty as charged! :D

But seriously, that is a lot of wear for 3000 miles driven mostly in the wet (and snow).

The Dunlops fared better, with the rears still usable after 5000 miles and the fronts were in better shape than these!
They also endured two Nurburgring outings, Castle Combe and a couple of Bedford Autodrome days.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Rule number one

NEVER BELEIVE A SALESMAN!!!

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rule number one

NEVER BELEIVE A SALESMAN!!!
So you're agreeing with me then, given that their wear appears to actually be worse than the Dunlops, the Bridgestones are clearly the massively inferior tyre?

Because that is what I'm changing my official Yu Review to! :D

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
LOL

Nope not saying that at all, tyres like brakes are worn according to your right foot (unless left foot braking LOL) and I think you have a heavy right foot

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not heavy, it's big-boned. :D

The point is, the Dunlops lasted longer which negates the Bridgestones' only apparent advantage, their price.

Dunlop wins.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts