GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of year again ... 2nd Saturday of September - and therefore the annual Brighton Speed Trials event.

I'm afraid it's a "come and watch" only event - unless you've been lucky enough to get a car entered already. It's completely free to watch from the top public footpath, and is normally around £10 to get in to the paddock and the lower / closer viewing areas.

A fantastic day normally (especially if the weather is kind and stays dry). Some top motors / bikes.

I've just got a list of competitors and here are the ones of interest :

PHILLIP BIFFEN NISSAN SKYLINE GTR 32
DAVID HOLLAND NISSAN SKYLINE R34
GARY PASSINGHAM NISSAN SKYLINE GTR 33
GARY PASSINGHAM NISSAN SKYLINE GTST

So it looks like John's car will be running - which I'm looking forward to seeing again.

Some non-Skylines of interest :

ROBERT ORAM FERRARI F 40
TOBY FROST FERRARI F 50
JOE EAGLE FERRARI 430 SPYDER

There are also several turbo Hayabusa's competing along with many other nutty bikes !

I'll try and report back on Saturday evening how the Skylines get on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
if this was in a few weeks, i might be able to have gone because my college is in Lewes which is about half hour from brighton - ah well

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It will also be interesting to see what the "Xtrac" man turns up with this year.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
May be worth a trip down if I've not got to much work to do.

Whats the parking like down there Daz? Been years since I've been to brighton.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alex - there are a few NCP car parks around ... If I drive to Brighton I always park in one of those (as they have security in some of them). It will be very busy though ... I'd certainly recommend coming down early.

It's only 15 miles away for me so I generally jump on the train and walk the last bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Daz
if I get the CSL I will pop down for sure as its a real treat down there and you can get real close to the action!!

agreed with ATCO on what Mike turns up? hope it is the mk3 and the puma AND sth else crazy!!

NW

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
What sort of early are we talking?
The woman has been talking about going down to Brighton for the day for sometime, and wouldn't it be convenient if the speed trials just happen to be on the day we go! ;)

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the speed trials start at around 9.30am normally - and although there is often plenty of space to lurk, at that time the town itself will still be busy.

There are several NCP's around though .... I tend to go for the ones that are near to the Odeon cinema (just up from the seafront).

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I just booked me and the missus into a hotel on the roundabout by the pier for 68.00 plus taxes. I'm hoping to park up in the "pits" as I'll be doing some video work - 6am start mind! see you there!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, when I left I don't think any of the Skylines had run faster than an 11 something (I think Gary had managed an 11.7 in John's "Project GTST" car).

There were a few cars in the very high 10's when I left ... but not many.

Fastest bike I'd seen had run a 9.3 at 160mph ... but they were expecting 8's (one of the bikes had run an 8.7 1/4 two years ago).

·
Registered
566 Posts
Daz, I was there today and I know zero about 1/4 mile stuff; was Gary P using today as shakedown testing? I was expecting more from both the GTart cars but they didn't really deliver, esspecially given what I know they can do.

It seemed as well that on one of Gary's runs in his car he seemed to go from 3rd to 5th or something like that, the revs just dropped off; is that driver or car error?

Was a good day though, so thanks for the heads up, I would have missed it if you hadn't posted this thread.

Mark.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
You could see that the GTST was getting very little grip at all ... I was ABOUT halfway down the strip and the back wheels were just spinning away (on a later run smoke was pouring off the back tyres throughout the run).

Not sure why his GTR times were down - you'd have to ask him. Last year I watched him running mid to lower 10's ... this year I saw him running 11's. Atco had spoken to Gary and commented again on traction issues ... it didn't look too bad mind - certainly not when compared to the GTST.

I too saw the mis-shift (or whatever happened) on one of the runs in the GTR.

What I will say though, is that EVERY time any of the Skylines drew up to the line (or people could see them lining up) there was a real buzz....everyone was anticapting REALLY quick times.

The most impressive cars to me today were the RS200's, the 6R4's and a couple of the Cossie powered motors. As for some of the bikes .... titanium balls those riders !

(Got to love the F40 and F50 though ... :D )

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Glad it's all in 1 piece :)
Our youngests birthday today so no chance of me making it or divorce was looming !! was more than happy to let gary have a play. New suspension on the front so will be good to get his feedback, still old box & No nos connected etc.
Last run really before a few changes before santa pod in Oct & we know there is no issues there with grip.

As far as gary's GTR is concerned he just hasnt had time to do anything with his car. I think he has had it out once on the road since he won the Jap Show finale last year (also heard that had he cracked the sump last night & had to weld it first thing this morning)

Cracking pics daz on the other link :)

Daz said:
You could see that the GTST was getting very little grip at all ... I was ABOUT halfway down the strip and the back wheels were just spinning away (on a later run smoke was pouring off the back tyres throughout the run).

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JB - I was assuming that the car would have a similar set-up as used at TOTB ? ... being that it is a similar kind of surface. Obviously not being a prepped track the grip levels were never going to be like they are at Santa Pod (there were a few cars / bikes sliding around on launch).

If my email will let me, then I might be able to send you the hi-res versions of the pics with your car in. Drop me a PM with your email address if you'd like them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts