GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, yet another Q re bucket seats, subframes and R32's :rolleyes:

Looking at purchasing a WIDE Corbeau Revolution seat for the GTR and was wondering if there were any off the shelf subframes out there that would fit??

I currently have a Bride super low side mount frame which came with the Recaro SP-G I had. I assume this will be too narrow? I'm in 2 minds whether to go and get the frame modified to take the wider seat....
If I can get an off the shelf item then I would sell on the Bride frame.

Anyone using wide Corbeau's? and if so, what frames (or combination thereof) are you using??

TT

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If its any help, I have Sparco EVO 2's/L's in my R32. Tried a pair of Driftworks low seat subframes but ended up making my own fixed subframes to get the seat low enough. Basically with the Drift works type of subframe the seat is too wide to go between the rails and has to sit on top of them which makes it a bit high.

Are the rails on the bride subframes set wide enough apart for it not to be an issue ?

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I purchased Cobra seats and subframes from Demon Tweeks. Could not get my legs under the steering wheel. Ended up getting a mate to break them and reweld them lower. Works a treat!

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So how does that fare with the Time Attack regs?? I see that it says
"must use an FIA approved racing seat with the appropriate slide/mounting". My Corbeau seat says that its only FIA/MSA approved if you use the Corbeau side mountings.
The fact that the R32 has a less than flat floorpan means that using the flat Corbeau mounts is a non-starter unless I do some fabrication to level it off..

Any ideas anyone.

TT

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I used the side mounts onto the lowered subframe. Bottom line is the scrutineers are ok and as long as it looks safe and sturdy they are happy!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ive got corbeau revos and I'm gonna be making my own seat mountings. Theres just not enough space for me to mount them on conventional subframes. The rollcage roof x means no headroom.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have taken the plunge and have started to 'modify' the Bride FG-type subframe. I reckon that by grinding off the seat brackets and turning them through 180deg I can still utilise the front mount but will probably have to get the rear brackets custom made.
Will be looking into this today.

TT

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after a bit of almost 'proper' engineering :), I have managed to make significant progress.....
Ground the welds off between the runner and the angle brackets that hold the seat.Using the longer of the pair of brackets (from the rear) I decided to keep them oriented correctly albeit further apart and use them to secure the front of the seat. A nice bit of welding later, I am VERY chuffed with the result. Only issue is that I didnt have any mild steel bar of the correct thickness to make up 2 brackets for the rear.

At least the seat is now attached to the subframe and is in the car. I used this opportunity to trial fit the seat so I could gauge how suitable the seating/driving position would be. Glad to say that its spot on. I shall fabricate some rear brackets by the end of the week and that will be that.

Its rather annoying that there doesnt 'seem' to be an off the shelf solution for mounting a wide (GT size) race seat in an R32GTR. Still, I have overcome :)

TT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts