GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that bug impacts leave a raised mark in the paint, even after removal with bug remover and polish.

Maybe the so called self healing paint reacts with the bug juice?

I doubt you could see this effect in any paint colours other than black.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm having to be careful removing bugs from mine - and thats on protective film!

Never realised how fast the little bug(er)s are travelling - some of them must in three figures mph when they hit (combined with my 30mph).........

Lots and lots of soaking seems to be the answer (a preliminary soak in the rain is always good), and as little rubbing as possible. Be careful, came across one the other day who must have had a piece of grit inside it and succeeded in rubbling that up and down the surface.....

If you have film on (like the front lower lip does on delivered cars), one other tip - dont worry about getting out the final colour stain - the suns UV light will do that for you.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Bug juice cleans off mine really easily... probably helped somewhat by the layer of Swissvaz Zuffhausen applied prior to collection :) A quick wipe with a QD spray (I'm using Meguiar's Nxt Generation QD at present) and they are gone.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yup a good layer of wax will ensure the bug juice does not get through to the paint and if you want to get them off with out the wiping and potential scratching.
I find a good squirt of this "Einszett Insekt Remover" (correct spelling, it's German) and leave for a few minutes and most of them will just wash off and it will also pretty much leave the wax behind intact :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah I use the Collonite 76 Wax to proect the paint. QD does the job as does the Snow Foamer

Kp

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem getting the bugs off, what I can see, if I look really close with a stong light, is that the paint seems to have risen where the bug splatter was.

You can feel it with your finger tip, but there's no bug material there at all, just a slightly raised area of black paint.

Maybe I'll see if I can photograph it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts