GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above checked my catch tank today and found a fair bit of water.
Is that normal?This is a new engine, when we first ran it there was a mayo type mixture.I did two more oil changes since and i thought the problem was gone.
Then i noticed this today, i took the breather pipe off to the catch tank and steam was coming out of it.there does not seem to be any water in the oil now though.

Very confused.

·
Registered
84 Posts
its probably just moisture in the air.
When it comes out of the motor, the water vapour and air is hot, when it hits your cold catch can, it condenses into water and builds up until you drain it.
The same with the steam coming out, the weather is colder now, so the water vapour creates steam a lot easier.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its probably just moisture in the air.
When it comes out of the motor, the water vapour and air is hot, when it hits your cold catch can, it condenses into water and builds up until you drain it.
The same with the steam coming out, the weather is colder now, so the water vapour creates steam a lot easier.
Thanks for the reply.
Should there be water vapour in the breather though?I thought it was just supposed to be vapourised oil blow by, in the breather system.
I have the hose off the catch tank now and i can see steam/build up of water.Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
yeah - on a cold night steam comes out my catch tank breather - and over time you will get a lot of slightly oily water in the tank, so about every 3 months or so I unbolt and drain mine.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
mine is the same on my recent trip from greece to the uk mine was full of water by the time i reached the uk ...and the same on the return trip ...it's deffo water vapour from the engine . .it's normal

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
As above checked my catch tank today and found a fair bit of water.
Is that normal?This is a new engine, when we first ran it there was a mayo type mixture.I did two more oil changes since and i thought the problem was gone.
Then i noticed this today, i took the breather pipe off to the catch tank and steam was coming out of it.there does not seem to be any water in the oil now though.

Very confused.
but you said it was a new engine .....with rusted through liners ...:confused:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was my old engine refreshed with a new 87mm bore.
The guy who did my engine said hes never seen it happen with a car engine before, and it was extremely unlucky.
That would be my luck alright.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
it's much the whole cylinder wall didn't collapse and explode letting a rod out through the block under the stress of the the engine running if it was that rusty that a hole rusted through
probably over the years someone didn't put enough coolant in the engine just used water which is why it rusted i guess

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it's much the whole cylinder wall didn't collapse and explode letting a rod out through the block under the stress of the the engine running if it was that rusty that a hole rusted through
probably over the years someone didn't put enough coolant in the engine just used water which is why it rusted i guess
Sounds plausible.Doesnt matter now anyway.:bawling:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Once again I would like to state that making catch cans return to the sump is a very bad idea ....
For this exact reason .....
Oh and like everyone says , very common for condensation in the catch can....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once again I would like to state that making catch cans return to the sump is a very bad idea ....
For this exact reason .....
Oh and like everyone says , very common for condensation in the catch can....
Thats good advice.I had mine plumbed under the car to the atmosphere though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts